Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
My boy scout troop had a crew hiking Philmont last week....all are well. There are 1-2 deaths at Philmont every summer mostly adults from heart attacks.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When I did the Philmont adventure back in the 60s it was emphasized about staying out of the gullies and arroyos because of flash floods. I've even seen this safety guide line in the Sunday cartoon 'Mark Trail' Somebody was not paying attention.
May the lord help the family.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Prayers to the family and friends.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Prayers for the lost Scout and his family. My oldest boy heads there in four weeks. So, this really hits home. From what I've heard, this crew was at a staffed camp with three adults and a Ranger when they got hit with 9"+ of rain in less than 1.5 hours. When you head outdoors, it's hard to prepare for every eventuality. Anyone who thinks they can hasn't spent enough time outdoors.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Years ago when my boys where in the Scouts, I became a Scoutmaster.
When they grew up and left, so did I. I always wondered about lawsuits and did not like the vague and hazy answers I got when I asked.
I once grabbed a little guy's shirt collar just as he was sliding over the edge of a cliff. He was hunched over and frozen in fear, doing nothing to stop his slide. Gives you something to think about.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DoubleH
Prayers for the lost Scout and his family. My oldest boy heads there in four weeks. So, this really hits home. From what I've heard, this crew was at a staffed camp with three adults and a Ranger when they got hit with 9"+ of rain in less than 1.5 hours. When you head outdoors, it's hard to prepare for every eventuality. Anyone who thinks they can hasn't spent enough time outdoors.

Amen,

Mother Nature gives, and she also takes away.

Greg

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm gonna give props to ANYONE who takes parties of youths out into the woods nowadays. So many things that can happen and so much liability you take on. And I deal with high school kids, thirteen year olds are a whole 'nother order of magnitude.

The gist I'm getting is that this was on the scale of a freak accident, so unusually high was that flood. I feel for the bereaved family, but just as much for the adults in charge frown

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My role has been to supervise about 90-mile white water rafting trips. Early on the boys will toe the line. With a little time and experience behind them, however, they want to start testing the waters. The biggest hassle though is controlling the accompanying adults that egg them on. Last trip was the first time we ever flipped a raft when against orders a group ventured ahead. Fortunately a sprained wrist was the only injury.

A lifetime experience for most of the kids as they'll never repeat it as adults. At my age though, I'm having second thoughts about taking on those risks and will likely call it quits.

I can not imagine the feelings one endures at the loss of a child.

Last edited by 1minute; 07/02/15.

1Minute
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
DoubleH;
Good morning to you sir, I trust this finds you and yours well.

I wanted to say I agree with your post in that my thoughts and prayers are with the family and friends left behind.

As a fellow father it's tough to read about events such as this and I can scarcely imagine the burden on the boys' parents and leaders now.

I'm trusting that your son has a grand time however and will have experiences that will make for a lifetime of wonderful memories for him.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Thanks, Dwayne. My only regret is that after doing all the work of planning this for his Troop work is preventing me from tagging along...

Originally Posted by BC30cal
DoubleH;
Good morning to you sir, I trust this finds you and yours well.

I wanted to say I agree with your post in that my thoughts and prayers are with the family and friends left behind.

As a fellow father it's tough to read about events such as this and I can scarcely imagine the burden on the boys' parents and leaders now.

I'm trusting that your son has a grand time however and will have experiences that will make for a lifetime of wonderful memories for him.

Dwayne

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This boy was lost due to an act of God, nothing else.

Just wait, this evening will bring out the liberal blissninnies on the MSM braying about shutting down scout camps.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Damn right, they'd be SO very much safer in those parades out in SanFranFreako, wouldn't they ?

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by mark shubert
Greg - forgive them - for they've never been in that country.

I archery hunted the adjoining ranch for elk which abuts the west side of the Philmont.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by eyeball
Originally Posted by mark shubert
Greg - forgive them - for they've never been in that country.

I archery hunted the adjoining ranch for elk which abuts the west side of the Philmont.

Well, THAT being the case, you just better haul ass up there with tar and feathers and a rope,.....and go after those event coordinators, hadn't you.

....in a word,.....Pitiful

GTC

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Hey, what a great idea. Maybe I'll do that in a few years.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
So Gregg, you disagree with my assertion that grown scout leaders and instructors should be held responsible if they were aware of nearby rainstorms and left kids to sleep by a creek or in the bottom of a canyon?

I'm sure if it it had been your son you'd be satisfied with saying, "Well, chitt happens".

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've done several treks through Philmont, as have my father and brother. We've also spent a lot of time camping in and around that area. It can be a dangerous place, but I can see how something like this could happen. Kids and adults from all over the world go out there to hike. Once the guide leaves you're on your own. Judgement calls about where to walk, how close to an edge to get, where to sleep, etc. are different among people. This is a very unfortunate case, but I don't know that negligence is the proper term.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by eyeball
So Gregg, you disagree with my assertion that grown scout leaders and instructors should be held responsible if they were aware of nearby rainstorms and left kids to sleep by a creek or in the bottom of a canyon?

I'm sure if it it had been your son you'd be satisfied with saying, "Well, chitt happens".

Don't put words in my mouth, Mister.

You can barely formulate coherent or intelligent words of your own.

...and lets PARK the vituperation and show a little respect for the solemn nature of this particular thread, shall we ?

Apologies to all and sundry to all for my losing it with this mouthy jackwagon.

GTC

GTC

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
From reading through the thread, it appears there was also a "Ranger" on hand?

Presumably a regular employee with experience in the area?

Some questions are, did that nine inches of rain in two hours fall down upon THEM? If not did they have any way of suspecting rains of that magnitude were occurring?.

Nine inches of rain in two hours is a LOT, I'm not sure I myself have ever witnessed that much in that short a period of time, and I've been in East and Central Texas thirty years.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
The three weeks I spent at Philmont at age 14 were one of the defining events of my life. We were out of touch with anyone (no cell phones in those days) for several days straight, living off of what we carried on our backs. I don't think any of us city kids could ever have a finer adventure, or become a finer young man as a result. It saddens me that someone else could meet death in such a manner in such an otherwise beautiful place, a place that embodies all that is good about the Great West.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

235 members (12344mag, 1lessdog, 1lesfox, 2500HD, 219DW, 007FJ, 18 invisible), 1,701 guests, and 931 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,872
Posts18,478,727
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.