There was this one time........ about 40 years ago

in a tent-frame camp when I was cooking steaks, which attracted a 2 or 3 year old black. We faced off over the gate, with the safety-off .375 about 8 inches from his nose. Talking and yelling at him did nothing. Abruptly poking him in the nose with the muzzle did. What the heck- I had a half-inch thick, 3 foot high piece of hinged plywood between us. Plus I was a lot more excited than he was...... smile

2 weeks later he was killed pulling that same kinda chit down in Hope, about 10 miles away.

Now I have brown bears thru or past the yard on a regular basis (I have learned the hard way how to keep the damned things off my deck - namely, clean the grill after every use - a real PITA)... but not all that much to get excited about. The Lab does that for me, and pretty much keps them detoured around the place. Today it was wolves or coyotes out there in the woods... Yesterday it was an invading moose - that one I actually saw.

He has different barks for different critters.

Bearanoia is way over-blown. But not to be discounted entirely. I mean, you don't want to put your kid on the back of a Yellowstone park bear for a picture, or some such DS action.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.