Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Well the boys have talked me into to going up to the Colorado ranch. Haven't decided if I'll hunt. But if I do, this year's rifle of choice will be my old Model 54 Winchester in .30 Govt 1906 ctg.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Thanks, guys. Johnny, we'l be hunting off horses in the Idaho property. Over the last two years I managed to drop fifty pounds and I'm back to running 3miles/dayX4 times/week. Still, I'll be 62 then and the Outfitter Roulan Jones knows this. That rifle is about 8lb with a full magazine.

Wow! Congratulations on that, Jorge! It might be easier to drive out to the ranch from Fla. rather than run out though...especially carrying an 8# rifle on your back. wink

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
smile. It looks like we fly into Ogden, then it's only a 30 mile drive to the main camp. if you guys visit their website (it's very well put together) you can see some gorgeous scenery. We'll be doing the Spike Camp whilst the wives stay down in the main camp, although I'll have to see of it's close enough to gallop down for a "nooner" smile

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
You should have included ANY AI cartridge to REALLY set me off! smile

You know your favorite rifle is an improved 300 H&H, don't you? grin

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Yes, but then again so is anything with a Weatherby headstamp that REALLY improved the parent case and a 300 H&H is a 3006 AI I suppose...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B2

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
gallop down for a "nooner" smile

That's elk hunting at its finest.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks, guys. Johnny, we'l be hunting off horses in the Idaho property. Over the last two years I managed to drop fifty pounds and I'm back to running 3miles/dayX4 times/week. Still, I'll be 62 then and the Outfitter Roulan Jones knows this. That rifle is about 8lb with a full magazine.

I'm no expert on elk hunting (I am now in NM and planning my first one here), but from what I've heard, you could hardly do better than to book with Rulon Jones at either of his Broadmouth Canyon Ranch sites in Idaho and Utah.

Jones is of course the former Denver Broncos all pro defensive back out of Utah State who wisely set up huge hunting properties to pursue his passion.

I envy you the opportunity to do this. Looks like a great rifle for the job.

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).
jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks, Anjin. My friends here Pugs and Hatari are also going and we really liked Rulon when we met and booked with at DSC.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The more hunters I guide the less I think all this matters.

However, the "best" rifle I've had a client show up with was a pre 64 300 H&H with 180 NPs.

I think you'll be fine.

although I'll have to see of it's close enough to gallop down for a "nooner"

Isn't this a full service camp, won't they bring the lovely wife up to spike camp for you? laugh

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Maybe they will! Oh BTW guys, wrong state, we are hunting the OTHER property here:

daho Property. (Cedar Creek Rd, Firth, ID 83236

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Take the Win. pre-64 model 70. Any rifle that shoots that accurately needs to go elk hunting. Besides, with the money you'll save in not having to work up accurate loads, you will be able to replace your worn-out set of calipers…just kidding.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Most of my elk have been taken walking the mountains of Colorado at 11,000 - 12,000 feet where my rifles (338-06, 35 Whelen and 375 H&H) have been pretty light in weight, 7 1/2 or less. They will continue to be. I will be using my 270 Win Kimber Montana this year. Off a horse weight matters little though I still used the aforementioned Whelen. IIRC, that ranch guarantees their hunts so I cannot imagine it is a rigorous one so your pick is perfect I suppose.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
EdM, last year in CO we camped at 11K feet and hunted up to 12K feet. Over the years hunting in Colorado, I used my 300 Win Mag, my 9.3x62 and one of my favorites, a 358 Win. We are heading back to the same general area this year and I will likely be taking my lightweight Tikka 7mm-08. The biggest problem I have is which load to use. It shoots 140 and 150 grain Nosler Partitions fairly accurately and 140 grain Barnes TTSX even better. The most accurate round I've shot is a factory loaded 156 grain Norma Oryx. I think any one of these will do the trick but, I've yet to decide which bullet to use.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

This is what to expect at Rulon's ranch. Big but not typical....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by shrapnel

This is what to expect at Rulon's ranch. Big but not typical....

[Linked Image]

One of these day, Deflave will be in that picture.... I'm hoping he brings the right ammo next time... whistle

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Why wait...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Classic cartridge in a classic rifle. Love my Sako FN 300 H&H in a McMillan McWoody. Perfect Elk Rifle.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Why wait...

[Linked Image]

Oh man that made my day I cant stop laughing...

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
That elk will certainly do!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Why wait...

[Linked Image]

OMG, that is funny!!!!! Laffin pretty hard here. laugh

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

128 members (44mc, 3333vl, 7887mm08, 308ld, 35, 12 invisible), 1,533 guests, and 871 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,766
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.