Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 25 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 24 25
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rost495
I like cold weather more than I like the damn 100s here... LOL.

Agreed. It's been brutal in El Paso - up to 105-107 last week. I hate it.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Damn, thats where you are at? Only 8 hours away from me. LOL.

Its a bit warm out there for sure!

Humidity is killing us here lately.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by High_Noon
I like cold weather more than I like the damn 100s here... LOL.

Agreed. It's been brutal in El Paso - up to 105-107 last week. I hate it.
You in El Paso?

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
You in El Paso?

Yep. Completing my masters in geology at UTEP.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
I'm just 45 minutes North of where you are.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Cool. We should get together and blast stuff... When it cools down.

- Del Gue
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
"When it cools down" Yup about October or so! smile

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Damn, thats where you are at? Only 8 hours away from me. LOL.

Its a bit warm out there for sure!

Humidity is killing us here lately.

Yep, and only 11 hours from Dallas, my hometown. I much prefer the weather in Dallas, the dry heat here is absolutely brutal - it's like an oven set to broil. At least we get rain in Dallas, which I miss dearly.

Last edited by High_Noon; 06/29/16.

- Del Gue
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I realize I'm late to the party, but if I could toss in this idea . . .
http://www.realguns.com/articles/596.htm

Very handy and plenty of authority. You can find good deals on them in the $600-700 range.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Sounds like the perfect Alaskan rifle.
For Minnesota I will stick with the 225 gr Nosler Partition at 2,700 fps.
Moose, black bear, and deer beware.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by akmtnrunner

Very handy and plenty of authority. You can find good deals on them in the $600-700 range.

Looks like a good option. I would like to stay under .375, but I will consider it.

Last edited by High_Noon; 06/29/16.

- Del Gue
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by akmtnrunner

Originally Posted by link
Trigger Pull........4 Lbs. 4Oz.

Holy crap! Bring a come-a-long!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Just in case you are still dragging your feet on the reloading issue, there is a really nice looking RCBS Jr press in the classifieds here on this site for cheap. Get it, you won't regret it.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
High Noon,
A man with your education and income should be able to have several rifles.
If you reload your own ammunition the rifle instantly becomes very versatile.
For example I bought a 375 H&H magnum for my son so that he could come bear hunting with me.
Now I use it for deer with either a Sierra 200 gr.
or a 220 gr Hornady @ 2,200 fps.
Very dramatic killer on deer.
But with 270 grain bullets at 2,700 fps it is a lot better suited for African big five. My advice is to think less about rifles and more about reloading.
A Handloaded 220 gr. NOSLER in a 30-06 would be big enough for what you need in Alaska IMO.
A 35 Whelen with 250 grain bullets at 2,400 fps is nothing to sneeze at either.
You have a very versatile rifle once you get away from factory loads.
A 225 gr Partition @ 2,700 fps is "flatter shooting" than most people can utilize.
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by TheKid
Just in case you are still dragging your feet on the reloading issue, there is a really nice looking RCBS Jr press in the classifieds here on this site for cheap. Get it, you won't regret it.

An RCBS Junior was my first press. I loaded a zillion rounds on it before I stumbled into a near give away Rockchucker at a yard sale.

Great press. Wouldn't be afraid of it a bit.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by mart
An RCBS Junior was my first press. I loaded a zillion rounds on it before I stumbled into a near give away Rockchucker at a yard sale.

Good to know. I’ll check it out.

- Del Gue
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
wheelnut: Thanks. The income will come later, when I can find a decent position, which is no easy feat these days with the collapse of the energy industry, etc. but I understand your point. I agree that reloading should be at or near the top of the list and to that end, I have been reading up on the subject. Reloading will definitely be part of the equation. Regarding both the rifle and reloading, I have plenty of time to find the right rifle and equipment, but I’ll have to limit my purchases while I am completing my thesis. I can tell you that I’m real tired of being a poor grad student. Most of my funds are directed to supporting my young daughter at this point.

Last edited by High_Noon; 06/30/16.

- Del Gue
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by mart

I started with the big one and sold it before moving to AK. Bought a Jr after I moved up and haven't used anything else for nearly a decade now. Great little press.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by High_Noon
wheelnut: Thanks. The income will come later, when I can find a decent position, which is no easy feat these days with the collapse of the energy industry, etc. but I understand your point. I agree that reloading should be at or near the top of the list and to that end, I have been reading up on the subject. Reloading will definitely be part of the equation. Regarding both the rifle and reloading, I have plenty of time to find the right rifle and equipment, but I’ll have to limit my purchases while I am completing my thesis. I can tell you that I’m real tired of being a poor grad student. Most of my funds are directed to supporting my young daughter at this point.

Holy crap, a grad student with a child. That would make me nervous as hell.

Best of luck on that!!! Can't imagine married, with child bills and grad school bills and no job all at the same time. Scary.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Holy crap, a grad student with a child. That would make me nervous as hell.

Best of luck on that!!! Can't imagine married, with child bills and grad school bills and no job all at the same time. Scary.

Actually, it's a lot worse than that. I'm an older grad student (47) and divorced. My Federal Student Loans and my work at the University as a Research Assistant are all I can rely upon. Which is why I need to finish my thesis and get my fargin' degree and get to work! When I started grad school in geology, West Texas Intermediate was nearly $130.00/barrel and the outlook was great. Then oil dropped to around $28.00/barrel and that rosy outlook evaporated. I'm not at all optimistic that my offer of employment will still be there when I graduate, hence my "when I can find a decent position" comment. I know a few people who had offers from oil companies that have been rescinded.

Last edited by High_Noon; 06/30/16.

- Del Gue
Page 10 of 25 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 24 25

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

87 members (10gaugemag, 7mm_Loco, 257_X_50, AdventureBound, 13 invisible), 1,486 guests, and 813 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,538
Posts18,531,069
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.