Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
H
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
I've found a VX2 1-4, that I'm considering having a #1 installed in, to ride on a custom .357 Max bbl for deer/hogs at <200. Any further insight on the reticle vs HD, #4, and P&D for speed and low light use, would be appreciated. Already have some HDs on other Leupys, and like them just fine.

I did find some opinion from Chuck Hawks about the German #1, that gave me a chuckle:

German #1 - Just about the worst of all possible worlds. This reticle incorporates the #4's heavy posts at right and left, but dispenses with the crosshair. Instead, the lower post is extended to the middle of the field in a "picket fence post" shape and becomes the aiming point. Subtends even more of the target than the #1 and adds the imprecision of a pointed post. Not a good design for a low light reticle, but apparently popular in Germany.

GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
At the risk of making you chuckle again, I'm inclined to agree with chuckhawks. I have a Hensoldt with a Nr 1 reticle sitting on the shelf. I found that it was not well-suited to taking precise aim, and while the reticle occupies a lot of real estate it seemed that you don't find the top of the point consistently and quickly like you find the middle with a Nr 4. It seems like a reticle for the person used to open sights with a barleycorn front (an arrangement I'm not keen on either). It may be different with other scopes with this reticle, and YMMV, but that was my experience.

In any case a scope with the Nr 4 reticle replaced the Hensoldt and it has proved (like the others I have with that reticle) to be very good in low light and for speed on flushing and running game. The big side bars lead you to the middle while the crosshair allows good aim without blocking the view. For pigs at <200 (or more, for that matter), quick shots and low light included, it is my choice.

H
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
The Leupold version of the G#4, and being unsure of which/what I'd get and what it would look like, has me exploring other options for this 1-4. I've seen pics of Leupold #4s that are either very wide in the middle or thin on the sides and bottom....either of which would have me opt for another HD OR a #1? Also, speed/low light would be worth more than a couple of inches of extra precision, if that's all the fat post of a #1 would cost me on a 357 max to 200. I have a .358 under a low power vx3 with the HD, that is great to as far as I want, but just wondering if the 1 or 4 would be even better. What I've seen of the #1 (pics), makes it appear as if the center post point would act like a trijicon/bindon triangle 'point'? If your experience is that that's not the case, I'm kinda at a continued indecision, until I can look through a #4 and/or #1, first hand. I comprehend it having a precision handicap, but it's hard to fathom it would be 'bad' in low light, or slow to acquire....then again, it's imagined use would be more akin to irons that you could see in low light, w/magnification available in a pinch, so my perspective may be inaccurate to begin with. LOL

Thanks.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I did not like the G#1 that I had, but others love them.

To me, it would seem that you'd have to try it and it will become apparent to you very quickly whether it is good for your situation or not.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have 4 scopes with the P&D reticle but I admit my hunting ends 1/2 hour after sunset. They work well hunting on overcast days in brush.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have one in the #1 and don't like it near as well as I do the half dozen I have in #4!

"Not a Gun Free Zone"
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I have one in a Meopro 6x. I had no problems shooting nice groups with it and if it caused me any ill killing a deer last year, I couldn't tell.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
If you're the kind of guy that spends lots of time behind the scope trying to get just that right hold, you ain't gonna like it. If you bring a rifle up, but it on the spot and slap the trigger, you'll be fine.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have an old Zeiss/Jena 6X with the #1 and have taken a few deer with it. IMO, works great for me. If I can see the deer I can see the reticle and I can't say that about all the scopes I own.

I bought a Meopta 6X with the #1 earlier this year. I haven't hunted it yet but shooting good groups hasn't been a problem. I have it sighted in where the bullets hit 2" high above the pointy #1 tip at 100yds.

H
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Thanks for the input. It seems that maybe if you are used to irons or alternate presentations, then a #1 is fine, fast, and good in low light. It seems that if your preference is fine crosshairs and replicating bench practices, it'd annoy you?

Next: WHICH #4?.... Is an issue, and if I can't know/see one, then most any other reticle becomes better, by default.....including a #1.....if a #4 is too open or too thin, it's got to be worse than anything NOT too open or too thin, in low light, brush, etc.....a#4 done right is nice (Zeiss I've seen).

Last edited by hh4whiskey; 08/15/15.
IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by hh4whiskey
Thanks for the input. It seems that maybe if you are used to irons or alternate presentations, then a #1 is fine, fast, and good in low light. It seems that if your preference is fine crosshairs and replicating bench practices, it'd annoy you?

Well, I'm used to irons, have used them for 40 years and continue to use them, and actually don't have a preference for fine crosshairs, nor much use for benchrests, but yet found the Nr 1 reticle didn't suit me.

I also have shot a fair number of running pigs, sometimes several one after another before they get away (the odd few running at me too), as well as other game of various sizes, and I do a fair bit of it in poor light. Having tried both types of reticle, I far prefer the Nr 4.

But you may like it. The only way to really know is to get behind one. Preferably shoot it a bit too. I gave mine a fair workout before deciding that no, it is not for me. You may come to a different view.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like my no.1 in Leupold 1.75-6x. Used to kill couple deer at 70ish yards in deep woods few years back.

Not currently mounted, but trying to get it on my Frontier .358 as BUG for elk this fall.

Really wish Leup folks woul do modern take on old Weaver Post & Crosshair. Son's got mine on his .300 Blackout TC.

ETA: that's the No.1 reticle scope on the CTR in the pic below.

Last edited by ColdCase1984; 08/15/15.

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Here's the Nazi #1 in the Meopro 6x42. Bought it for hunting in the 'woods'

[Linked Image]

H
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Thanks for the pics, steel. IF the Leupold #4 was that thick on the edges, and that tight in the middle, I'd 'think' it would be the better of the two, but I don't know (firsthand), how wide or thin the Leupold #4 is, and I've seen some pics of them, where they looked like a thin, wide duplex.....which would be a no-go for my needs. I'll call them Monday, and maybe they can straighten me out.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Have four with the #1. Two Leicas, one Kahles and one Meopta. I like it. Good for point and shoot. In many ways I like it better than my #4 and plex reticles. Depends on what type of hunting you will be using it for.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Here is a #4 Nazi in the Meopro 6x42, not that it helps you with your current scope, but lets you know what is out there.

I'm assuming your 1-4x is a standard duplex? I'd likely throw a heavy duplex in it and rock on.

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
A #1 with CDS would be good?

There is no retreat but in submission and slavery!
H
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Here is a #4 Nazi in the Meopro 6x42, not that it helps you with your current scope, but lets you know what is out there.

I'm assuming your 1-4x is a standard duplex? I'd likely throw a heavy duplex in it and rock on.

[Linked Image]

That's a great #4, but I don't think Leupy's remotely resembles it.
I'm tied to tiny scopes, with low power/light weight for this rig....but this is a special 'package' of barrels/optics, for UL, pack/travel. I'd like that in my 6x or 1.5-6/2-8 stuff, though.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Just get the Post and Duplex and have the best of both worlds. powdr

H
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
As far as I know, that's just the standard duplex, w/o a top half?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

279 members (160user, 2500HD, 21, 12344mag, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 29 invisible), 1,769 guests, and 1,095 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,632
Posts18,493,023
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.