Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Two words...

Kifaru Gunbearer

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
GB1

M
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
M
I guess I'm just totally phugged up! My newest hunting build came in at 10#'s scoped and I consider that my lite hunting rig. For a lot of years I carried a Tikka 695 in 280 which is about 8-9 #s. But for the last 6 years I've pretty much carried 12-14 pound rifles on deer, antelope, elk and Barbary hunts.

I wish somebody would have told me I was doing it wrong! No wonder I couldn't keep up with nmpistolero in them damn rocky ass hills!

Now if I'd only carried my 7lb rifle, wait....hell that would have to be my 22 hornet, maybe I'd have killed something!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Different guys obviously hunt in different terrain, and that influences choices in rifle setup and weight. You'd be kicking yourself all the way down the mountain if you decided to haul a 14 lbs rig, and leave the 7 lbs rifle at home, when hunting BH sheep or back-country elk around these parts...

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
I don't think I've been on a hunt in the last 20 years where I'd rather have a 10lb rifle than an 8lb rifle..... not a single one. But I'm not hip to sitting in a blind/tree stand half a block from home... or hunting from a truck until something is glasses up... maybe I need a better window mount.

I know there are a lot of guys who pack heavy guns set-up for the long ball, but most times a Montucky would suffice for the necessary shot. Seems a lot like the oilfield dudes with the chromed-out diesel 4x4 F-350 on 35's.... hey, they might tow something someday..... but the only action that rig will actually see is when the dipschitt backs over a flower bed.

I can't think of a shot I've taken at a critter where the result woulda been different if I had a heavier/lighter rifle. I know I've never seen someone with a 10lb gun go up a mountain faster than if they had an 8lb gun.... but I have seen that extra couple pounds slow a few guys down (myself included). I know for a fact getting to the top second cost me a bear.... and the guy who beat me to the top was packing an 8lb gun.... I had the Sendero RUM.

I do know there are a lot of times I would have rather had 8lbs of rifle and two extra pounds of water.... than that 10lb gun. Nothing slows me down more than being dehydrated.

I know I've missed a shot opportunity or two because my 10lb rifle was in the pack, not in my hands. If 10lb guns are so good for hunting..... why are all the racks full of sporters at every gun shop I visit? For every 1 guy who intensionally assembles and hauls a 10+lb gun into the field.... there are 99 who take to the hills with something in the 7.5-8.5lb range.... yet I'm supposed to believe that 10-12lbs is a "normal" hunting rig? Y'all sound like the gay-marriage crowd....

I believe one of our resident 10-12lb Hunting Rifle Gurus once used the phrase on a recent hunt: "this pack is brutal..... can someone please carry my rifle"..... enough said, the Defense rests your Honor.....

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
M
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
M
It sounds a like I should get the 4 plate handicap since I'll be out of breath, have a high heart rate and I'll be dragging ass. Lol!!!!

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
I don't think I've been on a hunt in the last 20 years where I'd rather have a 10lb rifle than an 8lb rifle..... not a single one. But I'm not hip to sitting in a blind/tree stand half a block from home... or hunting from a truck until something is glasses up... maybe I need a better window mount.

I know there are a lot of guys who pack heavy guns set-up for the long ball, but most times a Montucky would suffice for the necessary shot. Seems a lot like the oilfield dudes with the chromed-out diesel 4x4 F-350 on 35's.... hey, they might tow something someday..... but the only action that rig will actually see is when the dipschitt backs over a flower bed.

I can't think of a shot I've taken at a critter where the result woulda been different if I had a heavier/lighter rifle. I know I've never seen someone with a 10lb gun go up a mountain faster than if they had an 8lb gun.... but I have seen that extra couple pounds slow a few guys down (myself included). I know for a fact getting to the top second cost me a bear.... and the guy who beat me to the top was packing an 8lb gun.... I had the Sendero RUM.

I do know there are a lot of times I would have rather had 8lbs of rifle and two extra pounds of water.... than that 10lb gun. Nothing slows me down more than being dehydrated.

I know I've missed a shot opportunity or two because my 10lb rifle was in the pack, not in my hands. If 10lb guns are so good for hunting..... why are all the racks full of sporters at every gun shop I visit? For every 1 guy who intensionally assembles and hauls a 10+lb gun into the field.... there are 99 who take to the hills with something in the 7.5-8.5lb range.... yet I'm supposed to believe that 10-12lbs is a "normal" hunting rig? Y'all sound like the gay-marriage crowd....

I believe one of our resident 10-12lb Hunting Rifle Gurus once used the phrase on a recent hunt: "this pack is brutal..... can someone please carry my rifle"..... enough said, the Defense rests your Honor.....

Laffin.... [bleep], my ribs hurt....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I totally agree a super lightweight rifle is better for long pack-ins and outs, especially when coming out with a max pack load...70 pounds plus an 11 pound rifle in a day pack with a belt designed for 40 ain't no fun.

Then there's the other problem some here have to deal with when buying a light rifle on the cheap instead of building one with top quality components. You end up with short, cheap barrels, short stocks, cheap optics etc. that, as demonstrated, gives you a 50% success rate in a situation void of pressure. wink

I think the real reason to go to a lighter hunting rifle is your level of fitness and age.

