Less than 1 in 100... probably closer to 1 in 1,000. And you are in their space, not otherwise

For every time one is aware of a bear, one has encountered at least 10 bears not seen/ heard. And damned few of those encountered are ever a problem if they are wild bears, and not human aclimatized. Or even if they are.

The very rare exceptions make the news. And maul/kill/eat people.

Look at it this way - How many people live in Baltimore? How many people were shot this week?

And yeah, if I was foolish enough to go to Baltimore, I'd pack heat.

I'm likely safer wandering around in bear country unarmed, than I am armed in Baltimore. Or DC. Or Chicago. Or any large city. (It ain't my habitat, for one thing, and the law there isn't on my side, perceivably....)).

That's my perception anyway, but then I like to think I can read bears better than I can those unpredictable humans.

Hell, I know I can. Maybe it's a matter of attention... My wife, on the other hand, being a 40 year Special Ed educator, will have your number nailed within 60 seconds...

But she's also been known to think the Dachshund is the pathfinder.... smile

She has also talked a brown bear sow (with 3 cubs in the yard) off the deck stairs while holdng the .338 WM. Uh - she had the rifle- not the bear...

Last edited by las; 05/26/15.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.