Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by GuyM
However in Wyoming, you can usually get a pronghorn tag every year, and often can add two or three additional doe tags at minimal expense. A fellow intent on so doing could rack up 40 pronghorn in Wyoming, in 10 - 20 years.

Back in the 80's when they were really thick, you could get 9 antelope tags a year in Wyoming. Now most years the max you can get is 3-5 goat tags.

My first year of college in Laramie I decided I needed some meat. Shot seven antelope. Don't ever do that......

GB1

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by saddlesore
I know several good hidey holes, however, I don't want an elk bad enough to go into them.

To the OP: And there is your secret, if you are still young enough. Pick spots in your chosen district where you would least like to go......

Then go there.

This man speaks the truth. Nut up and dive in. We hunt by the theory that we have only so many days to kill them. We have a long time to get them out.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I'll be up to 40 elk when I'm roughly 62 years old. I'm currently 46. I'm guess my answer will be no, not enough.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Greenhorn
I'll be up to 40 elk when I'm roughly 62 years old. I'm currently 46. I'm guess my answer will be no, not enough.

You have the quality as well as quantity.
Every one of yours would be the bull of a lifetime for most guys.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
NO!
74 @ 53

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Zr10054
I'm never jealous of someone elses success but I sure am envious sometimes.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

jealous?

of not starting sooner!
not getting out EVERY year. smirk crazy

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Guess I Should turn some of my tags back in then for this fall. two elk tags, a deer tag, an antelope tag and a moose tag and probably a crop damage tag for deer or two

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by willflow
I keep seeing people post that they have killed 40-60 elk. I have missed feelings here. Number 1 I'm just plain jealous. 2 how in the hell can anyone afford it? 3 at what point do ethics come into play? A professional hunter does just that, hunt but I've seen what seems to be a high no. of guys claiming to have done this.

We all love to hunt and we all covet that trophy tag. Should there be a limit? When is it someone else's turn?

Come hunt with me in my unit where the hunters success rate is 3% and then we can talk about who gets a turn my friend... Just sayin.... wink. No complaints here though. I hunt the hell out of them every year and have been damn near successful every year for the last 10 years. There's, what you call, a learning curve though...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
[Linked Image]

I took my first elk in 1974. I was pretty young and ignorant...Now, I'm just old and ignorant, but there is something about being, "In the elk" in September that is nearly unmatched. It's something I want to do every year until I'm physically not able to. I don't even need to kill one every year, but just need to be there....I went back to a recurve 19 years ago. This bull is the only elk I've taken with it. I had my goal of a really good herd bull, or nothing at all. Dozens, and dozens of close encounters through the years, but there was always a snafu involved. I can't describe what I felt when this all came together last fall....it was an amazing day!

Pat, I went back to recurves (and I have a thing for barred turkey feathers) also years ago now, but you are right. That is almost a magical time to be in mountains. While I've taken some thirty deer with my bow I've never had it come together for a nice bull.

Beautiful pic and a prehistoric bull!

IC B3

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by willflow
I keep seeing people post that they have killed 40-60 elk. I have missed feelings here. Number 1 I'm just plain jealous. 2 how in the hell can anyone afford it? 3 at what point do ethics come into play? A professional hunter does just that, hunt but I've seen what seems to be a high no. of guys claiming to have done this.

We all love to hunt and we all covet that trophy tag. Should there be a limit? When is it someone else's turn?

Come hunt with me in my unit where the hunters success rate is 3% and then we can talk about who gets a turn my friend... Just sayin.... wink. No complaints here though. I hunt the hell out of them every year and have been damn near successful every year for the last 10 years. There's, what you call, a learning curve though...

Last year unit 41 had a 11% success rate for 1st season and 2nd season had a 5% success rate. A lot better success rate than a lot of units in Oregon especially for those boys hunting the coast.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Also one can never shoot too many elk as long as the meat is being utilized. Side note I hunted the coast one time for elk and that was enough for me.. I talk about Alaska and weather being hard on rifles [bleep] I think hunting the coast of Oregon will test any rifles durability that was one wet and miserable 7 days.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Years ago a friend located a high flat mountain that was pure hell to climb. The elk were on top. As he was dressing out a big bull, a plane buzzed him. Later, after he was home, he got a call from the IDFG congratulating him on the nice bull. They told him that they'd got his name from his truck license parked at the bottom. He was the 1st hunter they'd seen up there in several years. They knew about the elk but nobody hunted it more than once. He said he'd never do that again. The elk wasn't worth the work to get it out.

I have lived in the deep south most of m life. Flat coastal areas at that. I have dragged 120# whitetails a mile or so through the woods to get them back to the truck. I've done that in hilly areas too. It's a workout. I just came back from a vacation in CO. I did a lot of hiking. On one of those hikes I struck up a conversation with someone I had just met. We talked about hunting and our dream of elk hunting one day. The country we were in was rugged, rocky and steep. The air was thin. I looked at him and said that a hunt would be great fun right up until you pull the trigger. Then it would be utter hell. I can imagine that even "easy" elk hunts are work. Packing out a blacktail in Kodiak was one of the most exhausting things I have ever done in my like.