I know DS has some knee problems. Problems that cancel hunts. M2M also has had some knee surgery that put him out of action for a while. Sucks for sure.

I got to thinking about my left knee last week and how it's starting to give me trouble. I went to the Doc and he examined it and then sent me for X-rays. Sure enough, I have an issue there. I'm definitely going to have to start hunting exclusively with the light custom rig!

[Linked Image]

The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
At least you aren't always stepping on yours.

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
I'm looking forward to seeing the difference between a "Super Lightweight built with the best components".... and one of the most ghetto mass produced sticks in history. Same general weight.... same caliber... same shots... same day... it'll be interesting.....

SLM.... you gotta give guys like Ric and I more credit.... we step on our own dicks all the time....

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Hahahaha arguing with you is like like arguing with a liberal!! No point!! I never said a heavy rifle was the the norm. I said that a 10lb rifle can absolutely be a hunting rifle. I concede that is big country you're hunting and I'd probly never hunt that high. A lighter rifle would be better to pack for sure! But saying 99% of Elmer Fudds are out there bustin brush(running off game, hahaha) with 7-8 pounders doesn't help your cause!! The reason there are so many sporters on the shelves is all the nice 10 lb guns are out killing Shcitt!! Hahaha

If two pounds caused you a couple of missed opportunities, you didn't want it bad enough... Just saying.

It's all in good fun, I couldn't care less what you shoot. Like I said before, everyone on here is tougher than me, can shoot better, see farther, has bigger critters, and taller hills. I don't know a dam thing!

Last edited by NMpistolero; 06/12/15.

"I used to be a tired hunting guide, now I'm just a re-tired hunting guide"

"No eternal reward will forgive us now, for wasting the dawn" JM

Jared
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by NMpistolero
Hahahaha arguing with you is like like arguing with a liberal!! No point!! I never said a heavy rifle was the the norm. I said that a 10lb rifle can absolutely be a hunting rifle. I concede that is big country you're hunting and I'd probly never hunt that high. A lighter rifle would be better to pack for sure! But saying 99% of Elmer Fudds are out there bustin brush(running off game, hahaha) with 7-8 pounders doesn't help your cause!! The reason there are so many sporters on the shelves is all the nice 10 lb guns are out killing Shcitt!! Hahaha

If two pounds caused you a couple of missed opportunities, you didn't want it bad enough... Just saying.

It's all in good fun, I couldn't care less what you shoot. Like I said before, everyone on here is tougher than me, can shoot better, see farther, has bigger critters, and taller hills. I don't know a dam thing!

You left out the part about the X-ray too... LOL

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm looking forward to seeing the difference between a "Super Lightweight built with the best components".... and one of the most ghetto mass produced sticks in history. Same general weight.... same caliber... same shots... same day... it'll be interesting.....

It's more of the "Indian" and not the "arrow".

I've shot well with a rifle you consider more of a piece of junk than the RAR

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
I'm looking forward to seeing it....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My lightweight Creedmoor shoots better than my match rifle...

.7" at 200

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Then why shoot your "match" rifle? Wait.... I thought that was a hunting rifle.... I'm confused.

If 10-12-15lb guns aren't a problem.... why drop the dough on a "lightweight Hunter"?

Last edited by Dogshooter; 06/12/15.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

e.... I'm confused.

Yep.

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Asking for a clarification.... if your light gun shoots better than your match gun... why would you ever shoot the match gun?

If heavy rifles aren't a hindrance in the field, yet offer all these supposed advantages when shooting... why build a light weight HUNTER?

Kinda stepping on your dick there.....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You've seen the X-ray. You should understand.

Match rifles are configured differently for reasons. Stocks with adjustable combs to fit shooters with upscale scopes with a ton of travel and a canted 20 to 30 MOA rail for extreme long range target engagement. Adjustable LOP's. Stiff stocks for accuracy and no accuracy shifts. Heavier barrels to withstand stages where you may need to fire 30 rounds in a couple of minutes. Bottom metal to accept high-capacity magazines. Stocks are configured for positional shooting advantages etc.

The Lightweight rifle is for easy carry, shots at shorter ranges, lightweight lower-powered optics, blind mags because you're not gonna shoot more than a few rounds, and LONG distance pack trips.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I prefer to still-hunt, but have no problem punching tags from the mobile blind. My FIL probably shot 100 whitetails from the seat of his Chevy and most of them parked in the same exact spot. He always turned the engine off and wore his orange hunting hat and vest to make it legal. Even so, the local CO tried to catch him doing something illegal for years and was never able to write a single ticket. When you have 7,000 acres of ground to hunt, being able to move rapidly across 11 square mile with a variety of difference habitats is useful.

I did see a humorous mobile blind a couple of years ago, a guy with a Primos Double Bull blind in the back of an F250 crew-cab. Seemed like a lot of work with little ROI to me. The guy even draped a camo net across the front of the truck.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's illegal in NM to shoot at game from your truck. You must be 40 feet off of a road as well. It's easy to carry an 11 pound rifle 40 feet.

laugh

Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (1badf350, 22250rem, 1lessdog, 1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 65 invisible), 2,427 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,949
Posts18,519,247
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.