Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Mule Deer
Please tell me you are on a list to review this rifle, or Eileen anyway. I have talked to Kilimanjaro about an Artemis for my daughter, but it's just too much money and I don't really care for the savage lady hunter. This Camilla however has my interest.

I'm not crazy about the 20 inch barrel. I don't know why women and kids get stuck with such short barrels that produce more muzzle blast. I'd rather have a 22in barrel and a stock that fits, slightly muzzle heavy in a nice weight package.

My daughter currently shoots a 257 Roberts quite well, but wants something bigger. This Camilla in 308 might be just the ticket. I'm thinking it would make a great graduation present for her.

I wonder if they will sell just the stock?

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Or if Eileen has handled one and how the stock design compares to the Artemis. I don' expect to find one local for my daughter to handle even though that doesn't tell as much as actual trigger time. I may order one in 308 to see if she likes it.

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I would also be interested in any perspectives as my daughter is thinking about buying one in .243.

Thanks GRF

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I'm not on any list, as far as I know, but will request one and see what's up.

I also don't know why "women and kid's" rifles almost always have short, light barrels!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Well, I guess I've already proven I'm in the minority when it comes to gun things. Maybe I'm just sensitive, but the muzzle blast of an 18inch barrel of most youth and women guns takes most of the enjoyment out of shooting it. The difference in weight and handling between a 20 and 22 inch barrel are barely noticeable, but to me seem to have quite a bit difference in muzzle blast. I guess most people don’t shoot often so it’s not an issue. Again, maybe I’m just too sensitive.

My daughter would shoot every day if I would take her. She has no problem shooting a rifle with a 22 inch barrel. Her gun used to be a youth model 7 in 7mm08 with 18in barrel. The muzzle blast was considerably more than a 22in barrel 7mm08 to everyone who shot them side by side. So much so most people didn’t want to shoot the youth gun that much.

Yeah, I know they make shorter, lighter stuff for kids and women because they are smaller and I guess weaker, so I should just be happy they cater to them at all. My limited thinking/experience has always thought less muzzle blast was more conducive to better shooting among women and children. Besides, it gives me the opportunity to send my smith some more work.

IC B2

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
That's one goofy looking stock. I hope it is function over form!

"Think about how stupid the average person is, and then think that half of the people are stupider than that" - George Carlin
CWT Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Mark V has a 24 inch barrel. The Vanguard has a 20 inch barrel. This seems to be the only stock available specifically for women.

Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms should be a convenience store; not a government agency.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I cannot appreciate short barrels. My Rem 700 in 308 has a 22” barrel. I purchased a Sako 85 Black Synthetic 308 last year realizing it was actually a SS Finnlight cerakoted with a 22” barrel & I stumbled upon a Rem 700 in 308 with a 24” barrel. I also have 23” Kimber in 308 which I plan to make ready for my grand-daughter.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
CWT Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The problem with most stocks are they really don't fit most women. The Camilla stock has more drop, higher comb, and toe out or forward cant on the butt. I can't find one in the stores around my area though.

Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms should be a convenience store; not a government agency.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
We ran across one at a local store, and it fit Eileen very well. In fact the stock dimensions are very similar to the custom-fit walnut stock on her Serengeti Rifles .308.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

CWT Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Was it the Vanguard? If so how did the wood look? I am leaning towards that vs the $3000 list price for the Mark V.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I just talked to Weatherby - the Camilla stock by itself is available for $545.

That means you can get a Vanguard barreled action or simply buy a Vanguard with the caliber and barrel length you want, toss the stock and put on the Camilla.

Or, I suppose, get a Howa - likely for less - and do the same thing!

Howa barreled actions are available at Brownells for a little more than $400.

Or you can go to Gunbroker, which has an auction (748304757) for a Howa .308 barreled action, currently at $256.

Or GunsAmerica, which has a new Howa 1500 Gameking scope package for $429...part out the scope and stock, and you've got it for cheap!

Last edited by czech1022; 02/22/18.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
CWT,

It was a Vanguard, and the wood was basically average, though pretty nicely fitted and finished, per usual with Weatherby.

John Steinbeck
CWT Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks so much for your response. I think I'll try one for the young lady. Just would like a 22' barrel. It seems factory rifles I like these days always have a thing or three I don't like. I don't remember that being a problem back in the day.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by CWT
I think I'll try one for the young lady. Just would like a 22' barrel.

‘ = ft
“ = inches

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
CWT Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Originally Posted by CWT
I think I'll try one for the young lady. Just would like a 22' barrel.

‘ = ft
“ = inches

Oh. I didn't know. Thanks for that.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If you never shouldered a Weatherby style stock you are missing a fine fit....They may look different but that's 'cause they work and I'm sure this ladies is well thought out...I picked up an Ultra Light in /06 to try it and now I own one...Very accurate too.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'm sure the Camilla is a nice rifle, but, could they have assigned it a worse moniker?
Will it eventually come to be known in common parlance as the Chlamydia?
Or perhaps the "Duchess of Cornhole" ?

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
CWT Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I believe it is named after Roy Weatherby's wife, Camilla Weatherby.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
CWT,

And you're correct.

John Steinbeck
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

418 members (1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 17CalFan, 163bc, 42 invisible), 2,277 guests, and 1,221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,627
Posts18,474,185
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.