Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Finally checked out this thread to see why it was going on so long, and it mostly turned out to be the SOS about bear spray vs. firearms. The exception turned out to be Travis's posts, which tend to rescue Campfire threads from being the SOS.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
maybe you bought a crap product?

Udap, the ~$40 stuff from Bass Pro or Cabelas, whichever was more convenient.

you know for someone thats claimed to have done scientific studies you sure have a closed mind and make some phugged up reaching to nonsense to try and prove your off the wall theories....

I've carried it (almost daily for 12 years)/used it more than most, albeit on dogs.

Seen it work equally well whether it actually hit the charging dog (once) or not (seven times). Seen it have little or no apparent disabling effect after startling that one dog even with a solid full face/close range hit.

I never said bear spray didn't work. Just suggested the blast effect might be what startles the target, and then gave the empty beer can on the nose example of the same.

Dunno why you find that faulty reasoning.

bear spray aint 100% effective anymore than mace is 100% on people but works often enough to be a legitimate piece of kit

Never said it was 100%, never advised against carrying it.

It worked fer me 100% on dogs (8 for 8) and saved me a bunch because shooting eight dogs inside the city limits over a 12 year period would have required me having an attorney on speed dial.

I would and have carried it in the woods in bear country because I figure I'd have a better chance of it working than with a handgun, but would want a handgun as backup anyways.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deflave
Now that I am almost sober, I'll try and explain for those who wonder why bear spray can be so useful.

We had no bear encounters in the backcountry but we did step in a huge pile of bear schit when hanging our food for the night.

My buddy (visiting from the Chicago area) had never seen Yellowstone so we drove to Cooke City after coming off the trail. Got our room, everybody showered, and then we did an accelerated tour of Yellowstone.

Got drunk, ate pizza, passed out in the "cabin" behind the gas station. Prior to passing out I emptied the back of the pickup in a solid downpour. While doing so I noticed they had motion lights outside the door which was helpful.

Fast forward to around 0300. I wake up to piss and when climbing back into bed, the motion light comes on. My first thought was dog or 'coon or person. Looked out the blinds and there was a grizzly leaning on the driver's side corner of the bed of my truck. Two feet up, two on the ground.

My buddy and son heard me say "This fugk is going to scratch my truck!" I asked for a can of spray but nobody had any. They left it in the cab of the truck. I opened the door, and yelled. The bear (now inside the bed of my truck and rummaging through my not inexpensive gear) looked up as though I should stop irritating him.

I turned around and dug an empty Silver Bullet out of the garbage. Stepped outside and let it go. BULLSEYE! Right on his nose. I received accolades from my son and buddy as the bear barreled out the opposite side of the bed (thank Christ) and ran away (double thank Christ.)

He returned about 30 minutes later. I tried to get a pic but he hauled ass as soon as I opened the door. I reminded him that "You fugk with me you get fugked with." I think he heard me.

Moral of the story? Not all encounters with wildlife justify the emptying of your .44 Mag. If you're going into bear country, buy some fugking bear spray.

XOXOXO,
Clark

LMAO..Too bad this wasn't on video.

Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Finally checked out this thread to see why it was going on so long, and it mostly turned out to be the SOS about bear spray vs. firearms. The exception turned out to be Travis's posts, which tend to rescue Campfire threads from being the SOS.

Is this a cryptic way of calling me an ass hole?

Side note: IGA is all out of Tumbleweed. Wife tells me somebody in Havre keeps buying and drinking them all.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
maybe you bought a crap product?

Udap, the ~$40 stuff from Bass Pro or Cabelas, whichever was more convenient.

you know for someone thats claimed to have done scientific studies you sure have a closed mind and make some phugged up reaching to nonsense to try and prove your off the wall theories....

I've carried it (almost daily for 12 years)/used it more than most, albeit on dogs.

Seen it work equally well whether it actually hit the charging dog (once) or not (seven times). Seen it have little or no apparent disabling effect after startling that one dog even with a solid full face/close range hit.

