Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by TheKid
Getting them all worked up and coming to the call, gobbling, strutting, and posturing while you try to stay hidden well enough they don't spot you before getting into shotgun range is way more fun to me than pulling up to the hay patch and rolling down the window to take ones head off with a varmint rifle. YMMV

That's it exactly. The reason people use shotguns is so the turkeys have to be called into range.

Picking one off at 200 yards with a 22-250, not so sporting.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

GB1

G
GRF Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Partsman; love the WKRP reference smile

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by smokepole
Getting them all worked up and coming to the call, gobbling, strutting, and posturing while you try to stay hidden well enough they don't spot you before getting into shotgun range is way more fun to me than pulling up to the hay patch and rolling down the window to take ones head off with a varmint rifle. YMMV

That's it exactly. The reason people use shotguns is so the turkeys have to be called into range.

Picking one off at 200 yards with a 22-250, not so sporting.

I understand your reasoning completely. Its all in how you view the game. It IS sporting with a rifle if you confine yourself to head shots....and it saves the meat .

I have never been one to get worked up about birds. They represent a change of diet to me from venison. I just want to convert them to edible things as expeditiously as possible. If you want more sport involved you can create it yourself, as we all do with other things we feel are important. i.e. fly fishing instead of spinning, stalking varmints instead of sniping them from long ranges etc.
So carry on and have fun with whatever you are doing! laugh

What rankled me about turkey hunting is the back east turkey hunters lobbied here and got legislation passed that made shotguns only legal in the spring.

I promise you the birds don't care what they get shot with.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Yes, the birds do care. When I hunt with my buds in Nebraska, they only use bows and arrows. I miss a lot, and it makes a big difference to the birds grin

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
There's also a big difference between hunting turkeys in spring and fall. We can still use rifles in the fall in Montana, and I can assure hunters who've only hunted gobblers in the spring that putting a .22 Hornet bullet into a big gobbler during autumn can be a pretty sporting proposition, regardless of whether you shoot him in the head or body. Jakes and hens, not so much.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Especially if you're wearing orange.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by TATELAW

Wish we could shoot them with a rifle around here. I'd be more interested in turkey hunting. You get caught shooting a turkey with a rifle around here and it will cost you a fortune!

Do you know or recall when that changed?

I hunted W of McComb for a number of yrs and then moved back to ArK. in 1986. <<During that time>>, you could hunt turkeys with a 'rifle' or even 'handgun' legally. On one occasion we bumped into a warden while we were hunting.

He was impressed that one of us was using a handgun.

Jerry

Don't know when it changed. I've never hunted them myself, just been told by others not to shoot them with a rifle unless I wanted to lose the rifle and pay a huge fine. I did look up the regs before posting and they state clearly that bows, crossbows, and shotguns are the only legal weapons.

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Tatel:

Thnx for your time and checking:

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In most instances, the rifle restrictions on turkey are due to the perception that a hunter would be more likely to hit another hunter with a rifle load than shot out of shotgun as the bullet is thought to travel further. The fear here is driven from hunting on crowded public land, where you never know what's beyond your target.

In truth, a 38 SPL target load would be perfectly adequate to kill a turkey at close range and probably be in the dirt within 80 yards. However, you probably won't see these rifle restrictions coming off any time soon. In reality, if you took my example and said it was legal to shoot 38 SPL at turkey, somebody would then try to push it with a 38 SPL +P and there would be some idjut out there with a .223 REM trying to take them at 200 yards. I see the point. I just wish I could shoot 38 SPL at turkey here in Kentucky.

As to the original topic: I used to watch a lot of hunting shows, but it was because I had a dog that loved to watch them. Barney really took those shows seriously, and we had a lot of fun together.

In my experience, the average TV show hunter is a lot like the average hunter I see coming into the local deer processor. Some deer come in blown in half. Some look like pincushions.
Most hunters start out with good intentions, and it just does not always go so well. The TV guys are not all that bad, they just do it on TV.

The reason you see so many trophy shots taken in the dark is that it takes a while to do the setup, and the video cameras are not as sensitive relative to the human eye. Any deer shot around sundown is going to require artificial lights, even if the human eye can still see it.

Take this as an example:

Tagging out, 2014

I shot this doe at 4:15 PM. She fell just inside the treeline about 60 yards from where I hit her. Sundown was at 5:30. It was right at sundown but still plenty light when I got the truck to her, but I had to use a flash to shoot.

To the human eye, this was a perfect early evening, but to the less sensitive camera it was black as night.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I can't say I've noticed high shots. But I have noticed an inordinate number seem to have very long tracking jobs. I've had a long track with a bow (my first deer). Never had to "track" more than a minute when using a rifle (knock on wood).

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

Not to draw away from the horribleness of most hunting shows. But do you generally take your turkeys on the wing Vern?

Horribleness??? That's not even a word.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bellydeep
Requirements for a hunting show:

1) trust fund
2) IQ not to exceed 90
3) tacticool gear

You forgot blonde hair and big bazoobas!

What fresh Hell is this?
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Pappy348
You forgot blonde hair and big bazoobas!

May not be intentional but it does appear to be the normal format.

Most of those females are hard for me to stomach. There are a few exceptions.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Reloder28

Not to draw away from the horribleness of most hunting shows. But do you generally take your turkeys on the wing Vern?

Is now. Bet you'll think of it every time some Gomer is whispering into the camera 30 seconds after he's discharged a high powered rifle at a deer eating corn.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I think the shows do.. I mean today folks are bored. They demand action.

Shoot a deer in the lungs that runs off, folks will be bored. No one can high five and fist pump themselves off...

They want a spectacular impact and the bullet "knocking" the game off its feet to brag about.

Caveat.. its been years, but after I was involved with filming a turkey hunt for a big name show, I"ve basically not watched much of any other than a part now and then while flipping channels... of any hunting show.

They make my gut wrench with what and how they do and what all they fake and edit...they are a scripted reality show basically... puke....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Just hate " the outer limits " [bleep] always present the worst example of LRH. No buget limits and thats what you get. Target shooting not hunting. JMO

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
well now, nothign wrong with long range hunting, but shows just generally suck all the way around.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Guess I'm glad I don't watch TV.

Mathew 22: 37-39

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by Reloder28

Is now. Bet you'll think of it every time some Gomer is whispering into the camera 30 seconds after he's discharged a high powered rifle at a deer eating corn.

laugh grin

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by Partsman
Originally Posted by VernAK
Their forte is groundsluicing turkeys with a shotgun so I wouldn't expect much more.

As God is my witness, I thought they could fly. grin

Bahahaha! Had to revisit that episode on youtube.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

414 members (14idaho, 10gaugemag, 16gage, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 160user, 50 invisible), 2,286 guests, and 1,284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,989
Posts18,481,059
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.