Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I've NEVER had a good brown shirt experience and I've had my fair share of them. They've always been wrong, just as they always wanted to act tough.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
A shame to hear that on the brown shirts. Here locally, I"ve had very few negative game warden contacts, and very few negative LEO contacts, but I think the times are changing here too...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I could tell you story after story of the idiot brown shirt encounters.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Thats a shame to hear.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I may not be a Sour Dough, having only been here since '65,
But I have had my fair share of run ins, with both the brown shirts, and blue. IMO, yes, some can be arrogant, self importants jerks, but for the most part, I have found the majority to be very proffesional and all around "Good Guys". Some do abide by thier interpitation of "The letter of the Law", while others tend to understand that to error is human!

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Only ones I"ve run into, have been retired, both great guys!

We did make a mistake and run a red light in ANC... those guys were super about it, I could care less if they wrote it, it was my fault. They did not.

But we sure might be heading towards worse over all...

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
So... is everyone that has a truly bad experience calling the troopers to let them know they've got (at the minimum) an idiot out there with a gun writing tickets? I'm not talking about Klik's encounter necessarily, I'm talking about incorrect enforcement of the law.

I'm certainly not, and that is something that needs to change.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
I know many criminals are stupid and all, but give 'em a break! That would take the cake if a fool made an offer than would benefit them in no way, yet exposed them selves to the risk of being caught.

I'm sure that's exactly what they (him) were counting on.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
By reading the comments, so far, I am lead to believe my encounters with the Alaska State Troopers are the exceptions to the rule. I have never had a bad encounter with a Trooper, and I've been checked in the field via pick-up truck, snowmachine, 4-wheeler, boat, helicopter, and float plane.

I have heard several 1st-person accounts of very negative interactions with the troopers, from close friends of mine, so I do believe they happen. I have just been lucky, I guess.

Thoroughly enjoying Alaska since 2001.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
It has pretty much become universal procedure everywhere to "Identify everyone" before conducting any further conversation of any kind period.

Unfortunately this policy may actually be preventing some very serious crimes from being reported.

When I no longer have the right to protect my own person or property...my person and property have become public property in common.
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by DanInAlaska
By reading the comments, so far, I am lead to believe my encounters with the Alaska State Troopers are the exceptions to the rule. I have never had a bad encounter with a Trooper, and I've been checked in the field via pick-up truck, snowmachine, 4-wheeler, boat, helicopter, and float plane.

I have heard several 1st-person accounts of very negative interactions with the troopers, from close friends of mine, so I do believe they happen. I have just been lucky, I guess.

Just like some stops of any kind, get off on whatever footing the person stopped says first... there are also AH's in every trade.

I try to always be very polite, just like I would to anyone I meet...I"ve had very few negative encounters with LEO overall wherever I've been. But I sure have had a couple that were guilty until proven innocent. And one where the warden was wrong, and I called his supervisor to let him know. He was writing a ticket until I mentioned his boss by name. And that his boss had said it was legal.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by las
A further thought - how embarrassing would it be for the cops to take someone up on an offer, only to find he had a rap sheet a leg long, or the piece of equipment had been reported stolen...., but I agree fully with bigwhoop.

Definately not handled well.

even a polite explanation of why would be beneficial imo

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rost495

I try to always be very polite, just like I would to anyone I meet...

That's always been my way too, and that is why I handed him the license on request. It was when he took it and walked through the doors that it occurred to me that he was possibly going to run my name. There's nothing I have to worry about, so that doesn't bother me, but the idea any ordinary person's ID should be run, does. If I want that, I'll go to the airport; and I avoid those places as much as I possibly can.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
It was when he took it and walked through the doors that it occurred to me that he was possibly going to run my name. There's nothing I have to worry about, so that doesn't bother me, but the idea any ordinary person's ID should be run, does.

"but the idea any every ordinary person's ID should be run, does"

Hope you don't mind me adjusting your statement because I have had many similar experiences while trying to be a law abiding "upstanding Citizen" and help out law enforcement.

As a Minister it is very offensive to immediately be suspected and treated as a "guilty criminal" or "accomplice" right out of the box. Because of this I now very seldom go out of my way to "do my duty" as a law abiding Citizen.

Everyone is a suspect, Everyone is guilty, Everyone is a Criminal and they just haven't been caught yet. And it is the "Duty" of every Officer to be the first to catch them.

Seriously..."Innocent until proven Guilty" is the absolute extreme opposite of the true current mindset. The current MO is to process as many "into the system" as possible because in reality our current Justice System is a very lucrative Business.

Last edited by Bugout4x4; 04/06/16.

When I no longer have the right to protect my own person or property...my person and property have become public property in common.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Luckily in rural US you don't see the guilty until innocent that often. Usually know all our locals by first name. See them in the walmart and grocery store.

That helps

the disconnect of larger cities hurts.

I can certainly see the guilty until innocent side and where it comes from. Some days in my job as an inspector my test to see if you are lying, is to see if you open your mouth. But thats not most days.

Still, LEO should certainly have more respect for folks until they show reason otherwise.

And for me, if you get pulled over and first words to LEO are can't you catch a real criminal, sorry to interupt your donut run or such.... I'd just assume your day is going to get worse.

Me and the sled.... When he came back, I'd have asked WTF did you do? IN nice words and move on from there. And follow it up with a letter to a higher up as needed.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Luckily in rural US you don't see the guilty until innocent that often. Usually know all our locals by first name. See them in the walmart and grocery store.

Unfortunately this relationship is usually AFTER they have ran you "Clean" once before or have knowledge that you are indeed also "Part of the system" or your kids happen to be on the same ball team with their kids.

This used to be how it was in Rural America...Not any longer, you just haven't met the "New Officer who just moved into town" yet...

Last edited by Bugout4x4; 04/06/16.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
For the most part its not after they run you here. We have one local that needs to grow up and chill out though.

But for the most part locally, you are fine until you prove you are not.

For my tastes and their safety most are a bit TOO laid back.

Heck I"m contemplating starting to carry 24/7 regardless.... just from whats happening in the world.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
For my tastes and their safety most are a bit TOO laid back.

Even though my sentiments are against the current extremism in policies I have to say that the situation you describe here could also be a mistake and a detriment to the safety of a Community and it's Officers. There was a time when a fair, just and respectful "balance" was actually practiced. smile

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I think I'll use this opportunity to 'make lemonade'. crazy If I try to promote my product in the future it will be like this:

The Alaska State Troopers agree, "These sleds are so fine that, even sight unseen, we know they were stolen!"

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Sounds like your sleds are really .... HOT.....

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 17CalFan, 55 invisible), 2,409 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,647
Posts18,474,581
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.