I never said bear spray didn't work. Just suggested the blast effect might be what startles the target, and then gave the empty beer can on the nose example of the same.

Dunno why you find that faulty reasoning.

bear spray aint 100% effective anymore than mace is 100% on people but works often enough to be a legitimate piece of kit

Never said it was 100%, never advised against carrying it.

It worked fer me 100% on dogs (8 for 8) and saved me a bunch because shooting eight dogs inside the city limits over a 12 year period would have required me having an attorney on speed dial.

I would and have carried it in the woods in bear country because I figure I'd have a better chance of it working than with a handgun, but would want a handgun as backup anyways.

Birdwatcher

for some damn reason you were trying to wrangle in that it doesnt work on birds.....for what? it has no bearing on anything cause a bird has lil in common with bears.....course it doesnt work on birds....wild peppers use birds not mammals for seed dispersal....

the blast isnt what works on most bears anymore than a beer can works on most bears....you admitted your aim sucked and then wondered why your results werent all that good....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by okok

LMAO..Too bad this wasn't on video.

We did try to get the second encounter recorded or at least a picture. But the lighting is so poor you can't see the bear.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Buy some cans of wasp spray and go practice under the eves of the barn... wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
SOS about bear spray vs. firearms ... Travis's posts, which tend to rescue Campfire threads from being the SOS.

Useful when Dances-With-BF-Bears (Phil Shoemaker) isn't here.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I've always wondered why some here seem to be so confident that they could stop a bear attack with a handgun, other than the fact that they know they'll never need to.

I'll bet almost every one of us has seen a small whitetail deer have both lungs blown out, and then run 100 yards before it drops.

Think about a grizzly closing on you at 45 ft. per second, giving you maybe a couple of seconds to aim and shoot, knowing you better hit the skull or spinal column or you're gonna get mauled.

When a person shoots a grizzly bear in a self defense situation, somebody's almost certain to die. Not so with bear spray.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Forget about guns or bear spray and follow Travis's lead. Empty beer cans will work better, especially if you are the one that emptied the cans.

Moral of the story? Not all encounters with wildlife justify the emptying of your .44 Mag. If you're going into bear country, buy some fugking bear spray.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
for some damn reason you were trying to wrangle in that it doesnt work on birds.....for what?

Too much time spent teaching I guess.

you admitted your aim sucked and then wondered why your results werent all that good....

No, I said even though my aim sucked my results were 100%, including on four inbound pits, which generally scare the heck out of me. Every time the blast WAS close to the dog, and startled them into fleeing.

Might be the sudden strong odor startled them too, but I definitely didn't hit them with the spray. They all turned on a dime and ran.

Understand this is eight times the spray was used over literally hundreds of encounters with loose dogs. Most dogs bark from a distance, a few charge but can almost all can be bluffed off, those eight were when the dogs were still inbound anyway, ignoring me. Seemingly intent on attacking my dogs.

The problem is with bear spray is that the jet angle is like 90 degrees from the axis of the can. IMHO the natural tendency is to tilt the can towards the target, hence shooting low. That was my experience.

That last rott where I actually hit it was like six feet away while I was holding my dog close by the collar, it got sprayed full in the face, you could see it on the face of the dog afterwards. Minimal visible effect on the dog besides a brief rub in the grass once it got over the shock of the sudden blast. No whining, no sneezing/hacking/coughing, no apparent distress, just sat there next to the owners who had got it on a leash.

the blast isnt what works on most bears anymore than a beer can works on most bears..

The hard part is trying to find a study where that was demonstrated, if you can find one, please post it here.

Only one I could find was from 1985, on black bears at a dump. The spray application seemingly gentle enough to avoid a startle effect. The reaction of like five bears hit in the eyes was to walk away. One bear kept returning and had to be sprayed point blank three times before it walked away.

