Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Interestingly, the 200-grain Partition is incredibly accurate. I was in Nosler's Ballistics Lab a few years ago and one of the guys was exclaiming that this was so.

And he fired four or five five-shot groups with the 200s in their .300WinMag barrel to show me. All groups were in the 0's.

Unbelieveable.

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by boliep

Cariboujack nailed it.

I'm glad there are still guys out there that like heavy for caliber bullets....I'd also run the 200gr. partition. They have been damn accurate in my 30-06's...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Sorry, but I am 1;2;3. I have shot a bunch of animals with the 30-06 and Hornady 165 grain bullets. They never let me down. Actually I don't shoot anything but 165 grain Hornady bullets. Moose aren't that hard to kill, and there isn't one animal I shot with the 30-06 that a heavier bullet or partition would have made them any deader...

That says a lot for the good ol 165gr. Hornady interlock. My 30-06 also loves both the SP and BTSP. They sure do kill stuff well too...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
200 partition.

Going deep long before the mono-metals with the added benefit of lead 'shrapnel' to aid in bullet effect...

happiness is elbow deep in elk guts.
NRA life member
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Old Crab,

I've used all three bullets on elk and other big game, and agree with those who say all will work. But have taken more elk with the 200-grain Partition than any other bullet, including the old semi-spitzer, which was what Nosler was still making when I first started elk hunting in the 1970's. I have yet to recover a 200 Partition of either sort from an elk, whether they were shot from a .30-06 or some sort of .300 magnum, but have recovered 168 TSX's and 180 Partitions from various animals, including some much smaller than a mature bull elk.

Obviously all the animals were dead, but if complete penetration is the goal (personally I'm not all that sure it's essential) the 200 Partition sure seems to do the job.

John,
Thanks for your note. I am indeed "leaning" toward the 200g Partition because it arrives downfield at very close to the same speed and trajectory of the other two bullets, but should be quite a "driver" with the additional mass and sectional density. Am going to order some and give it a try. My 06' has an 11-twist barrel, and that should be a great fit to the 200 spitzer.
Merry Christmas to you and yours.

“Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.”
--- Will Rogers
IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by dogzapper

Interestingly, the 200-grain Partition is incredibly accurate. I was in Nosler's Ballistics Lab a few years ago and one of the guys was exclaiming that this was so.

And he fired four or five five-shot groups with the 200s in their .300WinMag barrel to show me. All groups were in the 0's.

Unbelieveable.

Steve

Great info, Steve.
Nothing like witnessing the results right in front of your eyes.
I am looking forward to working up some loads after Christmas!

--- Will Rogers
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Sorry, but I am 1;2;3. I have shot a bunch of animals with the 30-06 and Hornady 165 grain bullets. They never let me down. Actually I don't shoot anything but 165 grain Hornady bullets. Moose aren't that hard to kill, and there isn't one animal I shot with the 30-06 that a heavier bullet or partition would have made them any deader...

That says a lot for the good ol 165gr. Hornady interlock. My 30-06 also loves both the SP and BTSP. They sure do kill stuff well too...

I won't argue with you about the interlocks....
My Dad and Uncle both ordered pre-64 300 h&h's many moons ago, and had Winchester ship them directly to Weatherby to get them chambered for the 300 Weatherby. Then, they used nothing other than Hornady Interlocks for 30 years of additional hunting in Eastern Oregon. (successful hunting)
Uncle Walt hand loaded for both Dad and himself, buying Weatherby brass and putting 180 grain interlocks on the nose.

--- Will Rogers
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Old Crab,

The Interlockeds are not a mistake either (Fireproof suit just put on :grin).

I used 180-grain Hornady SPBTs on my last safari and took about twenty-five animals with the bullet. All were one shot kills and the game varied from impala and warthog to a huge "blue bull" eland that weighed 1069kg ... 2,352-pounds.

I've also killed several bull elk with the Hornady 190-grain Interlocked SPBT in both the .30-06 and the .300 WinMag and have experienced nothing but one-shot DRT kills.

This is seemingly the Golden Age of bullets and rifle barrels. We are fortunate indeed.

Blessings,

Steve

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O

Old Crab,

The Interlockeds are not a mistake either (Fireproof suit just put on :grin).

