Hop To
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
These things are always bad news.

My first question is, did he have/deploy bear spray, a gun, both, neither, or......?

http://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/new...-authorities-say/ar-BBlAAA4?ocid=DELLDHP

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
So, do we ban bears?

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sounds like he ran into a momma and cub. I worked in Glacier for one summer and Teton for two summers. When you spend your entire summer there, you are going to have grizzly interactions if you hike a lot. Iy happened to me in Glacier, Yellowstone and Teton, as well as in the Absarokas. One of my co-workers in Glacier, Gary Goeden was killed by a momma grizz when he was hiking near Many Glacier. He was an experienced hiker, but he bumped into a mama griz off-trail. Unless the bear spray is in your hand ready to go, you are toast.

I hear a lot of people talking about carrying when in Yellowstone as protection from bears. The reality is if you killa charging bear in Yellowstone and you don't already have a big chunk out of your butt, be prepared get prosecuted and lose all your guns forever.

Best you can do is hike with your head on a swivel - make noise and don't hike alone.

Last edited by WyColoCowboy; 08/09/15.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by 5sdad
So, do we ban bears?

I believe we need to ban movie theaters before we get to bears.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
My first question is, did he have/deploy bear spray, a gun, both, neither, or......?

My second question is, did the bear see him first?

IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by WyColoCowboy
Sounds like he ran into a momma and cub... Unless the bear spray is in your hand ready to go, you are toast.

I hear a lot of people talking about carrying when in Yellowstone as protection from bears. The reality is if you killa charging bear in Yellowstone and you don't already have a big chunk out of your butt, be prepared get prosecuted and lose all your guns forever.

Best you can do is hike with your head on a swivel - make noise and don't hike alone.

True dat. I'm convinced the main reason I didn't get killed by that mama grizzly when I was 15 is that there were 5 of us fairly close together. She bluff-charged, but if there'd only been one or two, I fear it may not have been a bluff.

Mamas with cubs can be hard to reason with.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I spent 64 days in the park from April 1 to August 1, will probably go back October until we get snowed out..

I feared the asian drivers, buffalo, moose, then griz, in that order.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by tjm10025
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

My second question is, did the bear see him first?

Of course it did. It heard and smelt him too.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Probably so, but I think I'd still rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6. wink

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

It's better to survive a bear attack and fight the politicians afterwards, an unarmed fight with a grizzly is a one-sided proposition.

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Going Mano el Mano with a Grizz with a "hiking" knife doesn't appeal very much to me. The few times I've been in YellowStone, I was packing a Glock 20 in 10mm. I figure that beats the heck out of a sharp stick, any ole day of the week. YMMV

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

What's better? Ensure you smear bacon grease on the shoes of your 'friend' and that it's a person you can outrun...

laugh laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Bears and people in the same spaces. Once in a while things are gonna happen, no way around it, maybe sometimes even to the best prepared and aware.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I thought we could carry in national parks these days?

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by rost495
I thought we could carry in national parks these days?

You can.

Camp is where you make it.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Probably so, but I think I'd still rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6. wink

Or eaten by a bear.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
You can carry in a national park if your permit is recognized by the State that contains the park.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I thought so, so then you would or should not get charged if you have to kill a bear in self defense.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wonder, if it had been a black bear, would the news article have just reported it as a bear attack?

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
LOL. Good one.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (10ring1, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 1badf350, 61 invisible), 2,401 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,044
Posts18,500,842
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.