Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
buckstix -

That's interesting. After so many yrs and being so used to cock on open, I would have thot it better than cock on close.

Learn sumpin knew everyday. <G>

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've had a P-14 and two p-17's . I converted two to cock on open. I feel that I made a mistake doing so and would not do it again. Others wanted those actions badly and I figured I'd start over on another.

As I recall there was supposedly another advantage, a better trigger perhaps? It was a few years ago and I honestly don't remember. But I believe the 14 and 17 are best left as is.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Looks like a modified Enfield action.

If it could just talk...

Nice find.

DF

looks like a P-14 action form the action/safety.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
hello Bugger,

Thanks for the reply.

The trigger pull is actually very good. Its the standard 2-stage trigger at about 4 pounds. Perfect for a Dangerous Game rifle.

Originally Posted by buckstix
Detail examination shows that this rifle was originally a P-14 Eddystone.

Hello djs.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, an Eddystone, based on markings found on the action.

You never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by djs
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Looks like a modified Enfield action.

If it could just talk...

Nice find.

DF

looks like a P-14 action form the action/safety.

Hello dgs,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, its built on a P-14 action. I wrote C&H and obtained a Factory Letter on the rifle.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
here is how it looked on the table at SCI

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I kept the cock on closing feature on my 9.3x62 Enfield for the same reasons. It is reliable and when operated fast from the shoulder as intended one never notices the difference.

[Linked Image]

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by buckstix
Hello Huntz,

Thanks for the reply.

No, the bolt was left "cock-on-close". I was told that many PH's liked the P-14's left that way because if you kept the rifle on your shoulder while working the bolt to chamber another round, it was much easier to "push" the bolt forward against the spring tension. Pushing "palm-forward" with the outstretched arm was a more natural action.

However, on rilfes modified to "cock-on-open" you would have your hand "palm-up" on the outstretched arm in an awkward lifting position trying to lift-up against the spring tension.

I have other P-14's modified to "cock-on-open" and I've tried it both ways. I found it true that it is much faster and easier to rapidly aim and work the action while keeping the rifle against your shoulder.

I suppose that this varient of a working rifle that found its way into the hands of Game Department shooters, was used for fast shooting when culling big game animals.

I find cock on opening slightly more difficult to work fast from the shoulder. When opening a cock on opening setup, you are fighting to keep the rifle from turning in your hands whereas cock on closing you don't have that and are pushing toward the target when closing, which is more natural to me. Never have understood why people convert Enfields to cock on opening.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hello DesertMuleDeer,

Thanks for the reply.

I feel the same way, and for the reasons you mention, I have converted several of my hunting rifles back to cock-on-close.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

528 members (1OntarioJim, 219 Wasp, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1Longbow, 41 invisible), 2,319 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,334
Posts18,526,746
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.