Work? That may be an understatement.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Paul: I killed my last elk 11 years ago( I quit hunting them after that...)
My pard and I killed side by side bulls on a hillside that was, shall we say, steep. On the good news side, one kick ( literally) and the bulls rolled to the bottom- a spot we could get within 100 yards with the truck!

Pard started dressing them and I headed for the truck, and the ranch, to call the cavalry. I returned with 7 guys, two trucks and a four wheeler. There was a couple obstacles, like a creek between trucks and now dressed elk. By my watch it took the seven of us plus machines 3 hours and 25 minutes to get them loaded into the trucks.

That is as easy as elk hunting gets.

And after three decades of it, I decided Im too old for this schitt!! grin

The last bull....

[Linked Image]

Younger days....when the mountains weren't so steep, but a pic of a more typical DIY elk deal....try dragging 600 lbs of dead weight over this....

[Linked Image]

Last edited by ingwe; 08/16/15.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Eileen and I still hunt elk, but only in areas where it's reasonably easy to get them out. The cow she got last fall was only a mile from the truck, but died in the bottom of a coulee. The coulee wasn't too deep, and within a quarter-mile or so the country pretty much leveled off (or as level as most southwestern Montana elk country gets). We had our in-line Neet game cart, and reduced the load as much as possible in the little time we had, since we wanted to get it out that evening. It was close close to dark and there were bears in the area, including (possibly) grizzlies.

After gutting, we cut the cow in half at the back of ribcage and took off the lower legs. We packed it in two trips, and the Neet cart helped a lot, because it can go right along the middle of game trails, and has handles on both ends, with hand-brakes on the rear handles. I pushed up the hill while Eileen pulled, and when she needed a breather I'd grab the brakes and we'd rest a while before going again. We had both halves in the pickup by 10:30, which was actually a pretty easy deal, considering. But even a 400-pound cow ain't like packing out deer, for sure.

Usually we hunt uphill on closed logging roads, which makes it relatively easy to bring them out with either a cart in dry weather or with a toboggan on snow. Though getting them to the logging road can get interesting.

That's how two "senior citizens" do it. Dunno how much longer we'll keep after elk, but the older we get the more we appreciate whitetail does and antelope.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
This senior citizen uses two mules .I have more than a few years on Mule Deer. If I didn't,I could not be elk hunting.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Never enough! I love hunting elk and being out west, I can't describe how great a feeling it is. I've killed ten elk, 8 small bulls and 2 cows, all in Colorado, thoroughly enjoyed hunting each one with a couple of mulie bucks thrown in. Last one I killed was in 2008, I had to take a leave of absence hunting elk to pay for my daughter's college, hopefully I will be elk hunting again in 2017. I wish I lived out where the elk roam and I'm jealous of the guys who can hunt multiple states!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Eileen and I still hunt elk, but only in areas where it's reasonably easy to get them out. The cow she got last fall was only a mile from the truck, but died in the bottom of a coulee. The coulee wasn't too deep, and within a quarter-mile or so the country pretty much leveled off (or as level as most southwestern Montana elk country gets). We had our in-line Neet game cart, and reduced the load as much as possible in the little time we had, since we wanted to get it out that evening. It was close close to dark and there were bears in the area, including (possibly) grizzlies.

After gutting, we cut the cow in half at the back of ribcage and took off the lower legs. We packed it in two trips, and the Neet cart helped a lot, because it can go right along the middle of game trails, and has handles on both ends, with hand-brakes on the rear handles. I pushed up the hill while Eileen pulled, and when she needed a breather I'd grab the brakes and we'd rest a while before going again. We had both halves in the pickup by 10:30, which was actually a pretty easy deal, considering. But even a 400-pound cow ain't like packing out deer, for sure.

Usually we hunt uphill on closed logging roads, which makes it relatively easy to bring them out with either a cart in dry weather or with a toboggan on snow. Though getting them to the logging road can get interesting.

That's how two "senior citizens" do it. Dunno how much longer we'll keep after elk, but the older we get the more we appreciate whitetail does and antelope.

That cart sounds pretty handy. Years and years ago I had one of those first generation carts shaped like a "V" with the big wheel at the apex (front). It was murder due to balance issues when loaded and you couldn't push the unwieldy thing over any obstruction. I had one friend frequently disparage it's heritage on one hunt--not a good design.

The trouble with NOT hunting elk is not having its meat.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
A good cart is a good thing to have in fairly even country! Pard showed up with one on a deer hunt. we went up the hill, killed two deer and he wanted to go back to the truck for the cart. ( I'm old school...if Im heading to the truck, I might as well take a deer with me...)

" It'll be worth it." he said....

He was RIGHT! grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ingwe
[/b]A good cart[b] is a good thing to have in fairly even country! Pard showed up with one on a deer hunt. we went up the hill, killed two deer and he wanted to go back to the truck for the cart. ( I'm old school...if Im heading to the truck, I might as well take a deer with me...)

" It'll be worth it." he said....

He was RIGHT! grin

Noted! 😀

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

655 members (160user, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 1234, 72 invisible), 2,086 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,835
Posts18,496,744
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.