I used 180-grain Hornady SPBTs on my last safari and took about twenty-five animals with the bullet. All were one shot kills and the game varied from impala and warthog to a huge "blue bull" eland that weighed 1069kg ... 2,352-pounds.

I've also killed several bull elk with the Hornady 190-grain Interlocked SPBT in both the .30-06 and the .300 WinMag and have experienced nothing but one-shot DRT kills.

This is seemingly the Golden Age of bullets and rifle barrels. We are fortunate indeed.

Blessings,

Steve

Steve,
I did pick up a box of 165g spbt's (interlocks) and am adding them to the mix to do some fun load work-ups this winter.
Your safari sounds like you had a great time! That Eland was a real monster..wow.
Thanks for all your input.

--- Will Rogers
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

to help at any time.

Merry Christmas to you and yours,

Steve

[Linked Image]

1,069Kg eland.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This is by far the heaviest-horned impala I've ever seen. And not only heavy, his horns measure 27"X27" inches in length. He is a true monster impala ... if such a thing is possible.

[Linked Image]

Rowland Ward bushbuck. Took me three days to close the deal, but it was worth every second of it. Gorgeous critter.

Steve

IC B3

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Steve, thanks for posting those great pics of your safari, and many blessings to you and yours through this Christmas Season and into 2016!

--- Will Rogers
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by boomwack
200 partition.

Going deep long before the mono-metals with the added benefit of lead 'shrapnel' to aid in bullet effect...

Yeah they've worked great for me.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Try all three, find the most accurate for the rifle and use that bullet. All three listed will work, one will probably be more accurate. My .06 likes 180gr bullets better than any other weight. Knowing if presented the long range shot can be taken with confidence. My 2 cents worth.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Old Crab, Obviously "reasonable" hunting rifle accuracy must be considered.If all bullets achieve your accuracy standards, then the Barnes(IMHO) would be the best choice. When the 200 grain Partition loses it's typical 35%, the Barnes 165/168 grainer will retain more weight.Which should equal greater penetration,which is beneficial with larger game. memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I have seen Barnes .30 180 TTSX shoot through both shoulders of a 06 and exit. Both with a 06 & .300Win. No small feat.

Lefty C

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by leftycarbon
I have seen Barnes .30 180 TTSX shoot through both shoulders of a 06 and exit. Both with a 06 & .300Win. No small feat.

Lefty C

In the same camp as highlighted in bold. See earlier post. Also all of the elk I have shot with .30 Barnes bullets, from 90-300 yd, didn't go farther than 20 yd after they were hit.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
memtb,

Unfortunately, retained weight doesn't have nearly as much effect on penetration as frontal area of a bullet. As noted in my previous post, I've shot animals with both the 168 TSX and 200 Partition, and in my experience their penetration is similar--but have never recovered a 200 Partition, even though I've shot more animals with it, and have recovered 168 TSX's.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
leftycarbon,

Have never had the opportunity to put a 200-grain Partition through both shoulders of a broadside elk, but have seen a 150 Hornady Interlock from a .30-06 through both shoulders and exit. A lot depends on what part of the shoulders they hit. In the instance of the 150 Hornady it went through both shoulder blades.

Perhaps the most impressive penetration from a 200 Partition I've seen was on an average 6-point bull. The bullet hit the middle of the big shoulder joint and exited at the rear of the ribcage on the other side.

Have shot lengthwise through a big mule deer buck with a 200-grain Partition, and have recovered a 168 TSX from a big mule deer from an angling shot that went in just in front of the left hip. The bullet ended up in the right shoulder.

I am not saying which bullet is superior, just saying that people who haven't used the 200 Partition shouldn't assume a TSX will always penetrate deeper.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
180 gr Nosler Partition.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

to help at any time.

Merry Christmas to you and yours,

Steve

[Linked Image]

1,069Kg eland.

Steve

Good Grief, that critter should have been domesticated because it looks like it could pull a 4 bottom plow without the use of diesel!

Last edited by Lonny; 12/04/15.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (257Bob, 270wsmnutt, 160user, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 1_deuce, 59 invisible), 2,519 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,366
Posts18,527,291
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.