Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by mrmarklin

A work of art and very accurate.

I guess I differ here as well. Keeping tolerances to an absolute minimum does not make a firearm a "work of art" IMO.

The FA's are ugly, and sensitive jin the functionality department.

Travis

When it comes to metal fit and tolerances they are truly a work of art IMHO. Only seen one that that was not very accurate and it had a barrel that had no rifling.

Whoops. Grin...

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
GB1

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by RJM
...I don't doubt you...but the question becomes that since all FAs have a test target how did it get out of the factory...or was this before test targets...

Bob

Don't know how it got out of the factory that way. The FA-83 was sent to Jack Huntington to be converted to 475L and the owner said it was not accurate as is was. I happened to pick up the barrel and looked down the bore and realized it was as smooth as a babies bottom. I told Jack that barrel had no rifling, he ignored me until the third time. He then looked down the bore and said "I be dammed it sure doesn't".

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Ed, I don't. Just playing around. The FA prefers the lighter pills, driven a bit. Twist and all.

On another note, looks like I found what one of my 252s likes today. I put five rounds of each in a ziplock and mixed them up. I took out 5 boxes, high priced eley to mini mag. I alternated between makes for each grouping.

Low and behold 1st and 3rd grab bag were the best and it was the same make, Aquila. First 5 grouped about 1" @100yrd, the second bag, it tightened up (or I got really lucky) to about 1/2."
It was written somewhere that a 252 held 1" at 100 in some review, I guess I can attest to that!
The variety between ammo makes was amazing. Shotgun vs laser. I will have to try the same ammo in the silhouette pistol. ( and also to shoot a bit more to ensure it wasn't a fluke)
Anyway, sorry to distract, from the op, it was just a good shootin day!
[Linked Image]
Anyway, sorry to distract, from the op, it was just a good shootin day!
[Linked Image]

Last edited by plastikosmd; 09/28/15.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by desertoakie
I disagree about holding their value. I bought a new 83 FA .454 back in 1997. It cost $1600 and change. A friend of mine bought the same gun on Gunbroker a couple years ago for $1200, like new in the box. Don't get me wrong, I love my FA, but they aren't investments!

The 83's in the Casull don't hold their value like the 97's.

Travis

Yeah, 97s hold their value ($2900 replacement cost)...
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=509272732

Ken
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Yowza.

Guess there's another reason not to buy one... grin.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by RJM
Yep...has real tight throats and zero tolerance for out of spec ammo. But since it will not do any of that with factory loads...where is the problem...the gun or the guy who loaded the ammo.

Bob

I wouldn't consider your reloads out of spec.

Travis

You're dealing with reloaded ammo in a very tightly chambered gun. Just like 99% of .308 factory rounds will go into all rifle chambers the round you make up as optimum for one rifle may not chamber in another... So with a FA you just have to tailor the load a little more to the gun than a Ruger or S&W...to me it is worth it...

As to holding their value, a lot has to do with the configuration and caliber. Just saw a used 97/.22-.22 Magnum 7.5" with black Micarta grips sell for $2150. Same gun brand new but a 5.5" barrel and ivory Micarta grips sold for $2395.

Put a used 4.25" .41 Magnum out for sale and it will bring $2K+. 5.5" .45 Colt that cost the same money will only bring $1750.00.

Buy new only if you can't find what you want or will settle with...it is just like a car...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I disagree about holding their value. I bought a new 83 FA .454 back in 1997. It cost $1600 and change. A friend of mine bought the same gun on Gunbroker a couple years ago for $1200, like new in the box. Don't get me wrong, I love my FA, but they aren't investments!

Travis

...and if this one was a .41 Magnum or a .22 it would have been gone on the BuyNow in a day...

Bob

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by RJM

Travis

...and if this one was a .41 Magnum or a .22 it would have been gone on the BuyNow in a day...

Bob

Yes, and the guy that sold it would have LOST $1,000+ from what he paid for it! At least with a Ruger, you can sell it for what you paid for it!

Ken
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by RJM

Travis

Bob

Yes, and the guy that sold it would have LOST $1,000+ from what he paid for it! At least with a Ruger, you can sell it for what you paid for it!

Never saw that happen before...please let me know who pays the same price for a used gun as a new one...

Current retail....$625.00 Sold $315.00

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=509902616

Current Retail...$625 Asked $400...no bids.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=511146307

Current retail..$769.00 Sold $269.00

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=509638075

Excellent condition guns...all Rugers... Even if you pay the "going price" and not retail you are still going to loose be it a FA, Ruger, SIG , Glock...

Also you have no clue what that guy paid for that gun... 97s in .44 Special came out 10+ years ago so he may have only paid $2400 for it.. I just bought a brand new FA 97 .327 Federal from dealer that currently retails for $2390 with the options...I paid $1900 delivered..that is 21% off retail.

Bob

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Bob, I wonder why you don't get their lifetime warranty on the field grade model? Everything else is the same besides finish, no?

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

IC B3

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
...no clue... It even costs $99.00 to have the Field Grade finish put on a Premier Grade. And the only difference that I know of is the Premier Grade 83 has screw adjustable windage built into the rear sight. The 83 Field Grade and 97 Premier Grade guns are drift.

Since all but one of the FA revolvers I have bought have been used it doesn't really make much difference to me as the warranty isn't transferable anyway.

Go over and look on GunsInternational and GunsAmerica...there are LOTS of 83s and 97s on the market right now.

Bob

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Just found out that you don't want to ever have to pay for a new trigger, hammer, safety bar and mainspring. Bought my 83 second hand and sent it in because the safety bar wasn't working and I suspected it was due to the original owner messing with the trigger. That was about a two hundred dollar bill. Ouch!

I've never handled a 97 but compared to the Ruger I had in .45 Colt, the "stoutness" of my 83 and just the overall tightness of how everything fits together is pretty confidence inspiring, I guess you'd say.

Last edited by clampdaddy; 09/30/15.
D
DBF Offline
D
Had a used 97 that was super clean, 45LC and 45ACP, with the yellow micarta grips, should have never let it go, bought it for $1600

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Both of my Ruger SBH Hunter's in 45 Colt are so accurate that I simply have no reason to consider an FA.

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Both of my Ruger SBH Hunter's in 45 Colt are so accurate that I simply have no reason to consider an FA.

100% agree...had two .41 Hunters, both the Bisley and the SBH, and both were just as accurate as the FA 654.

I just liked the way the FA grip handled the recoil compared to the other two. The Bisley especially would transmit the recoil right into the palm of my hand causing shock to my wrist and elbow. With heavy loads the SBH would really roll in the hand so the web of my shooting hand would contact the base of the hammer. Have neither problem with the FA.

In comparing the FA 97 to a 4 5/8" BH, I could shoot the Blackhawk better without having to concentrate as hard as I do with the 97 4.25". The grip and recoil handling is about the same between the 97 and XW3-RED. The XR3 however doesn't fit my hand at all. But the 97 is so much smaller than the BH, so I sold them off and kept the 97 for a Packin' Gun. Long Range, I could shoot the short barreled Rugers much better than the 97s.

Bob

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (1minute, 1badf350, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 06hunter59, 55 invisible), 2,511 guests, and 1,155 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,782
Posts18,515,759
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.