Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I was taught to polish a newly cut chamber with first wet 320 and then wet 400 black wet/dry paper.

The British used to use heavily lubricated service rounds as proof rounds.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
GB1

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D

Originally Posted by blanket
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
The only times I've seen brass flow is either due to running high pressure, or using soft brass. High back thrust can cause damage to the locking lugs of a bolt and or the mating lugs on the action, but IMHO back thrust is a completely separate issue than brass flow.

I would suggest trying a different brand of parent brass to see if the issue persists. If it does, I'd look at backing down your loads.
this

+1

Originally Posted by Axtell
The brass case acts as a plug to seal chamber gases. If the chamber is rough 'not highly polished' effectively increases the surface area of the chamber. Many 'smiths' will run a little scotch brite in the chamber as a final finish after reaming. Also, running 000 steel wool on the case doesn't hurt either.

Yes the case ( if supported well enough by the chamber and blot, and within its limits) will balloon, and seal everything off. The pressure force acts in all directions. If the area of the chamber is increased more force, PSI X area, acts against it, (the chamber). Still the back thrust against the bolt is PSI X case head area. Or maybe area of the bolt face it self, if the case doesn't seal or ruptures.
I'm really not trying to argue with you that know what you are talking about. I have followed this being disused before. I am curious about it. And trying to get it explained to me. Thanks.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Still the back thrust against the bolt is PSI X case head area

PSI* internal area of the case...

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
You are saying that the case walls at the stress ring will
hold back the chamber pressure.
A case will grab and hold until something like 30/40 KPSI,
Then it will come back against the breech.
An oiled case will come back and expand forward avoiding
the stress ring.
Once the case comes back it will exert the same force oiled or dry.
Oiled were used by the old timers to check the locking
on low pressure loadings.
Ackley claimed to fire a 94 Winchester without locking lugs.
If he had ran the pressure up it would be a different outcome.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by hawkins
You are saying that the case walls at the stress ring will
hold back the chamber pressure.

`I am saying that it is the bolt face that supports the case head, and the chamber supports the case walls. Making it possible for the case to hold the pressure. Just like the tire and wheel support the inner tube.The stretching at the stress ring occurs because the case walls grip the chamber. But the case head is pushed back against the bolt face. The pressure is inside the case and it holds it at all points, until it ruptures and or ruptures and separates. (Think head space).

A case will grab and hold until something like 30/40 KPSI,
Then it will come back against the breech.
An oiled case will come back and expand forward avoiding
the stress ring.

In a modern high intensity cartridge the case head comes back against the breach anyway. The walls grip the chamber. That is what causes the stress ring. With the oiled case the entire case comes back together. Avoiding the stress ring. The thrust against the breach is still the same. Unless the inertia picked up by the case moving back contributes, which I doubt. Or the straining of the brass at the stress ring contributes, which I also doubt.

Ackley claimed to fire a 94 Winchester without locking lugs.

If that is true. Then the case (walls griping the chamber, and head supported only by the inertia of the bolt and linkage). Held the pressure.

If he had ran the pressure up it would be a different outcome.

Precisely. Most of the case. From what you call the stress ring forward would likely remand in the chamber. The case head, bolt, and other 94 parts. Are what the doctor or mortician would have removed from P.O.s body.

IC B2

Y
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by dell
Unless the inertia picked up by the case moving back contributes, which I doubt.

Actually that can be significant. For an extreme example, consider a 40 S&W round fired in a 10mm chamber, when the round is in front of the extractor. This does not create a high pressure situation, but impact of the brass against the breech face causes severe damage that usually would be considered "high pressure signs".

Also note the missing piece of case rim; this wasn't ripped off during extraction, is was pushed off towards the case mouth as the case moved towards the breech face during firing.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Yondering

The cartridge itself doesn't really matter for this discussion, but it's a wildcat cartridge for the AR15 platform using 6.8 SPC brass. .....

Maybe the cartridge does matter!

How much taper does that wildcat have base to shoulder?

Last edited by RaySendero; 10/11/15.

Ray
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by dell
Unless the inertia picked up by the case moving back contributes, which I doubt.

