Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
Originally Posted by CarlsenHighway
Is the old testament is no longer part of the bible?

I would have thought you'd have trouble doing away with the ten commandments in the effort to ignore the genocide and slavery.

Didn't say it isn't a part of the Bible. But it isn't The Scriptures.

So it holds no authority?

You're the one who's playing the part of a Biblical Scholar. What do you think?

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
GB1

A
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy
Originally Posted by Calvin
4ager,

Why don't you just post a picture of yourself and end all of this foolishness on the campfire.

antelope_sniper,

It's obviously the standard. Sexual purity is a theme throughout the New Testament. I suggest you read it.

Oh so pure: crazy

Matthew 25:1
Then shall the kingdom of heaven be likened unto ten virgins, which took their lamps, and went forth to meet the bridegroom.

Please quote the rest of the passage. You know this is metephor.

We are back to the question of honesty. Once again, you prove that you are not.

Oh, that's right, the groom only has sex with 5 of them. crazy

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Is there anything that the Scriptures point to that allows for polygamy?

Solomon had 700 wives.

Cain killed Abel.

Solomon having 700 wives and Cain killin Abel are simply statements of fact. Niether statement of fact suggest approval.

Since you mentioned Soloman...as king. Here is the commandment concerning a king:

Deuteronomy 17:17
“Neither shall he multiply wives to himself, that his heart turn not away: neither shall he greatly multiply to himself silver and gold.”

I have no issue with you using scripture. It is the dishonest way in which you do it that causes me to not respect you.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by CarlsenHighway
Is the old testament is no longer part of the bible?

I would have thought you'd have trouble doing away with the ten commandments in the effort to ignore the genocide and slavery.

Didn't say it isn't a part of the Bible. But it isn't The Scriptures.

So it holds no authority?

You're the one who's playing the part of a Biblical Scholar. What do you think?

You are the one claiming it's not scripture. Since it sounds like you are not even familiar with the definition, I'd like to hear the implication of what your statement "the OT is not scripture", means to you.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pete E

Not sure about the NT teaching on the matter..I assume it supports monogamy, but don't know enough to be 100% sure..

Nothing could be further from the truth. No where does the Bible say thou shalt have one wife.

According to the Bible a man can have all the wives, concubines, and sex slaves he wants and can afford.

There is one passage in one of the Timothys (Timothies?) where Paul is laying out the qualifications for deacons or bishops and one of the recommendations is that he be the husband of one wife. This has to do with the extra duties required of the office rather than a moral prohibition against multiple wives.

Think of it this way. If you have a bunch of hens yappin' at you to do things, where in the hell will you find the time to carry out extra responsibilities outside the home?

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by jimmyp
Originally Posted by 4ager
Originally Posted by oldtrapper
Definitely, not Christ at work.

Just "christians", as was ingwe's point.

Religion is different than Christianity.

+1

DF

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
To me, The Scriptures have always referred to the New Testament. Although I've read it for a long time, I'm not a scholar. Having said that, when I hear someone referring to The Scriptures, I think of the New Testament.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by jimmyp
Originally Posted by 4ager
Originally Posted by oldtrapper
Definitely, not Christ at work.

Just "christians", as was ingwe's point.

Religion is different than Christianity.

+1

DF

Religion is not different than Christianity.

Christianity is a subset of religion.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I know multiple "so called Christians" who act as they want monday-saturday, drink beer etc, etc, then come Sunday they are the saints of the church.

Fück Joe byron
A
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
To me, The Scriptures have always referred to the New Testament. Although I've read it for a long time, I'm not a scholar. Having said that, when I hear someone referring to The Scriptures, I think of the New Testament.

If the OT is not part of your Scripture (which means holy writings, or sacred writings), you are throwing out the Ten Commandments, as well as the Story of Adam and Eve, and the Garden of Eden. Without the Garden of Eden, there is no original sin, and therefore no need for a bloody human sacrifice to wash it away. In so doing, you've just nullified the primary purpose behind your religion.

IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Hammer2506
I know multiple "so called Christians" who act as they want monday-saturday, drink beer etc, etc, then come Sunday they are the saints of the church.

And if the service runs 10 minutes over they are mad as HELL.

The end of democracy, and the defeat of the American Revolution will occur when government falls into the hands of lending institutions and moneyed incorporations.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Calvin
4ager,

Why don't you just post a picture of yourself and end all of this foolishness on the campfire.

antelope_sniper,

It's obviously the standard. Sexual purity is a theme throughout the New Testament. I suggest you read it.

Oh so pure: crazy

Matthew 25:1
Then shall the kingdom of heaven be likened unto ten virgins, which took their lamps, and went forth to meet the bridegroom.

Please quote the rest of the passage. You know this is metephor.

We are back to the question of honesty. Once again, you prove that you are not.

Oh, that's right, the groom only has sex with 5 of them. crazy

Again, you show your ignorance of the very scriptures you cite. The groom has sex with none of them.

The complete context of the passage of which you deliberately misrepresent:

Mathew 25
1Then shall the kingdom of heaven be likened unto ten virgins, which took their lamps, and went forth to meet the bridegroom.
2 And five of them were wise, and five were foolish.
3 They that were foolish took their lamps, and took no oil with them:
4 But the wise took oil in their vessels with their lamps.
5 While the bridegroom tarried, they all slumbered and slept.
6 And at midnight there was a cry made, Behold, the bridegroom cometh; go ye out to meet him.
7 Then all those virgins arose, and trimmed their lamps.
8 And the foolish said unto the wise, Give us of your oil; for our lamps are gone out.
9 But the wise answered, saying, Not so; lest there be not enough for us and you: but go ye rather to them that sell, and buy for yourselves.
10 And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came; and they that were ready went in with him to the marriage: and the door was shut.
11 Afterward came also the other virgins, saying, Lord, Lord, open to us.
12 But he answered and said, Verily I say unto you, I know you not.
13 Watch therefore, for ye know neither the day nor the hour wherein the Son of man cometh.

You deliberately left out vs 1 with the phrase "likened unto". Anyone with an ounce of integrity would recognize that what follows is not literal...but figurative

However, I am glad you chose this distortion, as it is common place with you. It does directly apply to the topic at hand. The 5 wise virgins with oil in their lamps represent those who "possess" Christ. The 5 foolish virgins are those who only "profess" Christ.

Big difference!

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I'm not dismissing any of the New Testament. As I said, I have always thought of the Scriptures as New Testament writings. Nothing more. That has been my understanding. It sounds like I'm wrong. Not sure that's ever happened before...;)

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by efw
It is sad that we fall so terribly short of the One True Christian, Christ Himself.

Clearly what goes on in Church falls far short of "love thy neighbor as thyself". It's certainly true in my life.

Falling short of an ideal does not in my mind necessitate an abandonment of the ideal, however. I hope that all can say, Christian or non, that progress toward better loving of ones neighbor is a goal worth striving for on a daily basis.

+1,000!

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Ok guys, you've heard it here. Go get yourself some sex slaves. When you get to heaven, tell God that Antelope Sniper said it was OK.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Hammer2506

Are you suggesting that it's not ok to drink beer?

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Pete E

Not sure about the NT teaching on the matter..I assume it supports monogamy, but don't know enough to be 100% sure..

Nothing could be further from the truth. No where does the Bible say thou shalt have one wife.

According to the Bible a man can have all the wives, concubines, and sex slaves he wants and can afford.

No true! Please present your evidence.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Who cares?

If a crime was committed it appears the authorities have it under control.

Is it supposed to come as a shock that people in a church did something wrong?

Much of the Bible is written as letters to various church's of the time to admonish them.

Playing Devil's advocate again, par for the course.

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

A
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A

Solomon had 700 wives.

Cain killed Abel.

