Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
man ,they seem to be everywhere this year. we've heard them at home all summer. there have been a few killed but now they seem be everywhere i go. we've seen a few on my hunt club that we couldn't get good shots at. they kept us awake half the night while camping this week.

a few days ago a friend was in his treestand near the main road 1 mile from my house and a car hit a deer. he heard the car slam something and got down a walked out to the road .a guy was sitting in his car watching 5 coyotes chewing on the deer he had just hit.it like they are no longer afraid.

more and more land owners are not allowing any hunting on there property in this area and they are killing everything.

GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
On the way to work last night, we came across a dead deer, and 20feet past it, a dead coyote, both right on the highway.

Not the first dead coyote on the road, but the first one I've seen in that close proximity.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Friends say that they are now on the Eastern Shore of Va as well.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Yep, yotes get so much blame

We have a lot of em here too. I even shoot em now and then.

But I keep track of my local deer by camera all year round.

I actually know for a fact that I"ve been as much as 3 straight years where there was either 100 percent survival of the fawns, OR I know where they were killed on the roadway.

This year we seem to have low survival and its a first, but we are fairly high rabbit cycle and I suspect that there is another factor called floods about the birthing times. It was bad here right then.

I seriously doubt all of a sudden they figured out how to kill fawns and with all the cover available it should have been a big job to kill fawns. But they sure could have.

Regardless most wild varmints are kept in check typically, though hide prices have hurt that the last many years and I have to whack a handful of coons now and then just to help... kinda sucks just wasting animals.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Coyotes in numbers will most certainly affect not only your Whitetail population but also your Turkeys. I have watched and observed our populations since the yotes first arrived in the mid 90s and they have declined to the extent that not only has our Turkey season been adjusted by the state but the same is now on the books for the Deer.

A freind also just sent me a video of a power line hunt where his buddy put his foam archery deer target out, took off the antlers and sprayed it with deer scent. He settled into his stand and shortly after a pack of yotes demolished the decoy. I have tried to enhance the video but it was sent via text and he doesn't have an email so thats a no go.

You can see the decoy getting tossed and shredded and hear the yotes going nuts!

Lowcountry Wildlife Management
Knowing Wildlife Beyond Science
[email protected]
Genesis 9;2
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Well I guess we just don't have large numbers here tehn.

They sure have not affected our numbers at all.

Turkesy OTOH, but really , the fire ants killed the turkeys off pure and simple, not any coyote

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Eastern coyotes are allegedly hybridized with Canadian wolves and run larger than the typical western version. They also have stronger jaws and bigger chompers. Most of the few I've seen look like they'd go at least 40 pounds or so, maybe more. In the South, they also cross with red wolves. There's also the coydog crosses, also larger than the Western ones. I watched a program on Netflix that detailed the evolution of the new, improved Eastern breed.

I've also read that the Eastern ones are smarter and harder to hunt, but don't know that for a fact.

Last edited by Pappy348; 11/09/15.

What fresh Hell is this?
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Originally Posted by srwshooter
man ,they seem to be everywhere this year. we've heard them at home all summer. there have been a few killed but now they seem be everywhere i go. we've seen a few on my hunt club that we couldn't get good shots at. they kept us awake half the night while camping this week.

a few days ago a friend was in his treestand near the main road 1 mile from my house and a car hit a deer. he heard the car slam something and got down a walked out to the road .a guy was sitting in his car watching 5 coyotes chewing on the deer he had just hit.it like they are no longer afraid.

more and more land owners are not allowing any hunting on there property in this area and they are killing everything.

All over my place in Botetourt County too. Killed more last year than all other things combined!

“There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don’t care who gets credit.” R. Reagan
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have always really enjoyed listening to the coyotes at night. That being said, we keep them in check, as much as possible. An AR15 resides in my truck 24/7 for coyote and feral hog control.
On all of our Ranches, this year, including a large Hill Country Ranch that I manage, we have a really good fawn crop. In typical years with normal rainfall, TX whitetails typically have a 60 % fawn crop survival rate. It has more to do with the rains falling at the correct time, and lots of it. Another words, more forage foods and plants that deer can utilize.

Biggest problem for turkeys are coons, possums, skunks, & Bobcats.
And it's pretty rare for a coyote to catch a turkey. That depredation is mostly due to the varmints eating turkey eggs. Also, feral hog population growth has also really hurt the turkey & quail population.

Fire ants are the main culprits in the destruction of our native quail population decline in TX, and have totally decimated the quail population in our Southeastern States, along with, of course, the usual varmints raiding their nests. Not so much, with Turkeys, though.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 11/09/15.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

Looks like you got some good predator hunting to do this winter. What you going to use?

