Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Originally Posted by RJM

5" 57...

[Linked Image]

SAY WHAT????

There was a 5" M57? or was it modified by a gunsmith?

Just gotta know where to look Tex.... cool

It is pretty easy figuring the H110... Get a dowel just a little smaller than the diameter of the inside of the .41 case. Then stand a bullet on a flat surface and stand the dowel next to it. Mark the dowel with a pencil at the top of the crimping groove. Slowly fill the case with powder and when it about eyeballs where you think it should be slowly drop the dowel down on top of the powder and see where your crimp line is. Once you get the desired level put the charge on a scale and see what it weighs. Then compare what you have in the pan and see what the loading manuals say. Back off a couple of grains and work up to your 100% volume load.

I would not use pure lead for any cast load...you are really going to lead up your barrel. The above bullets are just a mix of wheelweights, range scrap and some Linotype...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
GB1

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
The MeHic 180 is one of my favorite .41 molds...

Solid 180...Pentapoint 178...Small HP 177...Large HP 170

[Linked Image]

Large HP and PentaPoint in the mid 1300s...

[Linked Image]

Now my official bullet with 14.0 grains of Blue Dot for the Freedom Arms 97/4.25" and also load them in .41 Special cases with 8.0 grains of Unique. Run 1130 fps in a 4" Taurus Tracker...

180 C.O.P at 1080 fps and the Large HP at 1300.

[Linked Image]

.41 Magnum COP and a .41 Special 170 Large HP in a short cylinder Tracker...

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
bob:
I bought a couple boxes of those cop bullets but haven't fired them yet. I really like those wings.
when i was loading today i was looking at two boxes, 30 count per box of the barnes solid copper. Too cheap yet to load them up, they are not cheap. But that cop looks a lot like what the barnes is suppose to look like.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
That was a C.O.P. factory load...very mild to say the least. Great for the Tracker and AirLite Smiths...

I have one box of the Barnes also...and they are too expensive to mess with...

Bob

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by RJM
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Originally Posted by RJM

5" 57...

[Linked Image]

SAY WHAT????

There was a 5" M57? or was it modified by a gunsmith?

Just gotta know where to look Tex.... cool

It is pretty easy figuring the H110... Get a dowel just a little smaller than the diameter of the inside of the .41 case. Then stand a bullet on a flat surface and stand the dowel next to it. Mark the dowel with a pencil at the top of the crimping groove. Slowly fill the case with powder and when it about eyeballs where you think it should be slowly drop the dowel down on top of the powder and see where your crimp line is. Once you get the desired level put the charge on a scale and see what it weighs. Then compare what you have in the pan and see what the loading manuals say. Back off a couple of grains and work up to your 100% volume load.

I would not use pure lead for any cast load...you are really going to lead up your barrel. The above bullets are just a mix of wheelweights, range scrap and some Linotype...

Bob

That makes perfect sense, thank you! I knew it wouldn't be difficult, but couldn't wrap my brain around it.

As for lead (which I know was another person's question), I have a few hundred lbs of pure or nearly pure lead (x-ray room shielding). That I guard very closely and will use ONLY for round balls for my flintlock. I have WW lead to use for bullets, and I also got close to 500 220gr hard cast with my 57 when I bought it, so I also will not run pure/soft lead through mine.

I love these bullet tests, as I was thinking of getting some XTP's for my gun, and I still might, but I loaded the cast up for hunting loads. Haven't pulled the trigger on anything yet, but I figured (and the jug testing confirms it) that stopping them will take more than a whitetail at handgun ranges.

IC B2

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by RJM
Have to agree with shrapnel...out past 50 yards most handgun bullets become nothing more than a hole punch...but since most of my deer shooting is under 50 yards it is interesting to play with home cast HPs...

tdd...I have a simple formula for H110 powder...fill the case till the bullet just rests on the top of the powder charge. Gets the lowest Standard Deviation, best accuracy and highest safe velocity...works for jacketed and cast. A Cast Performance 255 LBT will take 22.0 grains and get mid-1400s. A 250 CP LBT has a longer shank and shorter nose and will only take 20 grains of powder... And when shot out of my S&W revolvers the cases all eject smoothly... I would not do it with a .45 Colt but works fine in any of the Magnums...

Ron...any MeHic mold you are looking for send him PM over on the CastBoolit forums...he often has over-runs for sale. I've bought two from him that way.

Did a bunch of selling and trading last month... Finally decided I just didn't want to shoot the 357PD and 357NG anymore and sold them both...they were just unpleasant to shoot with the grips that fit my hand. Then picked up a 8 3/8" Model 57 made in 1964 to complete my collection of First Year of Production guns...so I sold off a 657 8 3/8" that I hardly ever shot and it brought almost as much as I paid for the 57...so it has been a good year...

58, 4" 57, 5" 57, 6" 57 with new 8 3/8" 57...

[Linked Image]

That's quite a photo!

Retired cat herder.

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
yesterday i loaded some sierra 170grain hollow points laying around for a long time. With 21grains of 2400. I was kind of surprised how much that filled the case. I think people often think of this caliber as just a 210grain gun. Where in reality if you handload, you can go from 170 to 300grain.
That's quite a range. I had a guy i know email about selling the nickel gun in the picture. I told him no, but if you have other .41's to sell, let me know and i will put you in contact with him.
And i got to thinking. i have a smith 45colt with the 8inch barrel. It puts a different perspective on that caliber.
Have you chrony'd any loads through a 41 with the 8inch tube?

Last edited by RoninPhx; 03/07/16.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Ron..the 170 Sierra...

26.0 H110

5.5" Ruger Redhawk......1536

6.5" Ruger Blackhawk....1650

10" TC Contender.......1875

14" TC Contender.......1980

20" Marlin 1894........2100

Looking through my notes I have never chronographed an 8 3/8"..

