-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 25 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 24 25
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Whelen all the way. I have a 700 Classic and a Winchester Model 95 in .35 Whelen as well as a Remington 673 in .350 Remington Magnum. Also a Winchester Model 71 in .348. I love my 35's!

GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by High_Noon
Originally Posted by rost495
Holy crap, a grad student with a child. That would make me nervous as hell.

Best of luck on that!!! Can't imagine married, with child bills and grad school bills and no job all at the same time. Scary.

Actually, it's a lot worse than that. I'm an older grad student (47) and divorced. My Federal Student Loans and my work at the University as a Research Assistant are all I can rely upon. Which is why I need to finish my thesis and get my fargin' degree and get to work! When I started grad school in geology, West Texas Intermediate was nearly $130.00/barrel and the outlook was great. Then oil dropped to around $28.00/barrel and that rosy outlook evaporated. I'm not at all optimistic that my offer of employment will still be there when I graduate, hence my "when I can find a decent position" comment. I know a few people who had offers from oil companies that have been rescinded.

I will do all I can, which is say a prayer.

I do know a gal that works in a big oil company supposedly in ANC, PM me when you graduate, or close to and the particulars of your degree, I"ll forward to her and see if the company uses that degree or not and if any thing possible open...

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rost495
I will do all I can, which is say a prayer.

I do know a gal that works in a big oil company supposedly in ANC, PM me when you graduate, or close to and the particulars of your degree, I"ll forward to her and see if the company uses that degree or not and if any thing possible open... Jeff

Jeff: Thanks very much. I will certainly contact you when the time comes. - Kevin

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by LJB3
Whelen all the way. I have a 700 Classic and a Winchester Model 95 in .35 Whelen as well as a Remington 673 in .350 Remington Magnum. Also a Winchester Model 71 in .348. I love my 35's!

Another vote for the Whelen! Perhaps I’ll find a used, custom-built CRF carbine in .35W that’s similar to the CZ 550 Kevlar carbine and at a similar price. Now that would be ideal, but likely wishful thinking.

Last edited by High_Noon; 06/30/16.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
If you want to shoot a Montana Rifle Co. firearm,let me know and you can try mine out for schits and giggles.

It's a .338 RUM.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
IC B2

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Spoke to Jes the other day about getting my stainless tikka T3 06 re bored to 35. Stainless is 25$ more. So 275 if not the basic 3 groove 1-14 twist.
What twist are you thinking of doing and why?

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dre
Spoke to Jes the other day about getting my stainless tikka T3 06 re bored to 35. Stainless is 25$ more. So 275 if not the basic 3 groove 1-14 twist.

1:12 to better stabilize 250s & up, in .35W. The CZ 550 Kevlar Carbine in 9.3x62 has a 1:10 Edit: 1:14 twist rate, in contrast.

- Del Gue
Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
yup I want 1:12 as well. but I want 5 groove. everyone says 3 is fine but Im trying to learn what the differences are.
how many groove are you getting if re boring? or do you know much about that?
I can't seem to find much info on the 35 and what the difference is 3 vs 4 vs 5 groove.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dre

1:12 to better stabilize 250s & up, in .35W. The CZ 550 Kevlar Carbine in 9.3x62 has a 1:10 twist rate, in contrast.

High noon, I know you keep saying the CZ550 carbine 9.3x62mm has a 1 in 10 twist, but it has a 1 in 14" twist. Just like their CZ 550 Americans'. I can attest to how well they shoot 286gr. partitions, 285gr. Norma Oryx, 270gr. speers and a couple others. They know what they are doing in regards to twist rate and building barrels and rifles. Good luck with your endeavor..

CZ 550 carbine 9.3x62mm

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Faster twists almost never hurt if available.

My rebore 338-06 JES did 5 groove win rifling. I"ve not many complaints, but to do next time I"d probably just go top of the line barrel instead.

I shot a lot of 3 groove in 223....

Shoot a 5 groove in 308....

Thats all the data I have. I"m a bit convinced of the odd grooves myself...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dre
yup I want 1:12 as well. but I want 5 groove. everyone says 3 is fine but Im trying to learn what the differences are.
how many groove are you getting if re boring? or do you know much about that?
I can't seem to find much info on the 35 and what the difference is 3 vs 4 vs 5 groove.

Well, I’m not an expert by any means, but any choice regarding the number of grooves is going to be somewhat of a compromise. I read a Practical Machinist thread which stated that the number of grooves does not affect stability and that there is little practical difference in accuracy; however, I also read (in the same thread) that different calibers in different rifles will sometimes favor a certain numbers of groves, but I am not certain how this manifests itself – possibly in accuracy. It seems as though ultra long range shooters favor 3 groove barrels, but I’m not sure why, though I can speculate that it’s likely accuracy.

