Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'm going to be adding on a two car garage soon and need to iron out the details pretty quick. Here's what I've got so far, I'm wide open for advice. I don't mind adding small things here and there if they'll really be useful, but little things add up to big money so I want to try and keep this under control too.

It's 21'6" deep (I can go a little deeper if I want, but that should fit any truck I'll ever buy) and 26'6" wide. The dimensions are a little odd, but it's connected to the house and there'll be a room above it so the size of the garage was dictated by that. 9' ceilings

There'll be 18' X 8' garage doors on opposing walls. That'll let me pull straight through into the backyard if I want, raise them both for airflow, or access the garage from the backyard without worrying about neighbor kids wandering in or my dog getting out. It'll cut down on wall space available for shelves and work benches, but for what we want to do with the space I think it'll be worth the trade off.

Wall outlets at 4'ish high so they'll be above a workbench and above workbench stuff.

There's a bathroom that shares one wall and I think I'll add a free standing outdoor sink (just tied in to the water and drain lines for the bathroom). The kitchen is only a few steps away from the garage door (it's attached to the main house) so I'm not set on a sink yet.

Lots of lights....For a shop this size how many / what size lights do y'all recommend? Like I said, there's a room above this so wiring for lights would be much easier now that later.

I don't weld, don't plan on starting, and have never needed a 220 outlet before. But if y'all can give me a reason to need one I don't mind adding that.

I'm thinking of putting an outlet in one or two ceiling corners to mount fans (to save floor space on a large rolling fan).

Is there anything else I'm not thinking of?

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
LED fluorescent type lighting.

What about air?

I would install one 220 outlet for just in case.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
No air. It never gets too cold (not cold enough that a few propane heaters can't fix) and I couldn't afford to cool it.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
What are you going to use the shop/garage for? I would put in 220v for an air compressor/welder. Ya just never know.

Only a dingleberry, not yet a Turdlike person, maybe someday!!!
Originally Posted by northern_dave
I am happier than a retard in a room full of bouncy balls right now!!

Joe.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
build it bigger!

i know you have constraints..just echoing the usual complaint.

my garage is attached to the house, right next to the kitchen. i have a sink in the garage. some of the things you'll do in a garage sink, your wife will kill you if you do them in the kitchen sink!

lots of electrical outlets, on the outside as well!

can you build a 2 story garage?

ked

Last edited by keith_dunlap; 03/06/16.

if a man speaks, and there isn't a woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A 220 V compressor will cost half as much to run as 110, if a stationary compressor is in the works.

Last edited by weaselsRus; 03/06/16.

Eagles may soar, but a weasel never got sucked into a jet turbine!
M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
I meant meant compressed air, but AC is nice in South Louisiana.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
I second the 240 volt for the air compressor.

Also. 21'-6" is too shallow. You need 24' minimum for your depth.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Phone and Internet, water?

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My pickup is 23' long. Even a 24' shop isn't long enough to get it in to work on it.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Would help to know what you plan to do besides not weld. Just for starters, if you are going to do woodworking have 220.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Don't count on never welding. I used to think that, too. I'm not even close to being good at it, but you'd be surprised at what you'll want to do when you get a good shop to do it in.

It costs very little to run a circuit for a welder even though you don't plan to use it. Just call it insurance.

― George Orwell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
On this house I went with a 4 car garage, the center bay is a tandem. I expect I'll always have at least one 1/2 ton pickup, and it sure is nice having the room to get in front of the vehicle. So I'd go as long as possible on the garage. Who knows, maybe the next guy you sell it to will have a boat or a even bigger truck, and the extra length will help close the deal.

Ditto the 220V outlets - I got two of them added; I haven't used them yet, but at some point I'll get a bigger air compressor or table saw that needs them, and it will be a fine deal at that point.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Floor drains so wet vehicle's wont leave puddles that always run and make a mess

And make sure the pad slopes into the drains

I hate 8 ft tall garage doors....too short

My shop is 30x40.....I wish I'd have used vaulted trusses to gain ceiling hight

I recommend that you re-think your two 18 foot doors that are on opposite sides unless you consult an engineer.....catastrophic collapse as the building will break in the middle with any snow or ice load

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd rethink the size of the second door just to gain wall space.

National Rifle Association - Patron Member
National Muzzleloading Rifle Association - Life Member and 1 of 1000
Illinois State Rifle Association - Life Member
Carlinville Rifle & Pistol Club
~ Molɔ̀ːn Labé ~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I recommend that you re-think your two 18 foot doors that are on opposite sides unless you consult an engineer.....catastrophic collapse as the building will break in the middle with any snow or ice load
He's in Texas. grin

― George Orwell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Then bless his heart and I wish him the best of luck and hope he doesn't finish his ceilings or add any weight unless he has supper engineered headers

Goose luck

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Blue...didn't know about this site before my last 2 builds, wish I did. Everything you need to know with great examples/discussion/pics can be found in this forum.

Garage Journal

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
I second the 240 volt for the air compressor.

Also. 21'-6" is too shallow. You need 24' minimum for your depth.

This. 26' would be even better. There is NEVER enough garage space.

Electrical outlets everywhere. There are never too many outlets.

Last edited by jnyork; 03/06/16.

[Linked Image]
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Bluedreaux,

What kind of construction for the garage:
Concrete block or wood stud and drywall ?

Will your electric be concealed inside the walls, or in conduit that is mounted on the surface of the walls ?
IMO, the best, but not prettiest, is exposed conduit so you can easily re-route circuits if needed.

The best way to do the electric, is to run a feed cable from the house main panel to a 220 volt sub-panel (breaker box) in the garage and supply everything electric in the garage from that panel.
That way you can easily get a 220 volt outlet and 110 volts from the two 'hots' to neutral connectors. If you pop a circuit breaker in the garage, you just re-set it in the sub panel. Saves a trip into the house and down the basement with muddy shoes.

You probably will have a building code problem with a floor drain. I think most places won't allow it if they find out.
An alternative is to slope the garaqe floor slightly toward the driveway and let any water out under the door.

Myron

How many peckers can a Pecker Checker check if a Pecker Checker could check peckers?
(stolen from shootinurse)
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

199 members (160user, 257 mag, 12344mag, 2500HD, 10Glocks, 35, 20 invisible), 1,820 guests, and 1,047 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,558
Posts18,510,463
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.