Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Azzhole cops aren't a new thing, and still seem to be gaining in popularity in some areas. Poaching isn't new either. Depending on what source you get your info from you will get a slanted point of view. This was one of many situations that go on all the time.

Bullies with Badges have clubs in every locale. I personally knew a gunshop owner that was harassed for years by the local cop. He had publically sworn he'd "get him" in the end. It eventually happend, and somehow the official statement made was that the shop owner shot himself (through the mouth, out the back of his head), which the responding cop felt threatened by his actions so he shot him twice in the chest from the side. It came out that he was bragging months later how he had set the guy up and turned him in to the BATF.

The county Sheriff and BATF agents were going in to "raid" his store. The BATF had been in several times due to the cops insistance there was something going on. They never found anything wrong.

On this day the local cop, who was outside the city limits, entered the business alone just before the sheriff and BATF arrived. I have no doubt what happened. His niece was a friend of ours and although he was a little different, he was a Vietnam Vet, actively participated in local events, donated to various local interests, and had no criminal record.

The acceptance of paramilitary police & police state mentality with a willingness to allow constitutional rights to be violated in the name of public safety is a slope we will not be able to climb back up without a lot of blood sweat and tears.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BigNate
Azzhole cops aren't a new thing, and still seem to be gaining in popularity in some areas. Poaching isn't new either. Depending on what source you get your info from you will get a slanted point of view. This was one of many situations that go on all the time.

Bullies with Badges have clubs in every locale. I personally knew a gunshop owner that was harassed for years by the local cop. He had publically sworn he'd "get him" in the end. It eventually happend, and somehow the official statement made was that the shop owner shot himself (through the mouth, out the back of his head), which the responding cop felt threatened by his actions so he shot him twice in the chest from the side. It came out that he was bragging months later how he had set the guy up and turned him in to the BATF.

The county Sheriff and BATF agents were going in to "raid" his store. The BATF had been in several times due to the cops insistance there was something going on. They never found anything wrong.

On this day the local cop, who was outside the city limits, entered the business alone just before the sheriff and BATF arrived. I have no doubt what happened. His niece was a friend of ours and although he was a little different, he was a Vietnam Vet, actively participated in local events, donated to various local interests, and had no criminal record.

The acceptance of paramilitary police & police state mentality with a willingness to allow constitutional rights to be violated in the name of public safety is a slope we will not be able to climb back up without a lot of blood sweat and tears.

Your point is taken. However, the Claude Dallas incident happened nearly 35 years ago, long before the paramilitarization of law enforcement agencies.

I followed this story with great interest as it played out back then as I wanted to be a fish cop. I do not recall anything about Pogue being a bully.

Could just be the reporting, could be just the poor memory of a guy turning 50 in a couple of weeks, OR it could be revisionist history with people trying to justify a person's actions to fit their current view.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
agreed....

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
AB2506, I get what you're sayin', and I'm not one who thinks he was innocent. I was very interested in this particular case as we hunted and trapped coyotes and bobcat in the SW corner of Oregon. In fact, my Dad said he thought we'd actually seen him once at a fur buyers place.

I just think we have seen a slow degradation in every bit of society. So much in fact that it has become increasingly hard to believe anything from any one source until you've played devil's advocate from both sides. It's been a long time getting to where we are. The truth usually lies in the middle.

Pogue was an A hole who loved his job and athority too much from the people we talked too. One was a F&G LEO in the area working Ore. desert, and he himself wondered how much of case against Dallas was a farce. He said he figured there may have been a ticket waiting but what was "extensive violations" may have been exagurated.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
well i had to look up grouse creek ut. Heres your chance to own a section of land, play cowboy, and commune with the coyotes.
http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-search/Grouse-Creek_UT/type-land?source=web
Aint exactly a whole lot of people in the county.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Grouse Creek is actually about three Mormon families, Big ones. You'll be a REAL outsider there. eek

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
You're a straight shooter on the facts,L2s.

I respect your style.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just another douchebag murder, nothing more. Fine if you need to shoot a deer to eat, I am ok with that, but in most places in the lower 48 it will get you arrested for poaching if caught, and either a fine or jail, mostly just a fine. Not worth going to prison for no matter how you want to slice it.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
IIRC, the incident started over a bobcat Dallas had trapped. There was some question about which state he'd taken it in. I read somewhere that they had to do a survey to determine whether the killings had taken place in ID or NV. They thought that the game wardens might have been out of their jurisdiction. There's a lot of country out there and it would be very easy to be over the state line. GPS's weren't invented at that time. Even if that had been the case, it wouldn't have excused his execution style killings. It would have just moved the trial to Elko.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Barkoff
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Claude who....

OMG, how did you even find this thread, or did you have it bookmarked for a special occasion? Is today your birthday?

Funny how folks on here lack the ability to connect dots.

I was reading the Mad Trapper thread, which caused me to think about the Claude Dallas case so I did a search for it on the 'Fire and found this.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Originally Posted by FVA
Yeah. He paid his debt to society for murdering two good and professional men. Is living the free life now.

Never shoulda' spent a day in jail....and never had a debt to pay.

Apparently in Nevada whores and gambling are fine but living off the land isn't. No tax revenue that way and the gov't can't get their pound of flesh.

If you read what the rancher's son said it wasn't just living off the land...........
from the picture his statement painted Dallas was a serial game violator that did more than hunt for subsistence. Nazi mind set conservation officer mind set was also a factor.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by rusty51
Does anyone,have any info about the murderer Claud Dallas,just curious.

dallas is/was a chicken-chit running puzzy.

Gunner

Forgot another fact about puzzydallas, he was also a draft dodging communists chickenshitt.

Gunner

This thread should have stopped right there. That will about cover it...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
bump

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
why?

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
There was a book written about Claud Dallas. If I remember correctly it was titled "Outlaw: The True Story of Calud Dallas" If any of you are really interested. I have/had a copy but haven't seen it in years...

Last edited by CraigD; 11/05/15.
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by toltecgriz
The head of the Idaho F&G at the time was a friend of mine. To put it as nicely as I can, while he certainly condemned Dallas for what he did, he wasn't surprised based on who was involved.

BTW that wasn't the wardens' first trip to the camp.

Never the less, it was murder. They were game wardens (law enforcement officers) and he murdered them in cold blood. He should have hanged.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 280shooter
Elm's widow lives about 300' from me. She isn't a fan.

Was Elms body ever located?

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Yes, Elms' body was left at Bull Camp.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A few years ago, I talked to Sheriff Tim Nettleton about Pogue, Elms, and Dallas. It was quite interesting.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Yes, Elms' body was left at Bull Camp.

You are right so who was buried out in the desert and Dallas wouldn't tell where?

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (12344mag, 1936M71, 160user, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 58 invisible), 2,462 guests, and 1,213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,409
Posts18,470,334
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.