Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#11093751 04/03/16
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Is it normal to be considered a suspect when talking to these folks?

The reason I ask; I stopped by the station in Fairbanks to offer them the no-strings-attached use of one of my sleds if they needed such a thing during Arctic Man. The trooper I talked to never asked for details, never looked at the sled I brought along; all he wanted was my driver license, and then he disappeared to talk to his superiors.

Overall a pretty lame performance IMO, or am I just an ordinary disgruntled Alaskan citizen who is acting butt-hurt?

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
With the AK State Troopers, yes, you are a suspect for existing unfortunately.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Why would you offer up one of your sleds when the troopers have plenty of their own?? Seems like a nice offer but may come across as a bit odd...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What was his story upon returning from talking with said superiors?

It's not the destination...
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
He said they didn't want to expose the State to any liability for their use. Could mean a couple of things I suppose. I'm cool with that; being turned down was in the realm of expectation.

Originally Posted by Mjm316
Why would you offer up one of your sleds when the troopers have plenty of their own?? Seems like a nice offer but may come across as a bit odd...

I have no idea what they have. I would assume they probably might have a few plastic moose hide sleds which are hardly ideal, especially if they needed to haul a an injured person. What did seem odd was that he needed to see ID without actually defining what my offer was. If they had what they need and are fully equipped, who I am is irrelevant, I would think.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Your papers please

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Sieg Heil! laugh

It's probably nothing. It just seems like every time I turn something over to them -evidence they need against some punk generally- that's the last I see or hear of the issue, and the item of property. And then they substitute suspicion for gratitude. And they wonder why they get attitude from people so often. whistle

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Sieg Heil! laugh

It's probably nothing. It just seems like every time I turn something over to them -evidence they need against some punk generally- that's the last I see or hear of the issue, and the item of property. And then they substitute suspicion for gratitude. And they wonder why they get attitude from people so often. whistle

You have been assimilated.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ironbender

You have been assimilated.

This is >>> mad <<< my "Assimilated Pride" face

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
um...thank you?!

smile

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I got asked for my hunting license while working on my 6 wheeler on a pullout near Tok 2 years ago he wrote down my info? Kinda thought great now I am a suspect. Can they ask for a hunting or fishing license if you are in the area and not actively hunting or fishing?

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Sure they can ask.

You are free to tell them to GFY if you are not hunting.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Welcome to the new Alaska

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They've recruited quit a few L48ers and they bring their DSMF attitudes up with them.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Certainly, it doesn't take many to poison the well. I just wish the high honchos understood and communicated that - and didn't put up with the shenanigans that it involves. I might have sent one of those 'high honchos' my thoughts on the matter. It just seems like we should all have the same goals. The news kept saying the Troopers might not have a presence at Arctic Man due to monetary issues this year. I though, "Heck, I'll at least make an offer that won't cost them a thing." And the best they could do was kick dirt at me? WTF?

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by FishinHank
Welcome to the new Alaska

Spending the school year in Fairbanks has certainly turned my view of Alaska upside down as it is. I just hate getting more and more confirmations of it.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by ironbender
Sure they can ask.

You are free to tell them to GFY if you are not hunting.

This.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
He said they didn't want to expose the State to any liability for their use. Could mean a couple of things I suppose. I'm cool with that; being turned down was in the realm of expectation.

Originally Posted by Mjm316

I have no idea what they have. I would assume they probably might have a few plastic moose hide sleds which are hardly ideal, especially if they needed to haul a an injured person. What did seem odd was that he needed to see ID without actually defining what my offer was. If they had what they need and are fully equipped, who I am is irrelevant, I would think.

Ahh I was thinking sleds as in a snow machine not a pull behind sled. Thanks for the clarification

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
About half of them in FAI are in training and will run info for warrants just because they are training. The older fellows like Piscoya or Hildebrand would probably take you up on your offer.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
And cops wonder why there is a prevalent "us against them" attitude in this country. They perpetuate the negativity and distrust as much as the criminals do. All us upstanding, law abiding citizens are caught in the middle. We don't hate the cops but we realize that they don't like us. Too bad and at some point they'll wish they hadn't alienated us; they'll need us but we won't need them...

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

68 members (anothergun, 6MMWASP, BB3, ar33c9, 7mm_Loco, 10Glocks, 7 invisible), 1,396 guests, and 794 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,977
Posts18,499,524
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.