Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by Redneck
C'mon, Dave, maybe you're just pulling our chains with this idiocy

If you're referring to this Dave, no I'm not.

This anti-texting schit is just more brain washed idiocy. Glancing at a phone at eye-level and sending an abbreviated response requires no more risk than changing the radio station. Or sipping your coffee. Or looking around for change as you approach a toll booth.

Common sense would dictate that one doesn't need to type nor read a novel while driving in heavy traffic. But since there are too many dumb fugks in the world, it's now a crime to glance at your phone or type a short response. Anybody that can chew gum and jog at the same time is capable of this yet it is now outlawed in (I believe) 48 states. Why? Because of the lowest common denominator. That's why.

And of course there are about 5 billion alleged conservatives that are all too eager to allow this type of idiotic legislation.

My truck has Bluetooth. In order for me to make a call or send a text in most states I have to stare at a TV screen in the middle of my dashboard. I have to scroll through contacts, speak, push buttons, yada, yada, yada. How in the earth's holy fugk is that less distracting than typing "10-4" on a phone?

My truck also has a navigation system so when I drive around schit holes like Minneapolis, Chicago, or San Antonio, I don't have to ask any of the local mouth breathers directions. Why in the fugk is it legal for me to stare at the TV screen, as I drive in congested traffic, but it's not legal for me to look at a hand held fugking phone that can tell me the same info?

Does any of this make any sense? No. It doesn't. It's just more feel good fugking bullschit that the brain washed masses buy into because they don't/can't think for themselves.

And let's not forget many states have caveats for law enforcement officers. Because we all know anybody in that line of work has the reflexes of ninja trained cats. JFC. How do you people buy into this bullschit?

Dave

I tend to agree with deflave. Texting and driving can be dangerous, but with proper risk management can be done safely. I very rarely text and drive. When I do it's a quick one letter or one word response that is somewhat time sensitive. I do a full and thorough 360 scan before each key stroke. I won't do it when anyone is in my danger zone. It's really no different from reading road signs in an unfamiliar area. It's something that can be so distracting that it becomes dangerous, but it can also be managed safely. I drive about 150-200 miles per work day. The obliviousness I see in texters is just [bleep] staggering. People become engrossed in their phones to the point that they lose awareness of driving. drifting out of their lane. Pinballing back and forth within the lane. Going so slow as to hinder the flow of traffic. Unable to maintain a constant speed. I honk at every damn one of the idiots and shake my head at them. It's funny how many get pissed at me.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
No they don't. The only one supporting your narrative is there is virtually no difference between Blue Tooth or similar device and regular texting. Every other study, (for example that of commercial drivers: Driver Distraction in Commercial Motor Vehicle Operations”, Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, 2009 – text messaging creates a crash risk 23 times greater than driving without distraction) where texting was a primary and not a secondary violation (Florida was that way)reduced accidents across all age groups. AS to your link, of course that is true. The older one gets the slower one's reaction time becomes. BUT when coupled with inexperince (the #1 cause of accidents with teenagers) Texting is another factor in the equation they just don't need:
link

teens& inexperience

Last edited by jorgeI; 06/30/16.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jorgeI
So what do you propose we should do NOW to stem the almost 60% increase in accidents due to texting? Or we can go back to the good old days of Deadwood, do away with most laws and if one sees something you deem a danger to yourself, just take appropriate action, like tapping their rear bumper and run them off the road..

Where did you get that data? Fatality rates per mile driven are at an all time low. I have looked for accident per mile traveled data and haven't found any.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Frankly, I don't remember, might have even been a news broadcast. I do know just as you state overall accidents are low, perhaps a clearer narrative would have been of accidents that do occur texting showed a 60% increase as a causal factor? I will try and find it.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
No they don't.

Do so.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

Where did you get that data?

My ass.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Texting is another factor in the equation they just don't need:

I love when the government tells us what we do and don't need.

Dave

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

This anti-texting schit is just more brain washed idiocy. Glancing at a phone at eye-level and sending an abbreviated response requires no more risk than changing the radio station. Or sipping your coffee. Or looking around for change as you approach a toll booth.

