Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S

OK... If ED glass is literally only the coatings, I can understand that those are rare earth metals being applied...

BUT - what the frick... It costs 600-1k extra to get those coats.. I'm starting to think we are getting screwed somehow...

Pricing seems to be out of line to me.

GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
As long as people are willing to pay the price, why would a manufacturer lower it.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

OK... If ED glass is literally only the coatings, I can understand that those are rare earth metals being applied...

BUT - what the frick... It costs 600-1k extra to get those coats.. I'm starting to think we are getting screwed somehow...

Pricing seems to be out of line to me.

ED or Hd ...Hd is fluorite glass

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Other way around. HD can mean whatever the maker wants.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Other way around. HD can mean whatever the maker wants.

Correct

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
It's not necessarily the glass itself that increases the cost, as the glass is not really that expensive. Flourite glass is brittle, cracks easily, and is hard to work with. The result is more waste, extra machine time and labor, etc.

There is no standard in the optics industry about what 'HD' means, so it really means nothing.

I hunt, therefore I am.
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
ED = Extra low dispersion ... IIRC

Which is generally more about more coatings....

It doesn't mean it's put together by craftsman anymore either, it just means they used multiple coatings in the correct order as to not disperse light.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
the truth is you don't have to keep reaching for the latest gimmickry....your 10/15 year old scope is just fine...probably better build quality than the new stuff ..the rest is just advertising hype to separate you from your money...

gunut
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
ED = Extra low dispersion ... IIRC

Which is generally more about more coatings....

It doesn't mean it's put together by craftsman anymore either, it just means they used multiple coatings in the correct order as to not disperse light.

The first part is correct, ED is extra low dispersion. This refers to the bulk lens materials ability to focus different colors on the same focal plane preventing chromatic aberration. It does not mean coatings.
ED lenses are made of expensive grown crystals that are more delicate than most other lens materials, They need to be mounted without mechanical stress so that also cost more.
The order of the coatings are to reduce reflection of the incoming light. The coatings are too thin to appreciably shift colors.
For the most part, ED glass is a good buy and worth the expense.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In the past quality glass often contained lead.
A good example would be the Zeiss 10X56B T*P Night Owls.
They were heavy--I know--I packed a set on several sheep and goat hunts. The view was killer, but their weight was brutal.
Lead has been removed from the manufacturing process due to the hazards involved. The end result is the advent of flourite glass. Lighter, but as was mentioned prior, difficult to handle and manufacture.

"HD" means nothing practically speaking if the glass isn't manufactured with flourite-flourine ions etc., and an intricate coating process.
There is sleeper glass out there like Minox that utilizes flourite and quality coating processes at a lower cost.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by broomd
In the past quality glass often contained lead.
A good example would be the Zeiss 10X56B T*P Night Owls.
They were heavy--I know--I packed a set on several sheep and goat hunts. The view was killer, but their weight was brutal.
Lead has been removed from the manufacturing process due to the hazards involved. The end result is the advent of flourite glass. Lighter, but as was mentioned prior, difficult to handle and manufacture.

"HD" means nothing practically speaking if the glass isn't manufactured with flourite-flourine ions etc., and an intricate coating process.
There is sleeper glass out there like Minox that utilizes flourite and quality coating processes at a lower cost.

Lead was eliminated due to environmental regulations in the European Union. Lead would make the lens more dense and help reduce chromatic aberration.
http://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1149536

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
That's why China can produce quality lenses at reduced cost. They don't have environmental regulations to deal with.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
W
WRO Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by doubletap
That's why China can produce quality lenses at reduced cost. They don't have environmental regulations to deal with.

The Chinese lenses as a general rule range somewhere between kinda [bleep], and complete dog [bleep].

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"New and Improved" means whatever the manufacturer wants it to mean; and, generally speaking, means a higher cost to the consumer. Companies do, and should, charge what the market will bare. So as to not sound like some hypocrite, I do want to buy $2,000 scopes for $300.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by WRO

The Chinese lenses as a general rule range somewhere between kinda [bleep], and complete dog [bleep].

You could not be more wrong.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
More wrong? Wrong is an absolute...

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
*Marvin Simkin* L.A. Times (1992)
W
WRO Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by WRO

You could not be more wrong.

Name a Chinese Sport optic lense that is as good as a Zeiss HT, Swaro EL, or Leica Ultravid.

The only asian glass I've looked through that impressed me was a Kowa Promiar, and they are Japaneese..

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
WRO- are you saying that ONLY Zeiss HT, Swaro EL and Leica Ultra are good and EVERYTHING else is dogchit? That's what your post says! There is some amazingly good Chinese optics out there. They don't generally have the fit and finish of the better European stuff but they do have some optically good stuff.

As far as HD, ED and Fluorite. Most can mean whatever they want it to mean. True Fluorite crystals were developed for camera lenses and were tough to work with. They were better. Now, almost all "Alpha" glass is just glass but denser, high quality glass. Coatings have improved to help with the glass itself.

Lead did not make your binoculars heavy. Lead was removed as it was hazardous to use in manufacturing and problematic in disposal. I have some very heavy binoculars and they are simply more robust than others. Some would call it overkill.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

W
WRO Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
WRO- are you saying that ONLY Zeiss HT, Swaro EL and Leica Ultra are good and EVERYTHING else is dogchit? That's what your post says! There is some amazingly good Chinese optics out there. They don't generally have the fit and finish of the better European stuff but they do have some optically good stuff.

As far as HD, ED and Fluorite. Most can mean whatever they want it to mean. True Fluorite crystals were developed for camera lenses and were tough to work with. They were better. Now, almost all "Alpha" glass is just glass but denser, high quality glass. Coatings have improved to help with the glass itself.

Lead did not make your binoculars heavy. Lead was removed as it was hazardous to use in manufacturing and problematic in disposal. I have some very heavy binoculars and they are simply more robust than others. Some would call it overkill.

Pretty much, if it isn't schott from germany, its all the same [bleep], different package.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
You still couldn't be more wrong.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 66 invisible), 2,525 guests, and 1,156 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,808
Posts18,477,556
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.