Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 14 of 25 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 24 25
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The few (3, I believe) SS M70 semi-customs, that have been posted in this thread all look like slick, great handling rifles - and are accurate and good-looking to boot. What's not to like?

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
" Looks like it will make a fine rifle for whoever purchased the components."

well mr. "I'm going to take a position although I'm still unemployed.", just who did you think bought it?

were you not so broke, I'd ask you to put your student loan $ where your mouth is.

it's on its way and when it arrives, I'll post pics of it for your edification.

you act more like 17 than 47, no wonder you had to try find a "guvenment" job.

be waiting to see your "mythical" rifle someday........... smirk

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by stlooiearch
" Looks like it will make a fine rifle for whoever purchased the components."

well mr. "I'm going to take a position although I'm still unemployed.", just who did you think bought it?

were you not so broke, I'd ask you to put your student loan $ where your mouth is.

it's on its way and when it arrives, I'll post pics of it for your edification.

you act more like 17 than 47, no wonder you had to try find a "guvenment" job.

be waiting to see your "mythical" rifle someday........... smirk

Lets see… I seem to remember a “So lets sum this up:” post from you in which you ridiculed and mocked me for my statements. You then continued to push the superiority of the 9.3x62 over the .35W in several subsequent posts, but despite this you then purchased a .35W while attempting to make me appear foolish for not watching the classifieds. You gave me a backhanded compliment, tempering it with your “hung-up on the .35W” comment, knowing I’d already addressed this question from you. I’d ask you; if someone carefully worded his comments in a way that was obviously designed to belittle you, as you did to me, would you find that person sincere and convincing? Just read your malicious comment, which I quoted above this post. Look at the manner in which you worded your juvenile and vindictive statement, then ask yourself who is acting like a 17 year-old.

I don’t recall making any statements about a government job, being unemployed, or being broke, which is pure conjecture on your part and again, these comments of yours are vindictive and designed to belittle and ridicule. My university employs me. Maybe it didn’t occur to you that I have expenses, which take precedence over a new rifle at this point in my life. Maybe it didn’t occur to you that your comments are both highly inconsiderate and insulting and are a prime example of immaturity.

I will acknowledge that you have made a few useful comments here and if you would like to continue in that vein, I’d welcome your input; otherwise, I’d respectfully ask you to go straight to hell.

Last edited by High_Noon; 07/02/16.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by High_Noon
...otherwise, I’d respectfully ask you to go straight to hell.

lol......

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by ironbender
...otherwise, I’d respectfully ask you to go straight to hell.

lol......

lol +1

Generally how things evolve when dealing with crazy people; just surprised it took so long. grin

Search term for unknowing:
site:24hourcampfire.com Larry Root

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Hahahahah, Larry fuggin' Root gets bitchslapped by a newbie. Beautiful!

Nigh Noon, don't let the ignoramus bother you. He's that pesky biting fly you just can't seem to swat hard enough to get rid of.

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As it always does, the truth will out.

You suckers will see the photos of the 35W IMP I bought right here.

You will never see High Noon's rifle as it will never exist.

watch and wait.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by stlooiearch
As it always does, the truth will out.

You suckers will see the photos of the 35W IMP I bought right here.

You will never see High Noon's rifle as it will never exist.

watch and wait.

Not surprisingly, you entirely missed the point.

Last edited by High_Noon; 07/03/16.

- Del Gue
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Yup,that's typical larry root.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
And I'm still waiting headinstool

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
If I ever had to replace my Remington Classic 35 Whelen, I might think long and hard about a Stainless Howa 338-06.
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by whelennut
If I ever had to replace my Remington Classic 35 Whelen, I might think long and hard about a Stainless Howa 338-06. whelennut

I've read that although the .338-06 may have better ballistics, the .35 Whelen performs better in the field, in other words it performs better than the ballistics would indicate. Having no first-hand experience with either, I would be interested to hear the opinions of those that have used both. Is the main advantage increased velocity? I guess you could AI the Whelen for an additional 100-150 fps, which seem like it's hardly worth the effort.

