Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
P
Porker Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Thanks JFE, I got that email as i'm sure you did also ... about 4 weeks too late .. darn, already had 1000 invested in the XCR 270 from Melbourne firearms, they still have a 30-06 XCR Trinyte available should you be interested, last one it seems

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
What pisses me off is Ruger never made a left hand 338 win mag: MkII, hawkeye or otherwise.. I'd be on board to buy one if that ever happened. Another question, why start with a 375 Ruger African for the build. Why not just buy a less expensive Hawkeye or MKII 300 win mag and do the build from there. It would have been cheaper...However, it's your money and you do what you want with it..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Porker
Yes, WSM ...modifying a bolt face by adding metal is not such a good idea...but I was desperate! The other comment was simply a courtesy to the seller giving reasons after showing interest in his WSM... anyways thanks for the compliment on the rifle, really liked your choice of calibers on those 4 custom lefty's of yours.
Come on, man, you stated you'd worked with an Aussie importer and a U.S. exporter to get a rifle previously. You couldn't have been that desperate. That Cleaver's Gun Shop appears to offer a few of the MRC 1999s at fairly reasonable prices.

Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
What pisses me off is Ruger never made a left hand 338 win mag: MkII, hawkeye or otherwise.. I'd be on board to buy one if that ever happened.
A means of obtaining a "factory" left-handed .338 WM was previously described; buy a left-handed 7mm Remington Magnum Hawkeye and a right-handed .338 WM Hawkeye, both currently available from CDNN, swap barrels, sell the newly 7mm RM right-handed Hawkeye, and down the road you go.

Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Another question, why start with a 375 Ruger African for the build. Why not just buy a less expensive Hawkeye or MKII 300 win mag and do the build from there. It would have been cheaper...However, it's your money and you do what you want with it..
The Hawkeye Alaskans and Africans are the most easily available left-handed STAINLESS rifles Ruger offered with a 0.532" bolt face.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
P
Porker Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Desperate to the extent that I would consider mod's on a WSM to get my M700 LH in a 6.5 Swede, NOT desperate for an importer/exporter...easier to find the im/exporters, the LH 700's are not (all I could find in the US was WSM's).

Cleaver's Montana's went up for sale 7 days ago ... 4 weeks ago I put $ down on an Rem XCR Trinyte... should have been just a bit more patient. Montana rifle fresh from the US through the accredited importer (Tasco) goes for over $3000, passed on that one

Hunter .. I was not going to compromise on a STAINLESS lefty in traditional open top action with correct bolt face as Bricktop said (dont like the contrasting bolt and action of Rugers much). A dealer in the US had a heap of these 338R's fairly priced and there was NOTHING readily available in that configuration for an affordable custom build. Rifle, new barrel, mercury tube, recoil pad, trued action all and all was $2500

Last edited by Porker; 11/29/15.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Desperate to the extent that I would consider mod's on a WSM to get my M700 LH in a 6.5 Swede, NOT desperate for an importer/exporter...easier to find the im/exporters, the LH 700's are not (all I could find in the US was WSM's).
You already crossed that line of desperation. You'll be money ahead and more satisfied with the results by going the one-off import/export route than trying to weld up and machine something like a WSM rifle to a more "conventional" round.

FYI, the WSMs and RCMs can potentially be rebarreled to 6.5mm Remington Magnum or .350 Remington Magnum.

IC B2

P
Porker Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Yip, canned that idea the moment my gunsmith waved me a red flag ... so the 270 XCR will get a new barrel, gentry safety and mauser style bolt knob with enough room to cycle properly .. in bead blast stainless (probably remove the trinyte) ..stock to be decided... Swede of course grin ...

Last edited by Porker; 11/30/15.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yip, canned that idea the moment my gunsmith waved me a red flag ... so the 270 XCR will get a new barrel, gentry safety and mauser style bolt knob with enough room to cycle properly .. in bead blast stainless (probably remove the trinyte) ..stock to be decided... Swede of course grin ...
Updates and photographs are mandatory for continued participation here. smirk

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Bricktop

If you were willing to go the CM route, you could buy both a right-handed Hawkeye in .338 WM and a left-handed Hawkeye in 7mm Remington Magnum -- both currently available from CDNN for $500 each. Swap the barrels (the extractor cuts are the same) and sell the right-handed gun. You'd be into a .338 WM for less than $1K upon selling the right-handed gun.

Please post a picture of this "Extractor Cut" on a barrel from a Hawkeye or MKII. I'd like to see it.

"Your range of experience runs that gamut from A to B, plus you're a nitwit. That's a hard combination to overcome, though some people try." - JB
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MattMan
Originally Posted by Bricktop
If you were willing to go the CM route, you could buy both a right-handed Hawkeye in .338 WM and a left-handed Hawkeye in 7mm Remington Magnum -- both currently available from CDNN for $500 each. Swap the barrels (the extractor cuts are the same) and sell the right-handed gun. You'd be into a .338 WM for less than $1K upon selling the right-handed gun.
Please post a picture of this "Extractor Cut" on a barrel from a Hawkeye or MKII. I'd like to see it.
If the extractor cuts are the same for a left-handed and right-handed gun, it's understood that there isn't an actual "cut." Certainly not like a Model 70 Winchester. How else would a left-handed and right-handed barrel interchange? Even someone as smart as you think you are ought to be able to understand that. But maybe not.

However, if you do have one of these pictures or renderings, please share.

I'll spare you the grief of trying to wrap your dim little mind around the definition of "euphemism," too.

CLICK D LINK FO' DUH WUD OF DUH DAY

P
Porker Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Hoping to post pic's as the rifle starts taking shape, and available funds crazy ... thanks for all the input guys...

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (160user, 10gaugeman, 02bfishn, 1234, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 54 invisible), 2,499 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,429
Posts18,470,760
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.