Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 25 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 24 25
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dre
Thanks for the reply. That's the most sense I've heard after a month of asking. Maybe I'll just do 3 groove 1-12. I dont plan on shooting heavier than 250, but if I do, I can. I know jes recommends 1-14, 3 groove

You should seriously consider JES’ recommendation. I’m sure he’s received feedback from his customers as to what twist rate works best in the .35W, as well as other calibers. Based upon bsa’s groupings in the photos he posted and the fact that he has a 1:14 twist rate, I believe it would be a great option. Of course, as rost495 said and as I understand it, a faster twist rate couldn’t hurt either, but I’d double check this with JES.

Last edited by High_Noon; 06/30/16.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
High Noon,

I know what you are going through. I just finished paying for my sons college.
Now maybe I can go on some hunting trips.
Go 35 Whelen and never look back.
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by whelennut
High Noon, I know what you are going through. I just finished paying for my sons college. Now maybe I can go on some hunting trips.
Go 35 Whelen and never look back. whelennut

Thanks. The Whelen is definitely at the top of the list!

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by High_Noon
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
If you want to shoot a Montana Rifle Co. firearm,let me know and you can try mine out for schits and giggles.

It's a .338 RUM.

That would be great. Thanks. I'll contact you when the weather cools down a bit.
Ok.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
bsa: very impressive groupings in those photos!

BCJR: Thanks. Hopefully, my future in AK will come sooner, rather than later. I plan to work hard to make it happen as I've been trying to get back to AK since '91.

High Noon, I wish you the best of luck...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
High Noon, I wish you the best of luck...

bsa: Thanks very much. I really appreciate your kind words.

I'd also like to thank everyone who has contributed to his thread. Everyone has been incredibly helpful by sharing their knowledge and experience, and the generosity I have received from several of you is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by High_Noon; 07/01/16.

- Del Gue
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
High Noon,there's a Sportsman's Warehouse opening in Las Cruces next month. The store will have powder,dies,brass,bullets,primers and anything else you can think of.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by stlooiearch
High Noon, you shuda been watching the classified here.

just bought an FN actioned 35 Whelen with a fantastic figured stock for less than a very basic 700.

it was a great deal, wish it had been a 9.3x62 but too good to pass up.

you've been an excellent poster and I only have one question left. Why are you so hung up on the whelen when the 9.3 is superior by any measure ?

good luck !
Pictures?

Last edited by elkhunternm; 07/01/16.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

just bought an FN actioned 35 Whelen with a fantastic figured stock for less than a very basic 700.

you've been an excellent poster and I only have one question left. Why are you so hung up on the whelen when the 9.3 is superior by any measure ?

good luck !
Pictures?

I also asked for photos of this (mythical?) .35 Whelen.

Last edited by High_Noon; 07/02/16.

- Del Gue
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
High Noon,there's a Sportsman's Warehouse opening in Las Cruces next month. The store will have powder,dies,brass,bullets,primers and anything else you can think of.

Thanks for the tip. Gander Mountain opened in El Paso recently as well, but I haven't had a chance to check it out.

- Del Gue
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

good luck !
Pictures?

I also asked for photos of this (mythical?) .35 Whelen.

AHH, ye of little faith. Actually a 35W IMP. Stock looks like it's off/for a BSA as the cheekpieck and buttplate are exactly like my BSA 222.(also bought here from another outstanding member!)

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/11261600/Searchpage/1/Main/776345/Words/goldendomer04/Search/true/Re:_Beautiful_Fiddleback_FN_Ma#Post11261600

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/11261603/Searchpage/1/Main/776344/Words/goldendomer04/Search/true/Re:_35_Whelen_AI_-_Belgian_FN_#Post11261603

Apology accepted.

Last edited by stlooiearch; 07/02/16.
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Have not been to Gander Mountain either. I go to Collector's Gun Exchange off of North Mesa (?).

Bought a Winchester M 70 SS .375 H&H there last year. That's a Weaver 3x with Talley bases & rings.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Link does not work.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
AHH, ye of little faith. Actually a 35W IMP. Stock looks like it's off/for a BSA as the cheekpieck and buttplate are exactly like my BSA 222.(also bought here from another outstanding member!)

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/11261600/Searchpage/1/Main/776345/Words/goldendomer04/Search/true/Re:_Beautiful_Fiddleback_FN_Ma#Post11261600

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/11261603/Searchpage/1/Main/776344/Words/goldendomer04/Search/true/Re:_35_Whelen_AI_-_Belgian_FN_#Post11261603

Apology accepted.

Links work for me. You simply posted links to 2 classified ads: a FN barreled action and a nice stock in two separate classified listings, which sold on 6/21. Looks like it will make a fine rifle for whoever purchased the components.

- Del Gue
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Have not been to Gander Mountain either. I go to Collector's Gun Exchange off of North Mesa (?).

Yep. Collector's Gun Exchange has some nice guns from time to time. A few years ago they had a .300 H&H, which sorely tempted me. Yesterday, I saw a "For Lease" sign above the store, but I didn't stop by to see if they were out of business.

That looks like a nice .375 H&H you have there.

- Del Gue
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
I hope not! It's my favorite gun store in El Paso.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I hope not! It's my favorite gun store in El Paso.

I'll check later today and let you know.

- Del Gue
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
no photos here either.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Thanks. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Do a search for "belgian" in the last month and you will find it.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/11257441/Searchpage/1/Main/776344/Words/belgian/Search/true/Re:_35_Whelen_AI_-_Belgian_FN_#Post11257441

Link was screwed up.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Page 12 of 25 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 24 25

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

62 members (6mmbrfan, 10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 6MMWASP, 9 invisible), 1,459 guests, and 867 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,538
Posts18,531,082
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.