Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Who the heck are these guys, or are they only "activist" in a business sense?

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...tivist-elliott-associates-takes-11-stake

"Now the retailer needs to appeal to outdoor shoppers who aren’t interested in so-called blood sports like fishing and hunting, he said.
“It’s clear they need a face-lift,” Scherrer said. “What they need to do is get to the people who like outdoor experience -- the REI crowd.”"

�Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a closer look at the American Indian.� - Henry Ford

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
i been a Cabelas man forever. But there are plenty of other outdoor retailers to choose from if Cabelas gets tired of "the blood sport" gang. With the internet I find myself ordering direct from manufacturers and smaller retailers anyway and less and less from one source like Cabelas. The Whole supply line and distribution is changing with fullfillment centers and 3rd party logistics. Amazon is a good example. If your the kind of buyer who needs to put your hands on a product before you pay for it then you will be more effected. I live five minutes from a Bass Pro store but I rarely set foot in the place. Yes it will be a sad day for Cabelas but times they are a changing .Like it or not.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
LOL! Don't we have enough "REIs" out there?

Places like that and Dick's are about useless and have that market pretty well sewn up. There's not much difference between those places and Target.

I call Dick's Sporting Goods "Broken Dicks". smile

Islam is a terrorist organization.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
so they want to turn it into an Academy.

tennis, golf, soccer, kickball, and more clothes.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
we just got a new gander mtn less than a month ago. bass pro down the street, academy across town. looks like they all have plenty of shoppers stalking the aisles.

IC B2

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
My only complaint with all these places is if we were to put an embargo on all Chinee made stuff, all these places would go out of business!! Good lord its damn hard to find anything else there!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They're about to open a new Dick's here. I'm not excited.

I'll still favor my local shop, and Sportsman's Warehouse is decent. I order from Cabela's on occasion but it's not my 'go-to' online place.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good lord its damn hard to find anything else there!

It is not only there, it is everywhere you shop. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
My only complaint with all these places is if we were to put an embargo on all Chinee made stuff, all these places would go out of business!! Good lord its damn hard to find anything else there!

That is driven by the consumers, who buy on price alone.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
They will do what is most profitable. As they should.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by EdM
They will do what is most profitable. As they should.

It is a sad generation that lives by this concept. That didn't used to be the case, but 2015 is a different century anymore...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Cabelas has had negative ID store sales for the past 8 QTR's. That is not a recipe for success in today's retail environment.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
We have a Dicks here in town and I don't know how they sell anything as high as their prices are.

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Whitebird
Cabelas has had negative ID store sales for the past 8 QTR's. That is not a recipe for success in today's retail environment.

This is a recipe for disaster, designed by MBA's that attend marketing seminars, modeled on sale based data that could be anything from tennis shoes to brooms. They learn at these seminars, how important it is to scale your availability to population and not demographic...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It's hard for me to imagine how the huge brick and mortar stores like Gander Mountain stay in business.

abusus non tollit usum
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ruger438
"Now the retailer needs to appeal to outdoor shoppers who aren’t interested in so-called blood sports like fishing and hunting, he said.
“It’s clear they need a face-lift,” Scherrer said. “What they need to do is get to the people who like outdoor experience -- the REI crowd.”"

Whether you like Cabelas or not, Cabelas leads its field. If this happens, Cabelas will decline.

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
if we were to put an embargo on all Chinee made stuff,

I'll sure second that. I can spend an hour in one of those big stores (Cabelas, Sportman's Warehouse) and not find anything appealing. Just tons of cheap but overpriced stuff.

1Minute
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I read it too. A little different perspective in that cabella's has had growing pains expanding, combined with a wierd economy. The stock was way beaten down and not reflecting it's value. Prime for an activist group to jump in.
I hear a lot of snot about cabella's but the local one seems to be packed most of the time. It's much more than just a bullet store.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
There was just an article on how Cabelas stores are cannibalizing each other meaning new locations are stealing business from existing locations. They put up too many stores. They should have stuck with mail order instead of trying to expand beyond reasonable growth expectations.

Meanwhile their mail order has declined. Stores in my state means sales tax. Shipping is slow and sloppy. If I order 10 items, it will come spread out over a week in 5 packages. Used to be the first place I look now it's one of the last.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by night_owl
It's hard for me to imagine how the huge brick and mortar stores like Gander Mountain stay in business.

IF you could see their profit margin, that would answer your question.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

681 members (1badf350, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 163bc, 10gaugeman, 71 invisible), 3,066 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,539
Posts18,509,990
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.