Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by seal_billy
Just wondering how many drive a small truck? I see many ford chevy dodge threads but not many Toyota or nissan Ranger or S10 threads. I don't need a big truck 99% of the time so I bought a small truck for a daily driver/comuter, old 97 nissan 2wd, needs some TLC and a timing gear kit but other than that it's ok. Runs fine. It didn't run when I got it, dude said he thought it was the fuel pump cause we put gas in the throttle body and it would fire but then die. I dropped the tank and it was light as a feather, shoulda checked that first, it was out of gas lol.

Seems everyone I know that drives a Toyota or Nissan truck puts crazy amounts of miles on them. My neighbor has a 95 nissan with over 300k on it and the speedo cable has been broke for 3 years. My uncle and cousin have Toyotas with 300 on each of their trucks and with minimal repairs, mostly just maintenance. 26 mpg is rather appealing to me also so I'm in a compact truck now, I'm liking it so far. It has 210k and if I can get another 100k out of it I will gladly take it to the crusher and go get another small truck.

I'd love to get rid of my 2004 GMC 1500 4x4 and get another Toyota 4x4. Probably a 2003 4 door TRD with a small lift and 32's would be fine....I've had numerous Toyota 4x4's over the years (gen 1's, gen 2's, gen 3's and Tacomas). They are tough as nails, get excellent gas mileage and go damn near anywhere you point them. I'd also be tempted to buy a ford ranger if they ever came out with the 3.0 or 3.5 duratec dual over head cam engines like what is in my 09 ford escape. 240 hp in a ranger would be very nice and mpg would be damn good as I'm getting 26 in the AWD escape... Just a thunk FORD!!!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
A more modern engine would be nice. The 4.0 is pretty durable, however.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
...The Toyotas are pretty good trucks but I don't think they are any better than the Ranger for quite a bit less money.

Comparing my previous '11 Ranger and a '15 Tacoma - the Tacoma is better in every way. Smoother, quieter, better ride, more power, more options, better mileage...

My Ranger averaged 19.5mpg. I also had a '13 Tacoma (exact same as the '15) before I moved to Germany that got 19.0mpg. For whatever reason, same driving habits, the '15 gets 21.25mpg and that has been at sea level as well as up high. Best tank on a road trip was 23.6mpg. Only difference I can think of is I used 87 octane in the '13 and I use 91 in the '15 - reason being I found out it has a 10:1 compression ratio so it should be using 91.

The '16 Taco with the new 3.5L is said to get 24 highway instead of 21 (rated) for the '15.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have two trucks, a 2000 F350 and a 2000 Ford Ranger; both 4x4s. The Ranger is nice for light trips, getting around in parking lots and one-day hunting trips. I much prefer my F350 but it's nice to have two trucks.

I recently had to pull a U-haul trailer to Utah with my Ranger as my turbo went out on the big truck just prior to leaving. I had to get off the throttle on every hill or I would overheat. The little trucks just aren't made to do heavy lifting.

Most overpriced truck out there is the Tacoma. They are like Harleys; everyone thinks they have to have one whether it is merited or not. My Son-in-law has had 4 of them in the past two years, my son has one and I have spent a few hours in Jeffs (see post above).

I get almost the same mileage in the F350 as the Ranger. Diesel fuel is now cheaper than gas here. I can pull anything with the F350. I could scarcely live without the big truck and make do with the little one for the tasks I can.

The Toyotas are pretty good trucks but I don't think they are any better than the Ranger for quite a bit less money.

Realizing that in today's world all trucks are substantially better than the good old days...

My experience differs a bit about overpriced. I think I posted earlier about the 2WD '86 we owned. We paid $1800 for it with 150K miles on it and drove it for another 130K before having to replace anything other than "normal wear" items like tires, a clutch, brakes. Then after the rebuild we had it for another 30K or so before I sold it in great running shape except it was ready for a clutch (gee, 330K and it needed it's 2nd replacement clutch since new) . Seems like a pretty good buy to me.

And the one I own now, '01 4WD. Bought in 2009 or so at 130K for $11000 and now has 215K on it with no issues other than I need to replace the cat converters. As mentioned, the oil analysis just came back all parameters normal, it's time to change differential oil and maybe coolant and get the brakes checked.

I also tow a bit with mine, living away from my wife and all for eight months a year. When I go "home" and come back up here to work, I tow a 5x8 cargo trailer, usually with 1200 or so lbs of stuff in there along with maybe another 1000 under the camper shell. Tools, reloading gear, bullets, ammo, etc tend to weigh a bunch. I live in a canyon, the road to the top is 4-5 miles of 9% grade and there's more of those even once I get on top. Then there were the highways down to Cali and back I used to have to take (different ones depending on weather) with places like Whitebird hill on US 95, the grade up from Redding to Mt Shasta, The "hill" from Clarkston to Pomeroy WA, and some years the grade (both ways) up to Donner Summit on I80. Even with the 2.7L 4cyl in my truck I've never had it overheat.

