Hop To
Page 5 of 175 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 174 175
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
That's exactly what it means.
Matter of fact....in some area's the vehicle's owner is actually liable for damages.
When I worked on some company housing for the copper mine in BagDad AZ back in the 70's all the local's joked that the area "ranchers" made ten times the value of a scraggly old range cow when one got hit by a truck belonging to the contractor that hauled the concentrate than they ever could have at auction.
Seems every cow they owned was a prize breeder....including the steers.

open range means exactly that, you hit one, you pay for it.
you don't want to be hitting one of those cows, they do leave dents. And i am muy familar with those windy roads leading into and out of bagdad, and the concentrate trucks. Open range is open range, even in this day not everything is fenced, God bless.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
You learn to slow down really quick and the free range areas are usually very well marked. Usually.

Worst I've ever seen was AZ on their reservations. Holy fugking schit.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by deflave
You learn to slow down really quick and the free range areas are usually very well marked. Usually.

Dave

i was gonna ad about the rez land in northern arizona. You can see a lot of fenced land, and horses grazing outside the fence along the freeway right of way. Rez indians don't take real good care of any animal, and i have seen many times horses with their ribs showing trying to get a bite of grass. I would not want to hit an animal up there and end up in the tribal court system.
They don't like white people having guns on the rez either. Which means being darn careful if you pull off the freeway for any reason, make sure you stay on the right of way.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Pile into a black cow, at night, and be stuck for damages! That'd suck.

I'd be keeping my mouth shut and splitting a side of beef with the tow truck driver.

Reminds me of an interesting incident here.

Few years back, we moved some pairs down the road to our other place. I noticed a calf seemed a little sore.

A guy shows up later that day or maybe the next day asking where the cattle that had been in that pasture were and who's they were.

I said they were moved out and didn't tell him they were mine because I had a suspicion something wasn't right.

Seems he and a buddy hit a calf in the middle of the night and damaged his truck. He wanted to be paid for damages.

Now our area right here is not open-range and I was pretty sure he had hit a calf of mine. But, when the pieces were added up, things were amiss. Reality is/was, he had been drunk the night he hit the calf and didn't want to deal with the cops at that time. But, he wanted to come back after the incident and have me pay for it. No luck there. I told him to pack sand.

Couple weeks later, same guys rolled the same pickup after closing time. Seems like a gal was injured and they left her and took off afoot after the accident. Confirmed what I thought of the guy.

Last edited by Tarkio; 11/03/15.

Montana MOFO
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
Originally Posted by deflave

Dave

i was gonna ad about the rez land in northern arizona. You can see a lot of fenced land, and horses grazing outside the fence along the freeway right of way. Rez indians don't take real good care of any animal, and i have seen many times horses with their ribs showing trying to get a bite of grass. I would not want to hit an animal up there and end up in the tribal court system.
They don't like white people having guns on the rez either. Which means being darn careful if you pull off the freeway for any reason, make sure you stay on the right of way.

And if a drunk Indian hits you on the rez, you have about zero recourse.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Yes, it was open range. Yes, an 1800lb bull will leave a LARGE dent in a Subaru, enough that they airlifted the car's 2 occupants to Boise. I've heard that they're hurt pretty bad. They'll likely get the bill for the bull in addition to their other problems. That's what liability insurance is for.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
It probably went like this: "What, you aren't shooting my prize bull". "Sir, your bull is attacking people and is dangerous, we are going to have to put him down". As he raises his rifle to the deputies, "Over my dead body" and they obliged him.
That's a lot of speculation. I've lived in cattle country almost all my life and have put animals down myself. I can't imagine very many ranchers thinking twice about putting a "prize bull" down that was hurting folks. He'd have to be quite the [bleep]. And to do a little speculating of my own, his wife probably wouldn't be surprised into a heart attack if the old clown showed up dead and he'd been that much of an [bleep]. She'd more than likely fall over and break a hip from dancing a jig that the [bleep] was dead.

