Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
A long article from the American Conservative on what a lying piece of schit John McCain is/was on being a war hero and the POW issue:

http://www.theamericanconservative.com/articles/mccain-and-the-pow-cover-up/

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Ron_T
I sorta liked Trump and his often "straight" talk... but that all changed when he made that stupid statement about prisoners-of-war NOT being "heroes"... especially when those brave and honorable warriors were TORTURED so horribly.

And I'm NOT talking about McCain, but ALL prisoners-of-war.

I.E., Trump just LOST my vote... even if he runs in '16 ! But... after his stupid comment, I'm sure he won't even be on the "List" of those running for President.

And, funny as it seems to be... Trump "shot-himself-in-the-MOUTH"... not in the "foot"!!!

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.
Terming POWs automatic heroes is a pretty recent phenomenon. Used to be a war hero was someone along the lines of a srgt Alvin York.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by travelingman1
I am a veteran and his remarks did not offend me.
Ditto..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It doesn't really make much difference how anyone feels about Trump's comments. The news media hates him because he shows them absolutely no respect and publicly outs their edits and slants on what he says.

They will bury him with his own truthfulness before it's over. It's just the way the system works..they decide.

Just in recent history I watched them do a number on Gore and then Hillary Clinton when the black boy got in the race.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Obama kills veterans every day by making them wait for life saving care in our corrupt VA hospital system BUT everyone is all jacked up about Trump's perceived insult to a veteran former POW. It's a mad, mad world.

I'm better when I move.
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by JoeBob
A long article from the American Conservative on what a lying piece of schit John McCain is/was on being a war hero and the POW issue:

From your link...

All humans have breaking points. Many men undergoing torture give confessions, often telling huge lies so their fakery will be understood by their comrades and their country. Few will fault them. But it was McCain who apparently felt he had disgraced himself and his military family. His father, John S. McCain II, was a highly regarded rear admiral then serving as commander of all U.S. forces in the Pacific. His grandfather was also a rear admiral.

In his bestselling 1999 autobiography, Faith of My Fathers, McCain says he felt bad throughout his captivity because he knew he was being treated more leniently than his fellow POWs, owing to his high-ranking father and thus his propaganda value. Other prisoners at Hoa Lo say his captors considered him a prize catch and called him the “Crown Prince,” something McCain acknowledges in the book.

Also in this memoir, McCain expresses guilt at having broken under torture and given the confession. “I felt faithless and couldn’t control my despair,” he writes, revealing that he made two “feeble” attempts at suicide. (In later years, he said he tried to hang himself with his shirt and guards intervened.) Tellingly, he says he lived in “dread” that his father would find out about the confession. “I still wince,” he writes, “when I recall wondering if my father had heard of my disgrace.”

He says that when he returned home, he told his father about the confession, but “never discussed it at length”—and the admiral, who died in 1981, didn’t indicate he had heard anything about it before. But he had. In the 1999 memoir, the senator writes, “I only recently learned that the tape … had been broadcast outside the prison and had come to the attention of my father.”

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I don't begrudge somebody confessing under torture. It does not make you a hero, though.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
BOWSINGER: I strongly dislike John McCain and hate MANY of his political stances.
I think he should be re-called.
I hold the people of Arizona responsible for keeping this crazy RINO in office!
But as much as I wish McCain were not in a position of power I also feel Trumps comments were so far out of line as to be bordering on "beserk egomaniacal"!
Leave it to the Republicans (so called Republicans!) to self destruct.
I do disagree that Trumps bizzarro and ego-maniacal comments are an insult "to all veterans" like you apparently stated in your posts heading.
Trumps comment was insulting to McCain.
Trump has now self destructed his political ambitions.
What a phawkinggoof.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by BOWSINGER

From your link...

All humans have breaking points. Many men undergoing torture give confessions, often telling huge lies so their fakery will be understood by their comrades and their country. Few will fault them. But it was McCain who apparently felt he had disgraced himself and his military family. His father, John S. McCain II, was a highly regarded rear admiral then serving as commander of all U.S. forces in the Pacific. His grandfather was also a rear admiral.

In his bestselling 1999 autobiography, Faith of My Fathers, McCain says he felt bad throughout his captivity because he knew he was being treated more leniently than his fellow POWs, owing to his high-ranking father and thus his propaganda value. Other prisoners at Hoa Lo say his captors considered him a prize catch and called him the “Crown Prince,” something McCain acknowledges in the book.

Also in this memoir, McCain expresses guilt at having broken under torture and given the confession. “I felt faithless and couldn’t control my despair,” he writes, revealing that he made two “feeble” attempts at suicide. (In later years, he said he tried to hang himself with his shirt and guards intervened.) Tellingly, he says he lived in “dread” that his father would find out about the confession. “I still wince,” he writes, “when I recall wondering if my father had heard of my disgrace.”

He says that when he returned home, he told his father about the confession, but “never discussed it at length”—and the admiral, who died in 1981, didn’t indicate he had heard anything about it before. But he had. In the 1999 memoir, the senator writes, “I only recently learned that the tape … had been broadcast outside the prison and had come to the attention of my father.”

Says he. Literally, John McCain himself is almost the sole source of everything from his captivity.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
No offense to you Vets out there, but Trump's thrown political correctness out the window (with everything) and it's a breath of fresh air.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Benedict Arnold
John Kerry
John McCain

All war hero's.............