So for me at least "MY" Tacomas, have not been overpriced. As they say, YMMV. I couldn't be happier.

Dennis, in case you haven't checked, take a look at you radiator hoses under load. It's usually not visible under "normal" conditions but sometimes the return hose on the suction side of the water pump can collapse. I know, it's happened to me more than once. Runs fine until one puts a good load on it. Then that hose collapses and it overheats. Hope that helps.

(Oh, I wish I could afford two trucks! That would solve a lot of problems)

Dennis, also enjoy your hunts this fall. I checked last night (night before?) and it looks like we still don't have computer access for the spring draws yet. Have you heard anything? Was supposed to be "Mid Sept" according to the G&F website.

Again, thanks all for your input. Interesting thread so far.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Slidellkid
How comfortable are the newer Tacomas for long distance driving. It seems their seats sit really low to be comfortable.

I've tried to like them, but nothing hurts my back like a Toyota. The sitting position and high floorboard make them terrible.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
smirk

[Linked Image]

Ford is talking about a new Ranger, but apparently it will get upsized. Which defeats the purpose of a small truck.

I've now got 5k on my fist Jeep, and I'd be fine with a pickup version of it. Looks like it may happen too - and a small diesel engine might just happen as well.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/holy-toledo-jeep-wrangler-based-pickup-is-happening/

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RS308MX
I'm on my 5th Tacoma. Bought my first in 2000. I now have a 2014. These trucks are amazing. The most miles I put on one was 110,000. I never had any problems with any of them. I do the scheduled maintenance religiously. I can't imagine not owning a Taco. They cost more than most other small trucks but for me the quality and resale value justifies the cost. As far as I'm concerned you just can't go wrong with a Tacoma. They have always got me to my hunting and fishing spots and back.

Bob

5 in 15 years?

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I couldn't be happier with my '10 Nissan Frontier. The most I tow is a pop-up camper which weighs 2500# soaking wet and you hardly know it's there. It's every bit as good offroad as my old Jeep was, at least for what I need it to do. On the road it's great too, over ~40,000 miles I've logged every tank and in my day to day back/forth to work and around town I'm averaging a little over 18 mpg. I actually haven't a single tank under 18.5 mpg since January of this year.

I plan to keep this truck another 5-6 years at which point it'll likely have close to 200k miles. I will probably move into a half-ton crew cab truck at that point, but only because I need more room for our growing family. There just isn't much space in the back seat of mid-size crew cab trucks for 2 kids and a dog

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by JPro
Still think something the size of today's Tacoma, with a small turbo diesel, would be outstanding. Sadly, no Hi-Lux for the USA.....

Couldn't agree more! Especially after chugging around in S. Africa in a Mahindra (which pales in comparison to a Toyota). Also, just returned from an antelope trip n NV. No way in hell would I consider taking my Dodge 3/4 ton where we took my guides Tacoma!

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
smirk

[Linked Image]

Was the dump bed factory or aftermarket?

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Had a Toyota V6 truck from 93-06, then replaced it with a 2500 ram cummins. Couple thoughts.

Trucks suck as daily drivers, unless your job requires a truck to haul around your tools. The advantage of the small trucks is they are easier to get around in traffic and parking lots because they are smaller, but they also can't take the same loads, are under powered when towing and the breaks are undersized when bringing a load down the hill you just barely made it up. Small trucks don't get apreciably better mileage than full size trucks, maybe 1-2 mpg better when empty, but also 1-2 mpg worse when pulling a load.

If you're looking for a combination on/off road vehicle to pack hunting gear and game, then IMHO that is where the small trucks shine. Unfortunately you can't get what I'd consider the ideal combination which would be a hilux with a diesel engine.

If you're looking for a truck for on road use and hauling a load, get a full size truck.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
How comfortable are the newer Tacomas for long distance driving. It seems their seats sit really low to be comfortable.

I have/had 2 TRD's and test drove a standard Tacoma before I bought the TRD. No comparison in seats. I can drive 500 miles and get out of the truck not crumpled over . I am AVerage height 5'11 with long legs .

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

I have/had 2 TRD's and test drove a standard Tacoma before I bought the TRD. No comparison in seats. I can drive 500 miles and get out of the truck not crumpled over . I am AVerage height 5'11 with long legs .