Common sense would dictate that one doesn't need to type nor read a novel while driving in heavy traffic. But since there are too many dumb fugks in the world, it's now a crime to glance at your phone or type a short response. Anybody that can chew gum and jog at the same time is capable of this yet it is now outlawed in (I believe) 48 states. Why? Because of the lowest common denominator. That's why.

And of course there are about 5 billion alleged conservatives that are all too eager to allow this type of idiotic legislation.

My truck has Bluetooth. In order for me to make a call or send a text in most states I have to stare at a TV screen in the middle of my dashboard. I have to scroll through contacts, speak, push buttons, yada, yada, yada. How in the earth's holy fugk is that less distracting than typing "10-4" on a phone?

My truck also has a navigation system so when I drive around schit holes like Minneapolis, Chicago, or San Antonio, I don't have to ask any of the local mouth breathers directions. Why in the fugk is it legal for me to stare at the TV screen, as I drive in congested traffic, but it's not legal for me to look at a hand held fugking phone that can tell me the same info?

Does any of this make any sense? No. It doesn't. It's just more feel good fugking bullschit that the brain washed masses buy into because they don't/can't think for themselves.

And let's not forget many states have caveats for law enforcement officers. Because we all know anybody in that line of work has the reflexes of ninja trained cats. JFC. How do you people buy into this bullschit?

Dave

I tend to agree with deflave. Texting and driving can be dangerous, but with proper risk management can be done safely. I very rarely text and drive. When I do it's a quick one letter or one word response that is somewhat time sensitive. I do a full and thorough 360 scan before each key stroke. I won't do it when anyone is in my danger zone. It's really no different from reading road signs in an unfamiliar area. It's something that can be so distracting that it becomes dangerous, but it can also be managed safely. I drive about 150-200 miles per work day. The obliviousness I see in texters is just [bleep] staggering. People become engrossed in their phones to the point that they lose awareness of driving. drifting out of their lane. Pinballing back and forth within the lane. Going so slow as to hinder the flow of traffic. Unable to maintain a constant speed. I honk at every damn one of the idiots and shake my head at them. It's funny how many get pissed at me.

I'm seeing it like this too. I HATE new laws, and it is too bad that some folks who type short, one or two word responses (vs. people writing sentences) are being barred from it when it is perfectly legal to use touch screens/dash mounted GPS/fumbling for change, stare at billboards, check out the slut in the Maserati, etc.

The line has to be drawn somewhere though, else folks will continue to push the legal limits...how can the law say that a person like DeFlave (who likely can safely text a one word response) can legally text and drive but the bawling bleeder driving home the morning after can't text "I can't believe I [bleep] him again...he's such as [bleep]..."

The 24 HC teaches sociological principles better than any college could dream of...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just yesterday, in a 70 mph zone, a car doing about 45-50 in the passing lane , kinda weaving around, thought it was a drunk but was a young guy texting, he was totally oblivious to me as I passed him on the right.

He was likely one of those guys that will tell you "I can text and drive with no problem at all" or "I can drive better after two or three beers".

The trouble with these idiots is that they never see the folks who have to slam on their brakes to keep from hitting them or take evasive action like swerving to keep from getting hit by them. Since they never see these almost-victims, they go blithely on their merry way convinced that all is well. eek

[Linked Image]
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by T_Inman

The line has to be drawn somewhere though, else folks will continue to push the legal limits...how can the law say that a person like DeFlave (who likely can safely text a one word response) can legally text and drive but the bawling bleeder driving home the morning after can't text "I can't believe I [bleep] him again...he's such as [bleep]..."

Well that's just it.

We can't use legislation to rid our society of dip schits. Just let her bawl and drive and text as far as I'm concerned.

Dave

IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by jnyork
Just yesterday, in a 70 mph zone, a car doing about 45-50 in the passing lane , kinda weaving around, thought it was a drunk but was a young guy texting, he was totally oblivious to me as I passed him on the right.

