Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Lobo80 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I have drawers full of holsters, it seems that I have several for every gun I own.

These came in the mail today. The two on the left are from Lobo Leather, an enhanced pancake and a IWB belt loop style for my S&W mod 66. The one on the right is from Gary C's Leather for my Ruger 1911

Maybe it's because I'm a lefty that I feel the need to have more holsters than I need. Anyone else have this problem?

[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I could use a few more lefty holsters right now. Make sure you have a few righties. wink

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Nope. I have one for each revolver I carry. For some, no.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I was going to be stupid and say I just have one, a Crossbreed knockoff that I use for daily carry. Then I got a sudden picture in my mind of the shoulder holster that came with my revolver, then another picture in my mind of the other one that came with that other revolver. Then there's the one that came with that black powder revolver, then there's the unclemike's shoulder rig that....you know I have no idea where that one came from. Does that belly band in the back of my sock drawer count? Oh! I almost forgot about the one that fits my late uncle's old H&R 949 snubby.... I guess that's how many I, personally, need. For right now.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I have more handguns than I do holsters and I don't have a lot of handguns.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B2

Lobo80 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Here's a few more that I have

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I think they're like bras and for reasons I don't understand, it seems if you need them at all, you need more than one.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
I like that paddle holster! also being a lefty harder to find holsters I like old leather ones, but tend to be a bit cheaper when I do!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I like holsters... I gave up trying to understand it. I may have 3+ to fit one particular individual handgun.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Buy the time I'm done with a handgun I've collected 2 or 3 holsters for it. When I used to sell my guns (I no longer part with any firearms*), the holsters never went with the handguns. I've got a large box full of leather holsters, Kydex holsters and leather gun belts dating back to 1982.

*Except the Gary Reeder S&W 500 Magnum, that I'm TRYING to sell, that I have a feeling I will never sell, and it will be given to my son or daughter when I pass.

IC B3

Lobo80 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
saddlering said, (Hi buddy, it's me..Ron)

I like that paddle holster! also being a lefty harder to find holsters I like old leather ones, but tend to be a bit cheaper when I do

I got lucky and found this on line that would accommodate my Beretta PX4 Storm with the laser/light on the rail. ....and it's Left Hand shocked

[Linked Image]

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Need? Probably one per EDC. But holsters are like clothing - depends on conditions. So a few holsters/EDC allows for some flexibility.

I still lean towards well-fitting leather in strongside IWB configurations. smile

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For a CCW gun that gets carried a lot, I need an IWB holster for sure and, usually, an OWB holster. I also may have some “administrative holsters” for things like nightstands. For a pocket gun, it needs a pocket holster and may or may not need an IWB and/or OWB holster. Most limited purpose guns only need one holster suited to the purpose.

The problem for me is that finding the holster that fits my particular needs usually involves some experimentation. It has taken a long time to figure out what works best generally for particular types of guns, so I have a lot of holsters that never will be used again.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Only in the last year have I bought holsters for my handguns.

I'm a bit nervous about buying holsters as I'm still new when it come to buying holster, I like leather ones, and worried that I'll go through an expensive trial and error finding what I like then being stuck with several holsters that will sit collecting dust in some drawer.

Am also left handed which limits me in trying to sell them too. Which I'm discovering there isn't a big demand for used holsters.

Lobo80 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
For a CCW gun that gets carried a lot, I need an IWB holster for sure and, usually, an OWB holster. I also may have some “administrative holsters” for things like nightstands. For a pocket gun, it needs a pocket holster and may or may not need an IWB and/or OWB holster. Most limited purpose guns only need one holster suited to the purpose.

The problem for me is that finding the holster that fits my particular needs usually involves some experimentation. It has taken a long time to figure out what works best generally for particular types of guns, so I have a lot of holsters that never will be used again.

Cheyenne, I think you nailed it. wink

as many as it takes till ya get it right. iwb, owb shoulder, pocket, 3-4 tries each........?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So, I'm going to expound on what I hinted at above.

If you carry a handgun, you should have at least two holsters of your favorite design for at least one (your most carried) gun - one left-hand and one right-hand. Same for any alternate option you are likely to use. If you don't already have both, you should see to fixing this now - before it becomes an issue.

You never know when you might lose (temporarily or otherwise) the use of your strong hand. As with other things - best to prepare in advance. Everything else is gravy.

I had that covered.....barely, and for only one gun.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have purged my leather collection a couple of times, but I still have around a dozen holsters. At a minimum, I need one holster for every handgun I own. Most of my guns get carried, even my BBQ gun goes on CCW duty regularly. I have strong preference for IWB, my favorite being a custom COM III from HBE Leatherworks; that's my first choice go to hoslter. After that I tend to wear my Milt Sparks VM II, Mitch Rosen ARG, and I have a El Paso Saddlry C-Force on the way (Rosen ARG knock off).

I've been kicking around getting a CZ P01 to replace my LW Commander as my primary CCW gun. If I do that I'll be putting in another order for a HBE Com III post-haste.

Here's my favorite; HBE Com III
[Linked Image]

Last edited by GunGeek; 03/22/16.
U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
I seem to "need" one more holster than I have.

As a bare minimum I usually have a good leather belt holster for my most favored handguns, a paddle holster for those I grab for any spur of the moment walk around the property, and an IWB for those I use for carry. I also have an equipment/duty belt with a holster capable of handling my bedside gun with weapon light.

Then there are a few "multi-use" nylon holsters for those pistols that are not carried very often but still make it out the safe. That is a half dozen in various sizes to encompass revolvers and semi-autos. These aren't really fitted but they get the job done. A couple of shoulder rigs/bandoleers for scoped hunting pistols rounds out the mix.

Oh, and as previously mentioned, at least one weak side holster for carry purposes. I have a "universal" slide that I picked up when I had surgery on my strong hand. For the couple of weeks I did not have use of my strong hand I felt that was sufficient. I might have to pick up a dedicated off side holster in the near future. I mostly have what I need for the strong side.

Holsters are like Lays Potato Chips- you can't have just one...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Lobo80
How many holsters do you need?

What a silly question.........almost as silly as asking how many gun you "need". wink

MM

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

513 members (1badf350, 219DW, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1lessdog, 51 invisible), 2,279 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,287
Posts18,505,178
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.