Campfire Ranger
J
I am ordering a bulls bag myself!

GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
y'all really like bulls bags? I would rather use a light front rest, not the heavy BR ones, but a light one with a small bag... I just can't get used to bulls bags, hard to move and position the gun the way you want it to be, at least for me.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Proprietary was probably a bad choice of words on my part but he's the only guy I know of doing it to Mini 14's.

What he does is drill holes in the bottom of the action and in the rifle stock. Then metal pins are affixed in the stock. I imagine it's a 2 part epoxy but I don't know exactly what he uses. When the action goes in the stock the affixed stock pins slide in the new holes in the action holding it firmly in place. The back right pin has a hole drilled in it and is threaded to accept a screw. The charging race way is drilled so this screw sets flush in the race way.

Does sound anything like the way it's done on a M14? If so it kinda makes sense where idea came from. That's about as well as I can describe it on a smart phone. I'll be back in town Saturday and will pop it out of stock and snap a few pics if you'd like to see it.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Thats not like its done on an M14, but I that type of bedding has been done for a long time.

Its not quite what I was expecting. Be cool to see a few pics.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rost495
Thats not like its done on an M14, but I that type of bedding has been done for a long time.

Its not quite what I was expecting. Be cool to see a few pics.

Here are a few pics of the work done.

The action is drilled in 3 locations. 2 are drilled completly through and a pin holds the third one.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The stock is drilled then pins and inserts are installed.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

after installed the action is held firmly in place to the stock.
[Linked Image]

Here is the barrel profile. It finishes out at .750
[img]http://photos.imageevent.com/lucky/stillerxtrifle/large/mini%2014%20dddd%20007.JPG[/img]

Here is another really neat feature he does, the barrel isn't cut to fit the the gas block. The gas block is made to fit the barrel. This one is adjustable which is a nice feature if you use a suppressor. Ruger should adopt this feature on their factory rifles!
[img]http://photos.imageevent.com/lucky/stillerxtrifle/large/mini%2014%20dddd%20008.JPG[/img]

I really like what he did here. He turned down the barrel to accept the factory front sight and then threaded the end.
[img]http://photos.imageevent.com/lucky/stillerxtrifle/large/mini%2014%20dddd%20010.JPG[/img]

I really like this platform and for me it's just fun to shoot which is why I do this. It's just a fun hobby. Off a good rest I can get MOA groups with this rifle, sometimes it'll do even better and for me it's accurate enough to keep it interesting.

Now don't get me wrong here. If I had to choose between a Mini 14 and an AR-15, I'd take the AR every time but I don't and enjoy this along with my AR's.

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Not at all what I expected. Those are simply pins and not threaded I'm guessing.

What holds the pins in the stock? Bedding compound?

Why is the action not bedded then also? I haven't taken a mini apart in 35 years so I may totally miss it, but it seems like bedding the action under a bit of tension would really help it out.

His work looks really good though.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I've got that same pin/screw bedding job on my mini-30, work was done by 348srfun though. I don't think I have ever seen "good" 7.62x39 ammo on the shelf though so I won't waste my time shooting it in this challenge.

Last edited by wareagle700; 06/13/15.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I haven't shot factory ammo in so long, centerfire that is, that I can't remember actually... well CF shotgun ammo.... but not metallic.

reloaded X39 is more than accurate enough.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wareagle700
I've got that same pin/screw bedding job on my mini-30, work was done by 348srfun though. I don't think I have ever seen "good" 7.62x39 ammo on the shelf though so I won't waste my time shooting it in this challenge.

Federal soft points from the blue box and Remington green box soft point ammo shot close to MOA from a CZ 527 Carbine I had, FWIW.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not at all what I expected. Those are simply pins and not threaded I'm guessing.

What holds the pins in the stock? Bedding compound?

Why is the action not bedded then also? I haven't taken a mini apart in 35 years so I may totally miss it, but it seems like bedding the action under a bit of tension would really help it out.

His work looks really good though.

I'm guessing the pins are set with compound but don't know. There isn't enough gap between the pin and the stock to really tell what it is. As far as bedding goes, I guess he feels this is sufficient. I've thought about glassbedding also but haven't as of yet. I may give it a try soon.

IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
So, I'm what most people would consider "quasi-honest." And when I read wareagle's rules, I was pretty certain I could game this and get my M&P Flattop into the top 5 if I did enough cherry pickin'. This rifle is bone stock except for a two-stage RRA trigger.

