Originally Posted by JoeBob
Originally Posted by Pete E
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by JBGQUICK
Not Alberta cold. Not many boar in that kind of country in Russia.
They're found in the Leningrad area which is about 60 degrees north, farther north than much of Alberta. They also have them across the northern border into Finland. I don't know how big the population is there, though.

I wonder if the ability to withstand the cold differs between true European wild boar, feral domestic breeds and the various hybreds of the two?

Maybe, but there really isn't much difference between the most domestic of the domesticated breeds and the European boar. Put a hundred percent domestic one outdoors in the wild and pretty soon he is covered in hair. The next generation looks more like a wild boar. Within a few more generations they are mostly solid black with long gristly hair just like in Europe.

I have some game camera pics of a momma and about a dozen little ones. Seven or eight of the little ones are white or the typical multi-colored domestic piglet looking pigs. Four or five of them are brown with the light colored striped just like a European wild boar piglet.

Pigs aren't very domesticated.
I haven't studied swine genetics but I'm assuming that the wild characteristics are a common recessive trait. It wouldn't take too many generations for it to start to be expressed but it won't take over UNLESS the wild boars are much more aggressive breeders than domestic boars and do most of the breeding.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.