All traitor's

Now John is saying the "the crazies" was a term of endearment.

Sure John, whatever you say.

KMS Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I sorta liked Trump and his often "straight" talk... but that all changed when he made that stupid statement about prisoners-of-war NOT being "heroes"... especially when those brave and honorable warriors were TORTURED so horribly.

I.E., Trump just LOST my vote... even if he runs in '16 ! But... after his stupid comment, I'm sure he won't even be on the "List" of those running for President.

And, funny as it seems to be... Trump "shot-himself-in-the-MOUTH"... not in the "foot"!!!

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

Not to sound like Trump's a great guy, but he never said that no POWs were heros. Just McCain. Don't fall prey to the propaganda.

Kelly
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SU35
Benedict Arnold
John Kerry
John McCain

All war hero's.............

All traitor's

This.

McCain is the first to wave the bloody shirt in order to deflect any attention or blame from himself. He has done more to undermine the Constitution and damage the U.S. than any politician in recent memory and his track record of selling out the nation for his own egotistical ends spans decades.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Trump is saying the right things, but he's saying them WRONG. He's articulating important stuff, in the wrong way.

For example, McCain wasn't that much of a pilot, driving Scooters versus F-8s or F-4s. Had a rep as a party animal, etc etc etc. Basically, had McCain not been shot down, not been busted up so bad, but had done his tour and come home safe, he'd not be a Senator.

His conduct in the Hanoi Hilton was without a doubt, bad-@$$ honorable, but honestly nothing more than was expected of him as an officer and gentleman and son/grandson of flag-ranked Navy.

Being an exemplary prisoner of war model does not necessarily mean one will be a great politician. As a politician, McCain stinks.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
kind of nice to see a guy running for office that won't back down.

that said, if Trump takes that kind of bravado into the white house and doesn't have the backing of the American people behind him, his presidency will be a train wreck.

Seriously, if calling a bunch of people that follow Trump crazies is enough to get Trump to go for the jugular without any regard to the fall out of his off the cuff comments, I can't imagine what he'd say when someone really goes after him.

He'd probably pull a Sara Palin and tell the heads of offices to go after them - like the IRS or Federal Marshalls.

Today its John McCain who is so universally despised by everyone who didn't grow up listening to the Glenn Miller Orchestra that its really no big deal, but does Trump have the discipline to control it?

Last edited by KFWA; 07/20/15.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B

Says he. Literally, John McCain himself is almost the sole source of everything from his captivity.

Alex BregmanJuly 20, 2015
As the war of words between Donald Trump and Sen. John McCain continues to escalate, Yahoo news and finance anchor Bianna Golodryga spoke to Capt. Charlie Plumb, a former Vietnam prisoner of war who was held alongside McCain in the notorious Hanoi Hilton.

Plumb said McCain was the worst-injured POW he saw in his more than 2,000 days at the Hanoi Hilton.

After he heard Trump’s criticism of McCain, Plumb said the words of “this draft dodger” were “insignificant” to him.

On Trump’s criticism of the Veterans Affairs system, Plumb said, “I don’t really think he represents the majority of the veterans.”
Plumb went on to say he had once worked with Trump, ironically enough, on McCain’s 2008 presidential run, and had found him to be a smart and engaging personality. But Trump’s Vietnam-era draft deferment and comments about POWs would make it very hard for the captain to vote for the presidential candidate.
“I wouldn’t want him as my wingman,” he concluded.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Never mind that Paul Reikhoff is pretty much a Dem tool.

From Wiki
Rieckhoff's book, Chasing Ghosts, is a scathing criticism of the Iraq War and President George Bush that was praised by most critics.[13]

He has been a vocal advocate for gay rights and the repeal of Don't Ask Don't Tell--and reform of the military's sexual assault policies. [14]

Rieckhoff was a vocal critic of the film, The Hurt Locker, posting a piece in Newsweek, titled "Veterans: Why 'The Hurt Locker' Isn't Reality"[15] and appearing on PBS Newshour to state his position.[16]

Rieckhoff was a strong supporter of the controversial film, American Sniper, writing a review for Variety stating, “'American Sniper' is the single best work of film about the Iraq War ever made."[17]

In 2015, Rieckhoff appeared on Comedy Central's The Nightly Show to defend American Sniper as an effective public awareness tool for veterans causes.[18]

Posts on Huffington Post quite a bit.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Being a veteran my self, I'd still pick Trump over most of the current nominees. McCain doesn't match up to what I'd call presidential timber.

The things that come to those that wait may be the things left by those who got there first.

Unk
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.
Terming POWs automatic heroes is a pretty recent phenomenon. Used to be a war hero was someone along the lines of a srgt Alvin York.

hell who isn't a hero nowadays. A guy serving in Iraq in the back lines as a mechanic is called a hero. A guy pulling a dog out of a lake is a hero. A woman taking care of her kids by working 2 jobs is a hero.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Juan McStain needs to retire and roll on down the highway like a tumbleweed. Maybe Cindy McCain will let him sling pallets of beer from a forklift in one of her warehouses if he needs something to do......

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

Page 5 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (1234, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 160user, 17CalFan, 57 invisible), 2,103 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,016
Posts18,481,606
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.