Solomon having 700 wives and Cain killin Abel are simply statements of fact. Niether statement of fact suggest approval.

Since you mentioned Soloman...as king. Here is the commandment concerning a king:

“Neither shall he multiply wives to himself, that his heart turn not away: neither shall he greatly multiply to himself silver and gold.”

I have no issue with you using scripture. It is the dishonest way in which you do it that causes me to not respect you.

There's not dishonesty except you denying the words on the paper. After all, according to scripture, Solomon was the wisest man ever and his wisdom came directly from God:

4:29 And God gave Solomon wisdom and understanding exceeding much, and largeness of heart, even as the sand that is on the sea shore.
4:30 And Solomon's wisdom excelled the wisdom of all the children of the east country, and all the wisdom of Egypt.
4:31 For he was wiser than all men; than Ethan the Ezrahite, and Heman, and Chalcol, and Darda, the sons of Mahol: and his fame was in all nations round about.

In addition David had "many wives", with eight mentioned by name, and God approved of everything David did except his killing of Uriah.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G

Solomon had 700 wives.

Cain killed Abel.

There's not dishonesty except you denying the words on the paper. After all, according to scripture, Solomon was the wisest man ever and his wisdom came directly from God:

4:29 And God gave Solomon wisdom and understanding exceeding much, and largeness of heart, even as the sand that is on the sea shore.
4:30 And Solomon's wisdom excelled the wisdom of all the children of the east country, and all the wisdom of Egypt.
4:31 For he was wiser than all men; than Ethan the Ezrahite, and Heman, and Chalcol, and Darda, the sons of Mahol: and his fame was in all nations round about.

In addition David had "many wives", with eight mentioned by name, and God approved of everything David did except his killing of Uriah.

Again, you have a very selective way of reading the scriptures.

I Kings 11:

1But king Solomon loved many strange women, together with the daughter of Pharaoh, women of the Moabites, Ammonites, Edomites, Zidonians, and Hittites; 2Of the nations concerning which the LORD said unto the children of Israel, Ye shall not go in to them, neither shall they come in unto you: for surely they will turn away your heart after their gods: Solomon clave unto these in love. 3And he had seven hundred wives, princesses, and three hundred concubines: and his wives turned away his heart. 4For it came to pass, when Solomon was old, that his wives turned away his heart after other gods: and his heart was not perfect with the LORD his God, as was the heart of David his father. 5For Solomon went after Ashtoreth the goddess of the Zidonians, and after Milcom the abomination of the Ammonites. 6And Solomon did evil in the sight of the LORD, and went not fully after the LORD, as did David his father. 7Then did Solomon build an high place for Chemosh, the abomination of Moab, in the hill that is before Jerusalem, and for Molech, the abomination of the children of Ammon. 8And likewise did he for all his strange wives, which burnt incense and sacrificed unto their gods.

9And the LORD was angry with Solomon, because his heart was turned from the LORD God of Israel, which had appeared unto him twice, 10And had commanded him concerning this thing, that he should not go after other gods: but he kept not that which the LORD commanded. 11Wherefore the LORD said unto Solomon, Forasmuch as this is done of thee, and thou hast not kept my covenant and my statutes, which I have commanded thee, I will surely rend the kingdom from thee, and will give it to thy servant. 12Notwithstanding in thy days I will not do it for David thy father's sake: but I will rend it out of the hand of thy son. 13Howbeit I will not rend away all the kingdom; but will give one tribe to thy son for David my servant's sake, and for Jerusalem's sake which I have chosen.

All you have proved is that wisdom is no substitute for obedience.

The warnings of God to the multipling of wives came to pass in Solomon's life...just as God had warned. Did you not know this? I think not. You just conviently left it out...as is your habbit.

As to David, please provide evidence where God said he approved of everything he did except the killing of Uriah.

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

626 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 78 invisible), 2,678 guests, and 1,300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,477
Posts18,471,628
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.