Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Sharia.?

[color:#3333FF]Link..![/color][/b]

The nation’s pork producers are in an uproar after the federal government abruptly removed bacon, pork chops, pork links, ham and all other pig products from the national menu for 206,000 federal inmates.

The ban started with the new fiscal year last week.

[b]The Bureau of Prisons, which is responsible for running 122 federal penitentiaries and feeding their inmates three meals a day, said the decision was based on a survey of prisoners’ food preferences:

They just don’t like the taste of pork.

“Why keep pushing food that people don’t want to eat?” asked Edmond Ross, a spokesman for the prison bureau. “Pork has been the lowest-rated food by inmates for several years,” It also apparently got more expensive for the government to buy, although he did not provide specifics.

The National Pork Producers Council isn’t buying it. “I find it hard to believe that a survey would have found a majority of any population saying, ‘No thanks, I don’t want any bacon,'” said Dave Warner, a spokesman for the Washington-based trade association, which represents the nation’s hog farmers.

“We’re going to find out how this came about and go from there,” Warner said. “We wouldn’t rule out any options to resolve this.” He said the association “is still formulating our strategy” to reverse the prison decision, which the industry first learned about Monday when the Fort Worth Star-Telegram called for comment.

The pork industry produces 24 billion pounds a year of pork products, from tenderloin to bacon, its most popular product. About a quarter of that is exported.

Warner said pork is healthy and economical, especially for a big buyer like the federal government. “Not to throw beef under the bus, but we cost a lot less than beef.”

“We’re nutritious,” he said. “A boneless pork chop or loin is a very healthy alternative to lots of other foods. If you compare a pork tenderloin to a rib eye steak and a boneless chicken breast, we come out pretty well.”

But Ross said that based on annual surveys of inmates’ food preferences, pork lost its luster years ago. To wit: In the last two years, the federal prison menu dropped to just two pork products, he said.

“And we were paying more than what we’d like to pay,” Ross said.

“People are more health conscious these days,” he said. “Some people choose to be vegetarian or vegan. That’s their preference.” As of last week, the prison menu had added an “economically viable” turkey bacon substitute.

Incarcerated pork lovers still have an option: The prison commissary, a convenience store that sells packaged pork rinds and precooked bacon. But they have to pay.

Observant Muslims and Jews are forbidden to eat pork, and the prison system has long made accommodations for them by providing alternatives to pork and halal and kosher foods. Ross declined to say whether there has been an increase in Muslim or Jewish inmates in recent years and whether that may have factored into the survey responses.

“In general we welcome the change because it’s facilitating the accommodation of Muslim inmates,” said Ibrahim Hooper, a spokesman for the Council on American-Islamic Relations, the country’s largest Muslim civil rights advocacy group. “We hope it’s not an indication of an increasing number of Muslims in the prison system.”

Hooper predicted that anti-Islam groups would spin the decision into a case of the federal government acting under pressure from Muslims.

“This is just the kind of thing that drives them crazy,” he said. “It will stoke the fires of Islamophobia based on the usual conspiracy theories.”

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Expensive? BS.
Inmates don't like it? Again, BS. Everyone like sausage and bacon and ribs.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Canned SPAM.
What's next, tuna?
Chicken of the seas.

Sorry Charlie.

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just talked to my broker.
My shares of both will be gone by 8:02 AM.

I'm reivesting in pork bellies.
smile

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Cut them down to one meal a day, 1500 calories.....their palate will become remarkably versatile.

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Personally I don't think we should feed them anything more than bread and water

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Eat don't eat, I don't give a fugg.

80% of the people who find religion in prison convert to Islam...........

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
We are so lost!

This is pathetic

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Eat don't eat, I don't give a fugg.

80% of the people who find religion in prison convert to Islam...........

Prison is an incubator for our own worse problems.

Feed them oatmeal six days a week, and a pork chop on Sunday. They'll eat the hell out of it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cutting out bacon might be considered as cruel and inhumane treatment…. but it might make some of those guys stay on the straight and narrow, if it was offered as an incentive for good behavior. It would probably be better than the possibility of an early release.

Harry
IC B3

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I like the bread and water thing.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
Sharia.?

“Why keep pushing food that people don’t want to eat?” asked Edmond Ross, a spokesman for the prison bureau. “Pork has been the lowest-rated food by inmates for several years,” It also apparently got more expensive for the government to buy, although he did not provide specifics.

why care what they *want* to eat. they are in prison. not the holiday day inn express.

like others said, give em bread and water.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I honestly think them getting bacon in prison is a sign we are too nice to inmates. But if they complain about the food give them bread and water like some of you guys said and see if they won't gobble down a slice of ham!

Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other. - Ronald Reagan

For why should my freedom be judged by another man's conscience? - 1 Corinthians 10:29
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
Sharia.?

why care what they *want* to eat. they are in prison. not the holiday day inn express.

like others said, give em bread and water.

I don't care if they feed them anything at all. IMO, this is Obama taking care of all the Muslim prisoners...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Feed them oatmeal six days a week, and a pork chop on Sunday. They'll eat the hell out of it.

And make them pound rocks 7 days a week.
If they want choices at meal time they can work evenings in the garden.

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
There's kids going to bed hungry, and our govt is pandering to prisoners. Total BS

I'd let the prisoners eat rats, mice, crows, seagulls, etc for their animal-based protein requirements.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Feed em pork 24/7 I say. Its good for em! :-)

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
All of the above. Screw them people. Lots of people on the outside have it worse and get less help.

LOL
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
do em like at Mississippi's Parchman,

make them farm.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by gitem_12
Personally I don't think we should feed them anything more than bread and water

Now let's have a little humanity around here. Three meals a day. Balony sandwiches. That will make them happy. Regardless they will take just about anything they can get after a couple of months of Baloney sandwiches. smile Works in Arizona. I don't think these other shariaphiles should get any less.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (1beaver_shooter, 222ND, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 06hunter59, 1_deuce, 64 invisible), 2,620 guests, and 1,190 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,474
Posts18,529,511
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.