At this point, there's just no telling what happened. Maybe it was all accidental. I can't imagine too many rural Idahoans getting crazy at the sight of a gun-LE included.

I'm amazed that all these folks who live in cattle country don't know that most ranchers are insured for loss of animals on open range to vehicle collision.

I've handled many such claims over the years, probably over a hundred, and in every instance the scrawny dead animal was the rancher's prize bull or best calf producing heifer. They get paid well for the animal loss in most instances.

Also, in many States livestock on open range have the right of way on roads and highways.

I'm wondering whether the rancher surprised the cops on scene by shooting the injured bull, and they instinctively responded to the shot??

As many have stated, it's a sad situation for all involved.

I found this, from 8 hours ago from USA Today

"Deputies were getting ready to put the animal down when the bull's owner, 62-year-old Jack Yantis, arrived on the scene with a rifle.

Zollman said there was an altercation and Yantis and both deputies fired their weapons.

Authorities are interviewing witnesses and checking for any video or audio recordings that were captured during the incident, according to Zollman.

Idaho State Police are handling the investigation."[u][/u]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
That's exactly what it means.
Matter of fact....in some area's the vehicle's owner is actually liable for damages.
When I worked on some company housing for the copper mine in BagDad AZ back in the 70's all the local's joked that the area "ranchers" made ten times the value of a scraggly old range cow when one got hit by a truck belonging to the contractor that hauled the concentrate than they ever could have at auction.
Seems every cow they owned was a prize breeder....including the steers.

open range means exactly that, you hit one, you pay for it.
you don't want to be hitting one of those cows, they do leave dents. And i am muy familar with those windy roads leading into and out of bagdad, and the concentrate trucks. Open range is open range, even in this day not everything is fenced, God bless.

Yea....I figured you knew that country.

I got to drinking with a couple of those truck drivers one night over in Yarnell....don't know if it's true or not but they swore that a couple of those "ranchers" never sold a single cow at auction...said they just branded em and turned em loose next to the road.
I know one thing though...there was "almost" as many dead cows on the road as there were dead skunks...and if you know that road, you know you can't drive a mile without hitting a skunk.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
[They don't like white people having guns on the rez either.

You'd think they would have learned a lesson......

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labΓ© skΓ½la

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like these anti cop threads/remarks.
Mainly because i know the posters have never walked the walk.
And had to fill the shoes.
and edited to say they didn't have the nads to fill the shoes.

You forgot to add they wouldn't pass the psych evals.

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Considering who does pass the psych evals and what they do/become I don't think that is an honest representation of the effectiveness of "psych evals". In other words your "slam"=fail.

Having worked with and for police for a number of years and having passed their psych evals I have the unique perspective of knowing what I'm talking about.

οΏ½Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.οΏ½ οΏ½General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn LabΓ© SkΓ½la~
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Pile into a black cow, at night, and be stuck for damages! That'd suck.

I'd be keeping my mouth shut and splitting a side of beef with the tow truck driver.

If you survived it. Did you miss the part about the car occupants being flown to a trauma center?

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
If you live in Idaho you should be aware of open range laws. Here is the link from the Idaho statutes.

Idaho Statutes

TITLE 25
ANIMALS
CHAPTER 21
ANIMALS RUNNING AT LARGE
25-2118. ANIMALS ON OPEN RANGE -- NO DUTY TO KEEP FROM HIGHWAY. No person owning, or controlling the possession of, any domestic animal running on open range, shall have the duty to keep such animal off any highway on such range, and shall not be liable for damage to any vehicle or for injury to any person riding therein, caused by a collision between the vehicle and the animal. "Open range" means all uninclosed lands outside of cities, villages and herd districts, upon which cattle by custom, license, lease, or permit, are grazed or permitted to roam.

History:
[25-2118, added 1961, ch. 249, sec. 1, p. 415.]

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
It you hit an animal in open range in Oregon you are buying it.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Interesting account off of facebook...

More information, a facebook post by an eyewitness...

Appears to me trigger happy rookies really screwed up.