But (kudos to wareagle) that wasn't really possible without blatantly lying. Which my religion does not allow.

Right out of the gate I shot two 10 shot groups on a couple big ass dots I spray painted onto a cardboard box. I was using an ACOG. Average for groups was 2.6. I knew I could do better.

[Linked Image]

After that, I slapped a 3-10X Weaver and PEPR mount on top. Tried again. Wind was awful. Schit averaged 2.4.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

So of course, tried one more time. Calm day. No excuses. 10X magnification.

Averaged 2.3.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Long story short, the 10 shot group (as I have always said) will truly separate the men from the boys. This rifle has shot boat loads of sub-1", three shot groups. The 10 shot group is a KILLAH!

Travis

Last edited by deflave; 06/15/15. Reason: Wrong pic and forgot to mention rifle used.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by deflave
So, I'm what most people would consider "quasi-honest." And when I read wareagle's rules, I was pretty certain I could game this and get my M&P Flattop into the top 5 if I did enough cherry pickin'.

But (kudos to wareagle) that wasn't really possible without blatantly lying. Which my religion does not allow.

Right out of the gate I shot two 10 shot groups on a couple big ass dots I spray painted onto a cardboard box. I was using an ACOG. Average for groups was 2.6. I knew I could do better.

[Linked Image]

After that, I slapped a 3-10X Weaver and PEPR mount on top. Tried again. Wind was awful. Schit averaged 2.4.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

So of course, tried one more time. Calm day. No excuses. 10X magnification.

Averaged 2.3.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Long story short, the 10 shot group (as I have always said) will truly separate the men from the boys. This rifle has shot boat loads of sub-1", three shot groups. The 10 shot group is a KILLAH!

Travis

I'd give you an A for effort.. grin

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I"m thinking if you are measuring the way you shot em, their is a fair amount of wind factor in those groups.

Not bad shooting really.

It took me, the 3 shot I'm a hunter shooter, about FOREVER to learn to shoot a half azz good 10 shot group in rapid fire or 10 shot slow string. Never mind how long it took to learn to shoot 22 good shots in a row every match....

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I'd give you an A for effort.. grin

That's something. I guess.

Dave

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I"m thinking if you are measuring the way you shot em, their is a fair amount of wind factor in those groups.

Not bad shooting really.

It took me, the 3 shot I'm a hunter shooter, about FOREVER to learn to shoot a half azz good 10 shot group in rapid fire or 10 shot slow string. Never mind how long it took to learn to shoot 22 good shots in a row every match....

The wind on Sunday was horrible. About 20mph and it literally stopped and switched from a 3 o'clock to 9 o'clock half-way through the shooting.

Anyway, cool test. I'd be curious to see what would happen if I put a free-float on mine.

Travis

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
There are a lot of "3 shot group" guys that are sure they could be right up there but will never know cause they don't want to know the truth.

I'm fine tuning a few things and will try again, testing ourselves and our equipment makes this contest a worthwhile endeavor.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I started shooting more 10 shot groups in the past year. Mostly based on a lot of Formidilio's and Barsness' comments on here.

This was the first time I shot 10 shot groups with my AR though.

Travis

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Floating that gun, if shot off a rest, and the front rest is against the mag well, won't change a whole lot. But it won't hurt it either.

Lets say this, I"d take a Krieger or like, not floated over a Colt or like floated any day.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Lets say this, I"d take a Krieger or like, not floated over a Colt or like floated any day.

Interesting.

Travis

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deflave
I started shooting more 10 shot groups in the past year. Mostly based on a lot of Formidilio's and Barsness' comments on here.

This was the first time I shot 10 shot groups with my AR though.

Travis

2x 10 shot groups is tough, I can get 3 shot under 1/2" with my 6.5 Grendel, but 10 shot is 1.5" - 2" without any wind on a good day.

This is about as good as I can do with a 4.5 - 18 Bushnell AR scope, bipod, standard FCG, and rear bag prone. Mixed Lapua and Hornady brass w/123gr sst. I have well under a $1k in this setup with the scope, so it's not a cool as a lot of these rigs but probably MOW (minute of wolf) to 500 yds.

[Linked Image]

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
Page 18 of 63 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 62 63

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 1234, 219DW, 65 invisible), 2,854 guests, and 1,170 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,312
Posts18,487,270
Members73,968
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.