Bob

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
....and Tex...just pullin' ya leg...

A factory trained Smith smith took a badly rusted 1964 57 6" I found cheap and cut the barrel.

[Linked Image]

He was able to make it look as factory as it gets...

[Linked Image]

Is a great shooter.

[Linked Image]

I always admired the Model 29 5" guns that H. H. Harris had made up and wanted one in .41...there is ONE factory 57 5" that was made up in their tool room for a special order...it is nickel and now resides in the collection of Doc44 over on the S&W Forums..

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
Rjm
another project with the 41, i dug a box of the sierra 170 grain JHC hollowpoints out of the stash.
I was looking at 2400 at 21.2 to 21.6 for between 1400 and 1450fps. Have you ever used any of these?
i read long time ago somebody loading these to pop cast iron frying pans with. Supposedly really shatters them.
Got to find out.

Ron,

A few years back I posted with photos about shooting down into the top of a 55 gallon drum full of water to test some 41 bullets. Included were 170 Sierra, 210 XTP, and the 210 Berry's. 7.5 inch SBH @ point blank range.

The 170 Sierra with a top load shed its core every time, but retained most of its weight. Bob had told me that it is a good hunting bullet. My results agreed with that.

The only time I ever drew blood with the 170 Sieera was on a large feral lab retriever harrassing my cows. From the Marlin at fifty yards, it did the job. But like a typical heart shot deer, the dog ran about 100 yds before falling over.

If you want to know more, I can dig through my notes. Or perhaps I can find the original post (if the search function goes back that far).

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't get into it as deeply as you fellas do, but I shoot 210gr RNFP hard cast over a full load of trail boss.

I added a 3 screw Blackhawk to the collection a couple months back and finally took it out this weekend. I started out shooting at 1/2 gallon juice cans, then went to regular tin cans and finally, empty .22 boxes at 25 yards; nocking them down with regular rhythm.

I have been amazed at the ease of accuracy in every .41 I shoot.

Has anyone ever have a bad one?

The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Strider
I don't get into it as deeply as you fellas do, but I shoot 210gr RNFP hard cast over a full load of trail boss.

I added a 3 screw Blackhawk to the collection a couple months back and finally took it out this weekend. I started out shooting at 1/2 gallon juice cans, then went to regular tin cans and finally, empty .22 boxes at 25 yards; nocking them down with regular rhythm.

I have been amazed at the ease of accuracy in every .41 I shoot.

Has anyone ever have a bad one?

i just pretty much got through detailing out an early 70's three screw ruger, but haven't shot it yet.
I suppose it is possible to get a bad 41 but i haven't experienced it yet.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Strider, what velocity do you get with 210 gr and TB? Sounds like a perfect Cowboy load if it doesn't exceed 1,000 fps, and a great all-around carry load regardless.

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Holy Time Warp Batman!

It has been over ten years since I did these pics.

170 Sierra 1340 FPS w/ 10 gr Unique

[Linked Image]

w/ 23.5 gr H110

[Linked Image]

210 XTP 23.5 gr H110

[Linked Image]

210 XTP w/ 21 gr XTP 1390 fps

[Linked Image][/URL

[URL=http://s935.photobucket.com/user/cdwerner/media/41%20mag%20bullets%20001_zpszlkg3ez9.jpg.html][Linked Image]

210 Berry's w/ 7 gr Unique

[Linked Image]

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Tried some of the 180 solids in the Model 97 a couple of days ago....no complaints with the accuracy...recoil is very mild...just let one round get away from me...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The new front sight works very well...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I've been half tempted to buy a 41 Blackhawk with a 4-5/8 bbl and have my smith fit an aftermarket bisley Fram and fire control group to it..then have it cerakoted

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Holy Time Warp Batman!

It has been over ten years since I did these pics.

170 Sierra 1340 FPS w/ 10 gr Unique

[Linked Image]

w/ 23.5 gr H110

[Linked Image]

210 XTP 23.5 gr H110

[Linked Image]

210 XTP w/ 21 gr XTP 1390 fps

[Linked Image][/URL

[URL=http://s935.photobucket.com/user/cdwerner/media/41%20mag%20bullets%20001_zpszlkg3ez9.jpg.html][Linked Image]

210 Berry's w/ 7 gr Unique

[Linked Image]

I knew someone had beat me to the punch on that bullet. I loaded 50 of them with I think without looking 9grains of unique. I am going to have to recover some of them. I do like the way they opened up.
Little off topic but maybe not, was with a gunsmith friend of mine that tore apart a guide gun of mine to slick it up. Now i have other marlin's, including one in 41 and i saw exactly what to do and not to do on performing this slick it up operation. And a LONG discussion on the new remington builds and some of the problems with them. I think i would NOT buy any rem/marlin, and the marlin would have to have that JM on the side of the barrel.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 03/13/16.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Hogeye
Strider, what velocity do you get with 210 gr and TB? Sounds like a perfect Cowboy load if it doesn't exceed 1,000 fps, and a great all-around carry load regardless.

6.5 grains will run just under 1000 fps. You might have to drop a bit, depending on what you are shooting.

The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RoninPhx

I suppose it is possible to get a bad 41 but i haven't experienced it yet.

Maybe it's just the frames we most typically find it in.

I can't complain about any BH I have shot, nor a S&W for that matter.

There must be some grade b revolver out there with a 2" barrel that shoots it poorly... maybe.

Samuel Adams

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What load with unique or bullseye would provide 900 fps with the 170

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (16gage, 160user, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 12344mag, 73 invisible), 3,106 guests, and 1,376 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,751
Posts18,476,255
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.