β€œJack, Donna and Rowdy, Donna’s nephew, showed up to take care of their bull. Jack was bent down and a second from shooting the bull when a cop grabbed him from the back and spun him around. He shot Jack in the stomach and the other cop shot him 4 times in the chest. The cops were standing behind Jack.

Donna and Rowdy rushed down to Jack and the cops threw them face down on the ground and had guns to their head. Between what happened to her husband and the rough treatment, she had a massive heart attack. She was life flighted to Boise. She had another last night.

This story came from Jack’s nephew and it was told to him by Rowdy. The sheriff wanted Rowdy to change his account. The bull (becoming aggressive) seems key to the story but it wasn’t even in the account I heard from Jack’s nephew. There was crew trying to get the people out of the car that hit the bull. This sounds like a big coverup to me (the news account). I just can’t understand how those cops could have done that. We seem to get the ex military rambos around here. I’ve heard plenty about these deputies being difficult. I don’t know how Donna is doing. I hate to bother the family. I am pretty close to her and I’m so worried she isn’t going to make it.(This is a post on FB)β€œ

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Not if it's open range, no. The person who hit the livestock is responsible for damages.

BUT...if the animal escaped private land from a private fence the livestock owner is responsible.

Now you know why rural NV is called the "cow-counties". grin

In rural western states there is a lot of fenced private ground/farms in open range districts. That does not matter, it is still open range.

The area around Council where this accident occurred, bordering Hiway 95 is all private fenced property. Most ranchers do not like the thought of folks getting killed because a black cow got out on the hiway at night. They like the thought of injured people a lot less than they like the thought of losing cattle.

That said, sometimes cows will jump any reasonable fence. All that is needed for a bull to jump a five foot barb wire fence is for him to smell a hot cow on the other side.

Just this week we had to separate the neighbors black angus bull from my small herd of longhorns. I had a heifer in heat....and a fence five feet high composed of two tightly stretched barb wires over woven wire fencing just does not stand a chance when an 1800 pound bull comes down on top of it.

Sometimes in very rural areas you see warning signs that you are in open range. I have never seen such a sign in Payette Co where I live. But the vast majority of the county is open range.

I loaned a horse to some young girls so they could go for a ride about twenty years ago. The horse managed to get untied in their yard and trotted out onto the hiway where he was hit by a car. Fortunately the driver was not injured. But damn, I hated putting a bullet into that fine little cow pony. And the drivers liability ins cut a check for the value of the horse.

While it sounds like a very plausible scenario. I kind of doubt the origins of the statement concerning the rancher trying to interfere with the deputies shooting his bull. Adams Co Sheriff's Dept is certainly not talking with ISP conducting an investigation of the incident. And if there were any witnesses other than the deputies involved, I have not seen where the news media has gotten a word out of them. News media specifically stated that the rancher's wife had a heart attack after hearing of her husband's death.

Concerning the account credited to face book. Outraged family members would have flocked to local media outlets It would be on the front page of every tabloid in the state as well as the feature story on every news channel through the northwest.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
That sounds closer to the truth. The rancher was going to take care of what tweedle Dee and tweedle dumb couldn't/didn't and the 2 sh.itsticks took that as an affront to their manhood.

That's my condensed wag.

As long as they go home safe....

οΏ½Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.οΏ½ οΏ½General George S. Patton, Jr.

~Molɔ̀ːn LabΓ© SkΓ½la~
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Idaho shooter- I'd read earlier that there were quite a few witnesses as the road was closed for quite some time. They also had a number posted to call even if the actual shooting wasn't witnessed

~Molɔ̀ːn LabΓ© SkΓ½la~
A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by wildbill59
Sure seems like cops are killing a lot more people than say 10-20 years ago. What up with that?

Stupid people, or ordinarily smart people acting stupid when having encounters with police have a strong likelyhood of getting killed.

Solution, dont be stupid, however, if you are, be gently stupid.

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
Page 5 of 175 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 174 175

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (1234, 219 Wasp, 160user, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 60 invisible), 2,438 guests, and 1,229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,460
Posts18,489,808
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.