IC B3

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Oklahoma is full of em. I kill 30 or so just out and about. If I'm predator hunting hard that number goes way up. Can't keep em out of my cat trap either. Thats also how I practice my LR shooting. Get a cow carcass and drag it to a place where I can post up way out there and go to town on em. Few years ago I killed one asleep on top of the carcass it was so full it looked deformed in the belly. I'll try to find a pic.

Joseph
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Eastern coyotes are allegedly hybridized with Canadian wolves and run larger than the typical western version. They also have stronger jaws and bigger chompers. Most of the few I've seen look like they'd go at least 40 pounds or so, maybe more. In the South, they also cross with red wolves. There's also the coydog crosses, also larger than the Western ones. I watched a program on Netflix that detailed the evolution of the new, improved Eastern breed.

I've also read that the Eastern ones are smarter and harder to hunt, but don't know that for a fact.

The only hybridization I recall reading about between coyotes and wolves were with the issue of red wolves. Some where trying to claim they were a hybrid and therefore not able to be listed as an endangered species. Do you have any links? The hybrid angle for eastern coyotes would be an interesting read.

I bet the size difference is due as much to amount of food available as anything.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
The population has exploded here in Northern LA as well. I've had more coyotes on trail cam this year than ever before, many in the daylight hours. I hear them every night at camp.

I killed a doe Saturday eve close to my camp and within 2 hours a pack was cutting up where I killed her. I assume they came to the blood as I gutted in camp.

My uncle had yotes chase a fawn into his pond a couple weeks ago. He said they almost had him b4 he hit the water.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
It's a PBS video, Nature:Meet the Coy-wolf.

Netflix has it and you can download it for $5 from Amazon or watch it for free if you're a Prime member.

The animals depicted look just like the ones I've seen wandering around in neighborhoods in Loudoun County, Virginia, and a big boy I spotted on a road on the West bank of the Shenandoah River in Clarke County. That one might have gone fifty pounds. I wouldn't want to encounter a group of ones like him unarmed.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
the hunt has already started.i'm piling up every deer carcus i can find on the farm next to me. farm gave me a permit to hunt them day and night.

i'm using my lefthanded 788 in 6mm topped with a bushnell 4200 6x24x40.will be feeding them 70gn varmagedon boolits at 3400fps.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
will be feeding them 70gn varmagedon boolits at 3400fps.

That'll make 'em sick. Bad sick.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Folks that don't think yotes catch, kill and eat both full grown deer and big Tom Turkeys just haven't studied the yote very much. I have volumes of files on the subject.

Yotes in density are a far greater threat to the wild turkey population than any other critter period. I have studied it not only with the state but with the NWTF.

During Wild Turkey nesting season the yotes will spread out and grid search for nests. Not only do they eat all the eggs but a broody hen turkey is an easy kill for them as well.

AS a matter of fact during the brood season the yotes go into Turkey mode just the same as a rainbow will go into mayfly mode. Most critters take advantage of the easiest most nourishing food available at the time. Its just common sense.

I have debated this over and over with our state bureaucrats, starting the debates around 20 years ago. Now our head biologist has obliged that yes they do most certainly represent a huge problem to both turkey and deer.

Lowcountry Wildlife Management
Knowing Wildlife Beyond Science
[email protected]
Genesis 9;2
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
We used to lease our small property out for cattle. I would see coyotes every year and gut piles would be gone overnight. You couldn't leave a deer overnight if you made a bad shot or lost the trail (luckily only happened once). I would hear them howl every night in the stand.

Three years ago I managed to get the family matriarch on board with letting the children use the property without cows screwing everything up.

We have gut piles for days now and I can't find a coyote on a trail camera. I can't explain it as just the cows because if they lived solely off calves people would be up in arms, but their presence seems to directly correlate to the availability of cattle, at least in my area (east of OKC).

Wild dogs (or at least "pets" not contained to their owner's property when not on a leash), now those are out of hand. They are aggressive and destructive and cause more harm to the quality of hunting that coyotes ever did.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've asked all my family and friends to save the deer hides and heads for me. I freeze them and then use them for coyote bait.

Several people have already asked me to come on their property and trap coyotes, when deer season is over. Also got several request for trapping hogs. Fellow called me today and wants me to put out some hog snares Sunday. Try and catch another piggy.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pappy348
It's a PBS video, Nature:Meet the Coy-wolf.

Netflix has it and you can download it for $5 from Amazon or watch it for free if you're a Prime member.

The animals depicted look just like the ones I've seen wandering around in neighborhoods in Loudoun County, Virginia, and a big boy I spotted on a road on the West bank of the Shenandoah River in Clarke County. That one might have gone fifty pounds. I wouldn't want to encounter a group of ones like him unarmed.
Thanks for the tip. I'll see if I can find it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

499 members (1beaver_shooter, 1234, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 06hunter59, 61 invisible), 2,463 guests, and 1,298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,553
Posts18,472,995
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.