Actually that can be significant.

Ok. Cool. I didn't realize that. Thanks!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
From what you're describing, it sounds like a situation of excess pressure. I've not played with meloniting, or other forms of salt bath nitriding, but I'm wondering if that has something to do with what you're seeing too.

I shared my thoughts on bolt thrust a long while ago here;
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/997867/5

There's some interesting bits in there to help you connect the dots.

Good luck.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
What would it be called back in the days when we were chambering Remington 700's to 30-378 Wby and found out after like 200 rounds the heads space was changing due to action streching. If the case grabs the chamber and there is no bolt trust what was causing the action to streching

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
...too much of a good thing. Or stuffing 10 lbs of flour into a 5 lb bag.

Y
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by RaySendero

The cartridge itself doesn't really matter for this discussion, but it's a wildcat cartridge for the AR15 platform using 6.8 SPC brass. .....

Maybe the cartridge does matter!

How much taper does that wildcat have base to shoulder?

Not much taper at all. It's a 30 Herrett wildcat in an AR15, basically an AI format, with less body taper than the parent 6.8 case.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What does the chronograph say? I once chambered a 375h&h and had no brass to test the rifle. I used a few 300 wby cases to form the 375 brass. Dimensions looked right.....but the Web was different. First round stuck the bolt. I backed off south of the book and did it again. The lights said it was fast.....and they were right.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What brass did you use to form your Rimless Herrett cases? From our HAGAR experiences, some 30 Rem and 25 Rem brass is soft and not suitable for higher pressures.

Even the SPC brass can be spotty. SSA seems to have put out some bad (soft) lots. Hope Nosler cleans up their QC.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Thanks for posting that link ChrisF. Great reading.

Y
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Y
Brass is all 6.8 SPC - Nosler, S&B, and two batches of Hornady. The S&B and one Hornady batch are pulled from factory 6.8 ammo. All do it, although Nosler seems the worst; it does weigh about 10 grains more so capacity is slightly reduced.

The velocity readings are right in line with what the manufacturer says for the powder charge, and primers are well rounded too. The only thing wrong is the brass flow, at ~2gr and ~200 fps below what the manufacturer says is max.

Last edited by Yondering; 10/12/15.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just checking off possibilities, so please pardon the obvious question; No residual oil on cases from fireforming?

greydog's overgassing possibility is the realm of Rost. I'll point him over here. (I just realized that statement is true in multiple ways!) Are you able to remove the gastube easily and refire safely?

Other than that I'm stuck. Please keep updating.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Chris got my attention, its a bad month at work, fire prevention week etc...

But a quick glance, IMHO I"d shoot the gun wihtout a gas tube in place and see what the results are.

It simply could be too much gas starting to unlock the action early, allowing brass flow.

It also may be something otehr... but the indication of normal primer would lead me to think gas flow as Chris noted.

The easiest way is simply remove the tube, and then cycle action by hand. Problem goes away, you have an answer. Problem stays then at least you rule out an oversized gas port for the system(easy peasy way to make things cycle in an AR when we are in too much of a hurry to calculate things and drill the right size gas port.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Y
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by rost495
But a quick glance, IMHO I"d shoot the gun wihtout a gas tube in place and see what the results are.

Guys, thanks for the comments, but I've answered half the questions in this thread already in my first couple posts. Opinions or suggestions from people who didn't read all the details aren't as helpful as they might think.

Shutting off the gas was one of the first things I tried, by installing a spare gas block backwards. Brass flow still happened of course; timing can cause swipes but it doesn't cause the case head to push back into the bolt cutouts.

Last edited by Yondering; 10/12/15.
Y
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Y
Sorry guys, that came across a lot ruder than I intended, and I apologize. It wasn't directed to anyone in particular, but just a general frustration about how this forum seems to operate most of the time.

ChrisF, no oil on the cases or the chamber. A similar question along those lines got me thinking about slickness of the chamber though; if oil on the cases can cause an issue, maybe a slick chamber finish can too. Some experienced gunsmiths seem to agree.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 1minute, 160user, 62 invisible), 2,289 guests, and 1,412 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,943
Posts18,480,130
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.