- Del Gue
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
The animal will not know what it was killed with. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by whelennut
If I ever had to replace my Remington Classic 35 Whelen, I might think long and hard about a Stainless Howa 338-06. whelennut

I've read that although the .338-06 may have better ballistics, the .35 Whelen performs better in the field, in other words it performs better than the ballistics would indicate. Having no first-hand experience with either, I would be interested to hear the opinions of those that have used both. Is the main advantage increased velocity? I guess you could AI the Whelen for an additional 100-150 fps, which seem like it's hardly worth the effort.

Main good reason for the AI is reduced case stretching... increased case capacity is not even good for 100fps in most situations.

It is slightly more efficient just because of the larger bullet base.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Sitka deer: Thanks.

- Del Gue
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
No problem...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
The animal will not know what it was killed with, even if it were shot with the lowly ol 30-06 and 200gr. partitions. wink

There I fixed it. Yes, I totally agree. I'll admit, after owning a 9.3x62mm and the 30-06 all these years I'm back to the 30-06 and sent the 9.3 down the road. There's not a whole hell of a lot the 30-06 CAN'T do with the right bullets.. wink ...Let's face it, how much more penetration and knock down power do you need than the 30-06 with a 200gr. partition? That's where I'm at in this whole debacle...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
The animal will not know what it was killed with, even if it were shot with the lowly ol 30-06 and 200gr. partitions. wink

There I fixed it. Yes, I totally agree. I'll admit, after owning a 9.3x62mm and the 30-06 all these years I'm back to the 30-06 and sent the 9.3 down the road. There's not a whole hell of a lot the 30-06 CAN'T do with the right bullets.. wink ...Let's face it, how much more penetration and knock down power do you need than the 30-06 with a 200gr. partition? That's where I'm at in this whole debacle...

If only there were such a thing as "knock down power."

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
High Noon go for the 35 Whelen, I still miss the one I had and one of these days will do a pre 64 Model 70 in the cartridge.

JOC was right. The 270 Winchester on a Model 70 is a great combination as is the 30/06 and 375 H&H

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Originally Posted by Sitka deer
If only there were such a thing as "knock down power."

bsa & Sitka deer: While I agree with your statements, how does the arbitrary term ‘stopping power’ play into the equation? What I mean is how does the caliber and weight of the bullet affect ‘killing power’? I thought I understood how velocity, sectional density, cross sectional area and energy played a role in bringing down a tough animal, but your statements have me questioning what I thought I knew. I do understand how penetration and bullet construction play a role as well. So why then is the .375 H&H a minimum caliber for dangerous game in many African countries? Sure, dangerous game can effectively be stopped with smaller calibers and shot-placement is key, but what are the advantages (other than recoil, perhaps) of using a .30-06 over a .35W or 9.2x63 – or vice versa – for any reasonable comparison one could make?

In the case of defending against a brown bear charge, would not a larger and ‘more powerful’ load be desirable? I personally have never been in such a situation, but I would think that in such a case that the 9.3x62 w/ a well-constructed 286 gr. Pill would be more effective than a .30-06 w/ a cup & core 200 grained bullet, and perhaps a 430 grained JFN in .45-70 would be better still at stopping a charge. Putting aside any preconceived notions, favoritism or arbitrary terms such as ‘killing power,’ my thinking is that penetration, along with shot placement are the most important factors in turning a charge or putting down a tough and/or enraged dangerous game animal. Of course, there are other intangibles such as field reports that state a particular caliber performed far in excess of what its ballistics would have indicated – should such reports be taken into consideration or discarded? So in this case, is the .30-06 just as effective as a larger caliber and if so why or why not?

- Del Gue
Page 14 of 25 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 24 25

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

523 members (257_X_50, 1_deuce, 16gage, 160user, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 61 invisible), 2,832 guests, and 1,456 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,752
Posts18,476,274
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.