He was likely one of those guys that will tell you "I can text and drive with no problem at all" or "I can drive better after two or three beers".

The trouble with these idiots is that they never see the folks who have to slam on their brakes to keep from hitting them or take evasive action like swerving to keep from getting hit by them. Since they never see these almost-victims, they go blithely on their merry way convinced that all is well. eek

They should make it illegal to text and drive in that state.

Dave

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I commute sixty plus miles to work and the texters are getting out of hand. Statistic show texting/cell phone use is becoming a primary causal effect for road accidents and I agree.
It's not a factor of legislating to the lowest common denominator, if that was the case I'd agree. The problem is they are trying to KILL ME. I'm all for draconian, punitive penalties for texting whilst driving as well as driving at or below the speed limit in the left lane.

Soon a third texting ticket, or injury accident while texting will be a felony.

No guns for texter drivers.

DWT, driving while texting

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Punish the idiots who can't walk and chew gum at the same time, leave the rest of us along.

If some ass hole causes an accident whilst texting throw the book at them.

The entire texting laws are about as stupid as moving the BAC limit to .08 from .10.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
One of these days I am going to quit swearing and just do it..

buy an older Dodge 1 Ton Diesel, and then put about a 600 pound bumper and brush guard on the front, and a bumper on the back that was taken off the front of a Deuce& aHalf....

People in the left lane or faster lanes, driving erratic and texting... I would just love to pass them on the right, pull in front of them and tap my brakes to drop my speed about 15 mph or so and let them rear end the Pickup....

Driving to and from Colorado recently, in my Pilot, I was amazed at how many people spend more time on their cell phones or texting whatever, than they spend paying attention to where they are going....

even coming off of Pike's Peak, bumper to bumper traffic at a crawl and the number of people still texting... amazing sitting next to some vehicles with 4 or 5 people in them and each one was busy starring at their cell phones....

If no witnesses, in my old fantasy beat up 1 ton Dodge Diesel, would love to just nudge them off the road....

I have no empathy for these people if they end up hurting themselves... just for those others they might hurt.

and yeah, I don't text anyway......even at home... someone texts me, I call them back and tell them I don't text....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Well that's just it.

We can't use legislation to rid our society of dip schits. Just let her bawl and drive and text as far as I'm concerned.

Dave

But that's when a wreck will happen, and someone innocent will die.

How do you protect one person's rights without stomping on another's?

This whole situation is a tough one.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

You don't.

Dave

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

Well that's just it.

Dave

Life isn't safe. Everyone dies and none are innocent. Ben Franklin said something about Liberty vs Safety a long time ago. I agree with him.

Luke 22:36
εγώ δεν θα συμμορφωθεί
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by heavywalker

The entire texting laws are about as stupid as moving the BAC limit to .08 from .10.

I'm glad somebody caught on to my Coors Light comment.

Dave

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by coat4gun

And let's not forget many states have caveats for law enforcement officers. Because we all know anybody in that line of work has the reflexes of ninja trained cat. JFC. How do you people buy into this bullschit?

Dave

Dang, thats the longest post I have ever seen you write.... and I agree with 100% of it. +9999 We have too many laws already... time to start afresh with the original law, the constitution.
Only proving you are both wrong.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by coat4gun

Well that's just it.

Dave

Life isn't safe. Everyone dies and none are innocent. Ben Franklin said something about Liberty vs Safety a long time ago. I agree with him.

Why can't I fire a rifle on a school playground? Drive around wasted like I am 18 again? Light fireworks next to the gas pump? It should be my right to do so correct? Those people I kill or hurt were not innocent right? That was a chance they took and they lost, because I have the right to be reckless. That whole liberty vs safety thing you know???

Just to be clear, I'm not totally anti-driving while texting...I am however, just trying to be fair about the complexity of these issues.

Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

98 members (8MMX57JS, Akhutr, 01Foreman400, 79S, 9 invisible), 929 guests, and 842 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,091
Posts18,522,100
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.