Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I've entered a few of them along the way. Never felt comfortable in any of them.

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
I've entered a few of them along the way. Never felt comfortable in any of them.

I'm with you MM...

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CCCC
Originally Posted by 4ager
If all you got out of that is an erroneous opinion that I set out to "bash Christians", then that says more about your objective in reading into things than it does about any statement I made.
No, what I got from that particular post was not any opinion about your "bashing' - you have demonstrated the bashing in earlier threads. Assuming that it was sincere, your post demonstrated ignorance and limited scope. Read carefully - you used the term "haughty" on you own and you are the one that tried to lump all Christians and supposed Christians into one behavior pattern. If you want to see "haughty" maybe try looking into the mirror.

Dead wrong, as usual. I realize playing the "christian victim" card comes easy, but it still doesn't make it right.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by toad
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

I'm with you MM...

Ditto.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I discounted Christianity as a teenager, once I figured out I could have invented a more moral religion myself, and with less pretending in absurdities that result in things like this.

"A person that carries a cat home by the tail will receive information that will always be useful to him." Mark Twain
IC B2

A
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by oldtrapper
Hey AS, it's like catnip for you isn't it?

Give it a rest, you're starting to look troubled.

So all you have left is personal attacks.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
A
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy
No where in that passage does it refer to "sex slaves". That idea comes from your own twisted mind.

Really?

What do you think they did with the 32,000 virgin after murdering the rest of their families?

Besides Deuteronomy 22:28-29 lays out rules for keeping your new captured war bride.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by moosemike
1 Kings:
15:5 Because David did that which was right in the eyes of the LORD, and turned not aside from any thing that he commanded him all the days of his life, save only in the matter of Uriah the Hittite.
God punished David harshly for killing Uriah to get Bathsheba for himself. God did not approve of everything David did. God was wroth with David for numbering Israel too.

So you are saying the above passage from the Bible is wrong, and the Bible contradicts itself?

No. That is not what he is saying. He is being an honest student of the scriptures...and not looking for a disingenuis way to come to an "I got you" soundbite.

The passage you cited said:

David did that which was right in the eyes of the LORD, and turned not aside from any thing that he commanded him all the days of his life, save only in the matter of Uriah the Hittite.

The passage you cited did not say:

Everything David did...was a command of the Lord.

Big difference. One that a person operating in sencerity would reconize.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
No where in that passage does it refer to "sex slaves". That idea comes from your own twisted mind.

Really?

What do you think they did with the 32,000 virgin after murdering the rest of their families?

Besides Deuteronomy 22:28-29 lays out rules for keeping your new captured war bride.

First, the passage you cited has nothing to do with what you call "captured war bride."

Secondly, what you or I think (as you so like to put it) is irrevelent. Only what you can prove, correct?

A
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
A

Now who's being dishonest?

I didn't use the work command. I used the word approved.

Again, but difference.

IC B3

A
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
A

Really?

First, the passage you cited has nothing to do with what you call "captured war bride."

Secondly, what you or I think (as you so like to put it) is irrevelent. Only what you can prove, correct?

If you don't think the captors had sex with the captured virgins you are being naive, dishonest, or just ignoring all context.

After all, the tribe of Benjamin is at most half Jewish because all their wives were captured war brides.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G

Again, but difference.

The scripture you cited 1 Kings 15:5 used he word command.

Command and approve are two different concepts. However, this is typical of you to interject your own meaning into the text.

If you qoute the text using the word command...and you interject the word approved...the fact remains that this is dishonest.

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E

There is a lot to be said of a man who obsesses so compulsively over that which he claims to be convinced is ludicrous.

An awful lot to be said of those who continually engage him too I suppose but it is the innerwebs...

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G

Really?

If you don't think the captors had sex with the captured virgins you are being naive, dishonest, or just ignoring all context.

After all, the tribe of Benjamin is at most half Jewish because all their wives were captured war brides.

The context Deu. 22: 28 and 29 is not "captured virgins." If that is your contention, you are just plain wrong.

Secondly...and again...using your standard, what you think is irrelevent...only what you can prove.

Lastly, if you want to discuss the tribe of Benjamin. Give the citations, and we'll attempt (as futile as it usually proves to be) to discuss them honestly.

Otherwise, as George Will once said, your bringing this up is simply the act of "A pyromaniac in a field of straw men."

With all due respect.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
A

Again, but difference.

Command and approve are two different concepts. However, this is typical of you to interject your own meaning into the text.

If you qoute the text using the word command...and you interject the word approved...the fact remains that this is dishonest.

Now you are ignoring the first half of the passage:

David did that which was right in the eyes of the LORD...

By extension, you are also claiming that God did not approve of David's multiple wives, but never took the time to say anything about it to him...

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 10/20/15.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by efw

There is a lot to be said of a man who obsesses so compulsively over that which he claims to be convinced is ludicrous.

An awful lot to be said of those who continually engage him too I suppose but it is the innerwebs...

He lives for this. It is his mission. It is only out of friendliness that some of us engage him.