Some believe that an odd number of lands and grooves is more accurate with an open based FMJ bullet. The theory being that the bullet is not squeezed as much between two lands, so less lead is pushed out of the base of the bullet affecting the accuracy. The number of grooves and depth of grooves can also affect drag, blow-by, and tendency to foul.

I read a post in another forum that stated: (paraphrased) The purpose of the rifling is to engage the bullet in order to prevent it from skidding down the barrel and in doing so it deforms the bullet so it fits the rifling tightly enough so that it cannot skid. The more the number of grooves is increased, the more the bullet is deformed as it travels down the barrel. So I think you want enough groves to grip the bullet tightly enough to prevent skidding, but not so much as to overly deform the bullet or cause excessive fouling or blow-by. I would think that 3 groves would be adequate and 5 bit much, but again, I am not an expert.

Basically, what it all boils down to is that this is all theoretical and I think that anyone who can give you a definitive answer, unless a true expert, is likely full of hogwash, but I could be wrong. I really do not know the answer to this question. My advice would be to contact you barrel maker and discuss the matter with him.

Perhaps someone with more experience will give us an explanation.

- Del Gue
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
If i were a poor grad student I would buy the cheapest reliable 30.06 I could buy and a case of ammo and go kill everything that walks here. I would spend whatever money I had left and go hunting. Hunting here will cost you if you want consistently good hunting. It will most likely involve a plane or a boat. I know there are exceptions to that , but its a fair statement to say your choice of caliber from 06 and up shouldn't be your biggest concern regarding hunting here. There are much more important things to consider and plan.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
High noon, I know you keep saying the CZ550 carbine 9.3x62mm has a 1 in 10 twist, but it has a 1 in 14" twist. Just like their CZ 550 Americans'. I can attest to how well they shoot 286gr. partitions, 285gr. Norma Oryx, 270gr. speers and a couple others. They know what they are doing in regards to twist rate and building barrels and rifles. Good luck with your endeavor..

CZ 550 carbine 9.3x62mm

bas: Thanks for the heads-up. The link you posted is where I got my 1:10 twist rate. I was looking at the .30-06 specifications and I did not realize that I needed to use the right scroll arrow to view the 9.3x62 specification. My apologies if I caused any confusion. The twist rate of the CZ 550 Kevlar Carbine in 9.3x62 is indeed 1:14, which I agree is adequate for both 250 grained pills and heavier.

- Del Gue
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BCJR
If i were a poor grad student I would buy the cheapest reliable 30.06 I could buy and a case of ammo and go kill everything that walks here. I would spend whatever money I had left and go hunting. Hunting here will cost you if you want consistently good hunting. It will most likely involve a plane or a boat. I know there are exceptions to that , but its a fair statement to say your choice of caliber from 06 and up shouldn't be your biggest concern regarding hunting here. There are much more important things to consider and plan.

Very true, but I do not plan to make a purchase or hunt (other than whitetails and feral hogs on a buddy's ranch here in W. TX) until I am employed and bringing in a good salary. I mentioned previously that the rifle under discussion here will be a graduation present to myself and I will not make the purchase until I can afford to do so and it's a financially responsible decision for me. I want to learn all I can now, so that when it comes time to purchase said rifle, I can do so with confidence in my decision. I also have a good buddy in AK that I grew up with and traveled to AK with in the early 90s, that ran his own guiding outfit for a number of years, I can be sure he would take me on a no-charge guided hunt, other than tags and incidentals.

- Del Gue
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

CZ 550 carbine 9.3x62mm

bas: Thanks for the heads-up. The link you posted is where I got my 1:10 twist rate. I was looking at the .30-06 specifications and I did not realize that I needed to use the right scroll arrow to view the 9.3x62 specification. My apologies if I caused any confusion. The twist rate of the CZ 550 Kevlar Carbine in 9.3x62 is indeed 1:14, which I agree is adequate for both 250 grained and heavier.

Bingo my friend. Now here's how some of those heavies shot in my CZ 550 American 9.3x62mm:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Cool, sounds like you have it all dialed in. Best of luck in the future.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
High Noon.... PM sent.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
bsa: very impressive groupings in those photos!

BCJR: Thanks. Hopefully, my future in AK will come sooner, rather than later. I plan to work hard to make it happen as I've been trying to get back to AK since '91.

- Del Gue
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
If you want to shoot a Montana Rifle Co. firearm,let me know and you can try mine out for schits and giggles.

It's a .338 RUM.

That would be great. Thanks. I'll contact you when the weather cools down a bit.

- Del Gue
Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the reply. That's the most sense I've heard after a month of asking.
Maybe I'll just do 3 groove 1-12.
I dont plan on shooting heavier than 250, but if I do, I can.
I know jes recommends 1-14, 3 groove

Page 11 of 25 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 24 25

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

49 members (7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 6MMWASP, 907brass, 7 invisible), 1,447 guests, and 809 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,538
Posts18,531,079
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.