Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I stole this from someone on the 'Fire. I have some with it and like it as well.

[Linked Image]

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
GB1

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Nothing but love the Leupold Nazi #1.

Great reticle IMO.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I've used the Leupld Medium Duplex, the "Post & Duplex," the Heavy Duplex, and the German #1 in my 4X Leupolds. I've also used a version of the 4a, as well as the Medium Duplex and the Heavy Duplex in my 6X Leupolds.
In the 4X scopes, the Heavy Duplex was simply too heavy for my tastes. I prefer the Post & Duplex or the Medium Duplex. But, for the shorter ranges, I found no drawbacks from the German #1. It's as fast as anything I've used. It shows up better in bad light than anything I've tried. I've had no trouble shooting the smallest groups my rifle can throw with it. Above all, it works better than anything I've used at night. It's only drawback is that's its awkward to use when one must holdover a target at the plus 300 yd. ranges.
While we are on the subject, I also much prefer the Heavy Duplex in my 6X scopes because the thin opening allows me to range a game animal, like a deer or an elk, with it. Something I couldn't do with the 4A I had at one time. E

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I stole this from someone on the 'Fire. I have some with it and like it as well.

[Linked Image]

What scope ?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Liked the 4x I had on a 357 Marlin - very fast in target.
Steelhead is correct. Bold. Would be good on dark game at dark thirty. Fading light also fades shooting distance.
HD good, like proper G4, the PD is like a D with missing top half - but spacing greater from thin to thick.

Close range dim light and dark game is where
G1 will shine IMO

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well I have a 6 x 42 Leupold with a German # 1 mounted on my old 7 x 57! I never noticed any disadvantage while hunting big game as apposed to the internet rule of thumb! As for Chuck Hawk a legend in his own mind! The Russians still use it on the SVD's, for most big game applications it works just fine! I like it so much that when my current scope gives up the ghost on my 338 I am going to put a sight with a German # 1 on that one too!

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
My 6.5x57R/16 gaugae drilling has a Hensoldt 4x with the #1 reticle. Have found it easy to shoot 1" groups at 100 yards, and big game out to the ranges I usually shoot them. It shows up great in dim light.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Got a couple of Leupolds with the German # 1....

I look at it the same way as a target dot, or a red dot...

you have a big finger pointing right there... put the end of it on what you are aiming at AND PULL THE TRIGGER...

I put one on a varmint rifle for shooting sage rats, which run at 90 mph and switch directions at the drop of a hat and then stop just as quick...

the entire upper end of the scope being clear helps track them and then when they stop, if they are within 200 yds, you just quick put the steeple point on them and pull the trigger...

gave very quick target acquisition...

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Looking at Leupold's Webb site, the reticles are shown. If the images are true representations, the #4 is wider than the wide duplex. To me, it is not acceptable.

To my eye, their version of the #1 is good, P&C good, much better than #4, and followed by HD for usefulness for hunting game. Small varmints and target shooting would change that opinion.

In the mid '60s, I had a cheap Japan scope with a #1 on a 6mm 600 carbine. That rig, at less than $90 dealer cost to me was amazing. It was no trouble to shoot 1/2" groups, often less, using a black 1" target paster as the aiming point.

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by Steelhead

[Linked Image]

What scope ?

I believe it was a 2.5-8x. As I said, I 'lifted' the photo from the 'Fire.

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
If you can access Leupold's subtensions, the #4, the post and duplex, and the duplex are all different in size of wire used, opening width and size of horizontal and vertical posts used. powdr

H
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Think I'll try the #1 on this one, and try the #4 and P&D on my next 1.75-6/2.5-8/or fixed 2.5/4/6 stuff I play with.....just to run the gamut....and compare to meopta and Zeiss #4s. Gives me another excuse to overflow the current safe. 😀

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Steely needs to put up his picture w/the #1 aimed at small cans and bottles. That should take away any doubt about it's ability. powdr

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would use the G1 in a 4x and 6x. In 2.5 the FX I had with Wide duplex faded at dusk and was not contrasting on a coon at 70 yes in the woods at dusk. When a doe showed up, same spot I dropped her - But an HD might be the best way in that scope. Not sure if the G1 would be any improvement and would check custom shop to ask what specs. Would want to be sure it was to my liking. Again the 4x I had worked great.

Years ago used an 2.5x M8 std duplex on running tree squirrels on a Marlin 75 HC at dark thirty - granted a clear day looking towards the sky. Did well.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
250yds with the Nazi #1.

Accuracy won't be an issue.

[Linked Image]

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Another group @ 350.

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Yeah, I think the guys that overthink everything will have a problem with the Nazi #1. If you're the type that just grabs and rifle and shoots, you'll have no problems.

H
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
There's a time for either, but where and how this rig is intended to hunt, having time for much pre-shot thought, is nil.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I tend to shoot a bit high when firing quickly with a #1. I think my eye is telling me to use the thickest part of the post rather than the point.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've got two of the German #1, both Leupold scopes. One is an FX-3 6 x 42, the other a VX-II 3-9 x 40. I would much rather hunt with these than any thing else, but my hunting is all done without a holdover. Shoot at paper it works as well for me as anything else. On the variable scope the bars get wider and the opening between the two is larger at the lowest power. The bars are thinner and the gate narrower at the highest power. I find it the best at 6X, but just fine throughout the range.

I have two of the old Post with crosswire. I like those, but not as much.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (16gage, 06hunter59, 1OntarioJim, 007FJ, 1Longbow, 1moredeer, 49 invisible), 2,266 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,398
Posts18,470,065
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.