I've driven my Frontier across the country twice (NM to WI and back). It's no Cadillac, but I wasn't in pain at the end of a 500+ mile day either.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by ldholton
Some guys work some guys play you can tell by the truck they drive

Probably about half true. My uncle hauled wood in an old Toyota truck for years, stacked half way to the cab top and drove over steep mountain roads. He sold it to his brother and he drove it several years before he parked it.

I have a full size truck i pull my boat with so I do my playing with my big truck.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
2012 Taco here. No complaints. Also picked up a '14 FJ Cruiser last year. Just because.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Anybody tried a 2016 Tacoma yet?

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
From what I've heard they're smoother and quieter now.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Valsdad
I have two trucks, a 2000 F350 and a 2000 Ford Ranger; both 4x4s. The Ranger is nice for light trips, getting around in parking lots and one-day hunting trips. I much prefer my F350 but it's nice to have two trucks.

I recently had to pull a U-haul trailer to Utah with my Ranger as my turbo went out on the big truck just prior to leaving. I had to get off the throttle on every hill or I would overheat. The little trucks just aren't made to do heavy lifting.

Most overpriced truck out there is the Tacoma. They are like Harleys; everyone thinks they have to have one whether it is merited or not. My Son-in-law has had 4 of them in the past two years, my son has one and I have spent a few hours in Jeffs (see post above).

I get almost the same mileage in the F350 as the Ranger. Diesel fuel is now cheaper than gas here. I can pull anything with the F350. I could scarcely live without the big truck and make do with the little one for the tasks I can.

The Toyotas are pretty good trucks but I don't think they are any better than the Ranger for quite a bit less money.

Realizing that in today's world all trucks are substantially better than the good old days...

My experience differs a bit about overpriced. I think I posted earlier about the 2WD '86 we owned. We paid $1800 for it with 150K miles on it and drove it for another 130K before having to replace anything other than "normal wear" items like tires, a clutch, brakes. Then after the rebuild we had it for another 30K or so before I sold it in great running shape except it was ready for a clutch (gee, 330K and it needed it's 2nd replacement clutch since new) . Seems like a pretty good buy to me.

And the one I own now, '01 4WD. Bought in 2009 or so at 130K for $11000 and now has 215K on it with no issues other than I need to replace the cat converters. As mentioned, the oil analysis just came back all parameters normal, it's time to change differential oil and maybe coolant and get the brakes checked.

I also tow a bit with mine, living away from my wife and all for eight months a year. When I go "home" and come back up here to work, I tow a 5x8 cargo trailer, usually with 1200 or so lbs of stuff in there along with maybe another 1000 under the camper shell. Tools, reloading gear, bullets, ammo, etc tend to weigh a bunch. I live in a canyon, the road to the top is 4-5 miles of 9% grade and there's more of those even once I get on top. Then there were the highways down to Cali and back I used to have to take (different ones depending on weather) with places like Whitebird hill on US 95, the grade up from Redding to Mt Shasta, The "hill" from Clarkston to Pomeroy WA, and some years the grade (both ways) up to Donner Summit on I80. Even with the 2.7L 4cyl in my truck I've never had it overheat.

So for me at least "MY" Tacomas, have not been overpriced. As they say, YMMV. I couldn't be happier.

Dennis, in case you haven't checked, take a look at you radiator hoses under load. It's usually not visible under "normal" conditions but sometimes the return hose on the suction side of the water pump can collapse. I know, it's happened to me more than once. Runs fine until one puts a good load on it. Then that hose collapses and it overheats. Hope that helps.

(Oh, I wish I could afford two trucks! That would solve a lot of problems)

Dennis, also enjoy your hunts this fall. I checked last night (night before?) and it looks like we still don't have computer access for the spring draws yet. Have you heard anything? Was supposed to be "Mid Sept" according to the G&F website.

Again, thanks all for your input. Interesting thread so far.

Geno

Tough to check that hose going up a hill.

Just finished my 3rd elk hunt. Killed 2 more nice sixes. No computer. Can't post photos. I like my Ranger

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
2000 Frontier, 4-cylinder, 274,200 miles as of today. I've owned it since April 2001, first owner traded it in less than one year old with 10,000 miles. I'm driving it until it dies.....

[Linked Image]

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
2005 6 cylinder Tacoma double cab long bed with 195,000 miles. It's been a great truck other than routine maintenance I've only had to replace one part, it was something located on the automatic transmission that had corroded and cost me around $300 at the dealership. I just had a new frame put on it at no cost as part of a recall and was told that it had an axle tube leak that would need to be repaired at some point but cold wait. Given the number of miles that I've put on it I easily have got my money out of what's been a trouble free truck.

Last edited by thelastlemming; 09/30/15.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

502 members (007FJ, 1lesfox, 1234, 1OntarioJim, 160user, 17CalFan, 47 invisible), 2,346 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,378
Posts18,488,518
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.