Eventually, most everyone tires (with the exception of AS perhaps) and we move on.

As for myself, and I think I speak for AS, there are no hard feelings...even though the discussion is often plain spoken and straight foward.

When I tire, I say so, and I disengage. I have not found AS to be so petty as to continue referring back to my posts after that point. I can respect that. I hope he can say the same about me.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
A

Really?

The context Deu. 22: 28 and 29 is not "captured virgins." If that is your contention, you are just plain wrong.

Secondly...and again...using your standard, what you think is irrelevent...only what you can prove.

Lastly, if you want to discuss the tribe of Benjamin. Give the citations, and we'll attempt (as futile as it usually proves to be) to discuss them honestly.

Otherwise, as George Will once said, your bringing this up is simply the act of "A pyromaniac in a field of straw men."

With all due respect.

You are correct, the passage I wanted was a chapter earlier, 21:10-14:

I accidentally quoted the passage that may require a woman to marry her rapist. crazy

21:10 When thou goest forth to war against thine enemies, and the LORD thy God hath delivered them into thine hands, and thou hast taken them captive,
21:11 And seest among the captives a beautiful woman, and hast a desire unto her, that thou wouldest have her to thy wife;
21:12 Then thou shalt bring her home to thine house, and she shall shave her head, and pare her nails;
21:13 And she shall put the raiment of her captivity from off her, and shall remain in thine house, and bewail her father and her mother a full month: and after that thou shalt go in unto her, and be her husband, and she shall be thy wife.
21:14 And it shall be, if thou have no delight in her, then thou shalt let her go whither she will; but thou shalt not sell her at all for money, thou shalt not make merchandise of her, because thou hast humbled her.

As for the Civil war the nearly wiped out the tribe of Benjamin, it's judges 19-21. Once again, a city is slaughtered for their virgin daughter, and since the Jews were still shot a couple hundred, they went and stole the remaining virgins from the city of Shiloh.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G

Again, but difference.

By extension, you are also claiming that God did not approve of David's multiple wives, but never took the time to say anything about it to him...

God had already given the prohibition against having multiple wives.

Deu. 17:

Neither shall he multiply wives to himself, that his heart turn not away: neither shall he greatly multiply to himself silver and gold.

18And it shall be, when he sitteth upon the throne of his kingdom, that he shall write him a copy of this law in a book out of that which is before the priests the Levites: 19And it shall be with him, and he shall read therein all the days of his life: that he may learn to fear the LORD his God, to keep all the words of this law and these statutes, to do them: 20That his heart be not lifted up above his brethren, and that he turn not aside from the commandment, to the right hand, or to the left: to the end that he may prolong his days in his kingdom, he, and his children, in the midst of Israel.

Not only that, he was to write himself a copy of the law...[to] read therein all the days of his life.

God did speak to him about it, just not in the way you seem to require.

The principle was established, it was read by him, copied by him, and he was commanded to continue to read it {the Law...he himself copied] all the days of his life.

Pretty straigh forward...even for one predisposed to argument.

This, as you have probably figured out by now, takes us right back to the issue of free will. David chose to disobey God's clear command.

David having multiple wives, with half-brothers and half-sister was also a contributing factor in the distruction of his family. Namely, a half-brother raping his half-sister, which resulted offender's murder.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by efw

He lives for this. It is his mission. It is only out of friendliness that some of us engage him.

Eventually, most everyone tires (with the exception of AS perhaps) and we move on.

As for myself, and I think I speak for AS, there are no hard feelings...even though the discussion is often plain spoken and straight foward.

When I tire, I say so, and I disengage. I have not found AS to be so petty as to continue referring back to my posts after that point. I can respect that. I hope he can say the same about me.

So long as we are attacking the arguments, and not the people, I see no reason for hard feelings.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
A

Again, but difference.

God has already given the prohibition against having multiple wives.

Deu. 17:

Neither shall he multiply wives to himself, that his heart turn not away: neither shall he greatly multiply to himself silver and gold.

18And it shall be, when he sitteth upon the throne of his kingdom, that he shall write him a copy of this law in a book out of that which is before the priests the Levites: 19And it shall be with him, and he shall read therein all the days of his life: that he may learn to fear the LORD his God, to keep all the words of this law and these statutes, to do them: 20That his heart be not lifted up above his brethren, and that he turn not aside from the commandment, to the right hand, or to the left: to the end that he may prolong his days in his kingdom, he, and his children, in the midst of Israel.

Not only that, he was to write himself a copy of the law...[to] read therein all the days of his life.

God did speak to him about it, just not in the way you seem to require.

The principle was established, it was read by him, copied by him, and he was commanded to continue to read it {the Law...he himself copied] all the days of his life.

Pretty straigh forward...even on one predisposed to argument.

Then you have another contradiction. Both passage cannot be true.

But the Bible is full of contradictions that would not occur if it was truly the result of an all knowing, all powerful, all loving supernatural being.

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 12savage, 1234, 007FJ, 59 invisible), 1,910 guests, and 1,290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,176
Posts18,523,703
Members74,030
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.