Originally Posted by EdM

I am lost on this place. The fixed 6 is Godsend, the fixed 4, well about as good, the 3-9 is too much and the fixed 10 is great... The optics bunch are the looniest of them all. grin

Isn't that the truth?!

It baffles me also how a 3x9 or 2.5x10 is considered way too much scope magnification by some but a fixed 6x is great, never mind that the two variables go to half or less the magnification than the other.

If I had to use a fixed power scope (thankfully I don't) then I'd prefer a 10X over a 6X, I like magnification. A 10X with a properly sized objective and good glass is not going to be dim at last light, but a 10x40 isn't going to cut it. More magnification helps immensely with shot placement when light fades but most guys here don't want the big objectives that it takes to keep a good image at high magnification as the light fades. The reticle is more important and the thin ranging reticles are going to be lost quickly at last light, a good heavy reticle like a #4 will hang in there. Then again I hunt in the south where 90% of our deer activity is at last light, a western hunter who sees most of their game in broad daylight will feel differently about scope choice.

I've got a good friend who uses a S&B 2.5-10 & it hasn't been turned off of 10X since he put it on the rifle 15 years ago. He shoots deer from 10-400 yds with it, running or not. He shoots a lot, knows how to mount his rifle correctly and doesn't have a problem with acquisition.