I ain't saying they enjoyed it, but they didn't react much like humans would have.

Capsacin works by triggering the pain receptors in mammals, I ain't saying that bears don't have 'em but we're talking about animals that can literally stick their faces into beehives, repeatedly, and chow down on honey and larvae while the enraged bees are launching a full court press.

My experience has been the blast alone appears to work on dogs. And a good thing too, pit bulls are famously indifferent to pain, I ain't at all interested in knowing if they can ignore capsacin too.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
COCKwatcher,

At then end of the day, your only concern should be all those loose dogs Mexicans are so prone to not GAF about.

No need to sit and worry about a grizz.

Travis

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
the blast isnt what works on most bears anymore than a beer can works on most bears....

Rattler, I know the point you are making and am in agreement. But my one story using bear spray against a bear shows that there's not many hard and fast rules when it comes to bears.

I was hiking in the Sangre de Christos when a black bear cub ran across the trail in front of me. And sure enough, a few seconds later his mom and another cub that were following him stopped on the side of the trail that the first cub came from.

I was carrying a revolver but did not want to use it unless I really had to, so I took out my bear spray and fired a blast at the ground just to make sure it was pressurized. Momma heard it and ran back in the woods, and let me pass by in a hurry. So in that one case, the noise of the blast did save me from a close up bear encounter.

Last edited by McInnis; 08/16/15.
J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Black bears are thought to be less sensitive to bear spray. Thankfully it is supposed to work better on grizzly bears.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I know a guy who's used spray on two black bears, one only three feet away, and a blast in the face turned them right around. Dunno if it was the noise or the spray, but neither came back.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by McInnis

I was carrying a revolver but did not want to use it unless I really had to, so I took out my bear spray and fired a blast at the ground just to make sure it was pressurized. Momma heard it and ran back in the woods, and let me pass by in a hurry. So in that one case, the noise of the blast did save me from a close up bear encounter.

While momma bear may be terribly alarmed by a solid blast of keyboard cleaner, I'd not bet my last beer on it.

I'd wager that the olfactory senses of a bear are bit more amazing than most people realize. There's also a very real possibility that the bear you encountered caught the jalapeno-money-shot in her previous life, and had a full recollection the moment you pressed the test button.

Lots of things to consider in a variety of situations but I'm fairly confident a huge dose of cayenne will make a bear sneeze. I'm also fairly confident a 250gr. Keith to the spine will make a bear more tolerable.

Travis

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Joezone
Black bears are thought to be less sensitive to bear spray.

That is fugking AWESOME.

Please sit next to Birdwatcher so you two can spit ball some more material before tomorrow evening.

Dave

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by 1minute
employee in Glacier

Might have been a high school mate of mine. First person from our class of 1965 to die. Mauled by bear while working Glacier.

The attack occurred in 1960 on the Otokomi Lake Trail (4 miles or so from Rising Sun Campground). The ranger was Al Nelson and the boy was Smitty Parrot, whose father was a ranger. Nelson was up in a tree and saw Smitty being mauled; he jumped down and pulled the bear off him and covered Smitty with his body, suffering horrible wounds.

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Im thinking a blast of wasp spray to the face of a black or bear may be more effective than pepper spray.

Have you considered that and what do you think about it Col. Travis.

PS. With respect to your esteemed reply please consider this also as an invitation to GFY. smile

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by eyeball
Im thinking a blast of wasp spray to the face of a black or bear may be more effective than pepper spray.

Have you considered that and what do you think about it Col. Travis.

PS. With respect to your esteemed reply please consider this also as an invitation to GFY. smile

Dear Texan,

Your logic is sound. For a Texan.

Those that disagree are advised to sniff a cup full of wasp spray, and record the results.

The following day do same with a cup full of OC spray, and record the results.

I'll be right here, at the edge of my seat.

Colonel Dave

(Retired)

Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1minute, 219 Wasp, 57 invisible), 2,302 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,033
Posts18,500,622
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.