Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 13 of 22 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 21 22
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Got my Les Baer with nine 185 Barnes' in it and a spare CM 8 rounder laying right here beside the mouse Tex, I know that fugger will run! smile

Trump Won!
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My Les Baer actually jammed once, recently. I fretted & fumed over it. At some point it dawned on me that I've never cleaned it in several years, and really tightly fitted pistols need occasional cleaning smirk

I have a Colt Gold Cup Trophy as well, one of the recent ones that has the Bomar-style rear sight. That thing eats anything, and shoots very well, too. I'm thinking Nighthawk-style night sights for it, and maybe get the frame checkered.

I fooled around recently with a Rock Island in .22 TCM, which is more or less a 9mm necked to .22. It had problems extracting, which is reported common in that caliber. I polished the chamber, then Ultra Bore Coated the chamber & feed ramp. It ran like a top thereafter, and I noticed the feedramp was much slicker in feel. I'm planning to experiment further with some of my other pistols, slicking up breech faces and feed ramps.

The Glocks and other guns frequently have nitrided (Tennifer) slides which have a hard surface. That may well be one reason for their reliability. Nitriding may not be in the cards for a 1911 slide, but polishing and UBC, is easy.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Dang, I keep my LB and AR's a little wet with Lucas gun oil, it's good stuff Tex.

I could probably leave my P226 in a damn mudhole all day, shake the water outta the barrel and empty the mag, the damn thing is reliable, and were I to go check cattle, brush hog or any other outside chores, I'd grab the 226 and a couple spare mags, stick it in a jeans watch pocket and go.

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The UBC/DBC treatment is a flat out wonder.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by smallfry
It's the truth that scares 1911 owners $hitless. 90% of all 1911 conversations are about how to make it more reliable or defending the reliability of the 1911. Congrats?

You're obviously one of the scared schittless ones & also one of the ones who is probably better off not owning a 1911. Those conversations are only taking place with those that fall into that category.

Just for conversation, went to the range this AM with 2 POS 1911's, a POS G-19, a POS Beretta 92, a POS Match High Standard .22, & a pair of POS AR-15's, each of a different version...............shot about 1,000 rounds between 3 shooters & all the guns, & lo & behold, not a single failure with any of those POS weapons, but I was holding my breath the whole time there.

The POS 1911's, POS G-19 & the POS Beretta 92 were all feeding on handloads.

Came home, had a cold beer, & tuned in here to some more intelligent conversation on the Camp'fire about people being scared schitless about 1911's.

MM

IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
A bit early in the day to have a beer.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by deflave

Dave

So is 5 a.m.....................but not if you started at 6 p.m.

Trump Won!
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by BobWills
After 10 pages, we finally get it settled. grin
Here is what this thread says:
1) The 1911 is a POS
2) Some people should not own a POS
3) Some guy knows a friend that had a POS and he didn't like it
4) Some posters say there is a better pistol out there and they name their favorite
5) Posters who are very familiar and highly experienced with the POS are ignored
6) Posters who wouldn't recognize a POS extractor when they see it are taken seriously
7) People who know nothing about a POS post their opinions
8) Those who really know and understand the POS are left wondering WTF??
9) Opinions are like azzholes: everybody seems to have one even if it stinks

Now that we have that settled, let's get to the really important stuff like who's got the cold beer?

I know it's weird but I never have a "dink" with my 1911's

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave

Dave

It was a light beer...........

Besides, after such an exceptional day with no 1911 failures, I just had to do it.

And on top of that I had to celebrate my two boys being home, one from the service, other one on vacation, being able to shoot as well.

Not often that all 3 of us can shoot together.

MM

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jwp475

I know it's weird but I never have a "dink" with my 1911's

I think that's kinda normal..............

MM

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
It's the truth that scares 1911 owners $hitless. 90% of all 1911 conversations are about how to make it more reliable or defending the reliability of the 1911. Congrats?

You're obviously one of the scared schittless ones & also one of the ones who is probably better off not owning a 1911. Those conversations are only taking place with those that fall into that category.

Just for conversation, went to the range this AM with 2 POS 1911's, a POS G-19, a POS Beretta 92, a POS Match High Standard .22, & a pair of POS AR-15's, each of a different version...............shot about 1,000 rounds between 3 shooters & all the guns, & lo & behold, not a single failure with any of those POS weapons, but I was holding my breath the whole time there.

Came home, had a cold beer, & tuned in here to some more intelligent conversation on the Camp'fire about people being scared schitless about 1911's.

MM

But you feel the need to defend 1911s, why? By all means spend time defending your flawless pistols, it's called a consciousness of guilt. I don't think most who have been around the block with pistols, think 1911s are even in the top 5 most reliable semi autos. Most of the posts by people who have reliable 1911s have consisted of owners lamenting the good old days of the flawless 1911, and how they aren't built that way now but "I gota 1911 that's worked flawless for years" an iffya get a good smith and dozen books you'll be ok. Talk about Stockholm syndrome with a pistol ffsake lmao. Congrats

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

MM

But you feel the need to defend 1911s, why? By all means spend time defending your flawless pistols, it's called a consciousness of guilt. I don't think most who have been around the block with pistols, think 1911s are even in the top 5 most reliable semi autos. Most of the posts by people who have reliable 1911s have consisted of owners lamenting the good old days of the flawless 1911, and how they aren't built that way now but "I gota 1911 that's worked flawless for years" an iffya get a good smith and dozen books you'll be ok. Talk about Stockholm syndrome with a pistol ffsake lmao. Congrats

Right........ crazy

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by BobWills
SF, I completly agree with that. But what pisses me off is some of these so called "modern makers" claiming their guns are superior to the originals and that they have "improved" them. That is simply not true because it is the originals that established the 1911's well deserved and hard earned reputation for reliability which is something many so called "modern 1911 pistols" do not have. What they have is advertising hype and glossy ads.

And I KNOW from painful experience, that many of todays parts do not interchange in many 1911 guns. They require hand fitting before they will work. What we have today are 1911 PATTERN guns, because they dam sho AIN'T an original Browning designed 1911 or 1911 A-1 pistol. If they were, they would work and we wouldn't have forum threads like this one.

But what the heck? It's something to talk and argue about until it cools off and hunting season get's here. grin grin

For what it's worth, if any of you boys feel inclined to build a 1911 pistol, I have not had problems with parts fitting or interchanging in the 1911 Colt built frames or slides, but I siick with the Series 70 guns because of the triggers. I was able to make a Series 80 Officers Model trigger improve a lot, but those new triggers with the firing pin block are an unnecessary aggravation, so I stay away from them and if you want a good trigger, you may want to also avoid them. And if you are afraid to carry a Series 70 type gun with a round in the chamber, cocked and locked, a 1911 ain't the pistol for you anyway. I even pin my grip safety down because I don't want to have to grip it like that to make it fire in case my shooting hand gets injured in the fight, or I have to shoot it weak (left) handed. But then, that's just me. I don't forget to take the safety off. It's an automatic thing.

I recently bought a stainless steel Taurus PT 1911 because it was cheap and a good platform to build a pistol on. It has a forged and machined frame and slide and came with good Heinie Straight Eight sights. I was a little anxious stripping all the MIM parts out (which means all of them) and replacing them with Cylinder and Slide parts, but I had no problems doing that and only the safety needed a little hand fitting, and even that didn't need much. It actually worked as a drop in, but it didn't work as smooth as I wanted, so I polished it up and that solved the problem.

I replaced the Henie rear sight with a Bomar (yeah. You have to file or machine the rear of the slide to make it fit) and installed a magazine funnel. I use that pistol for area combat matches and have no problems with it at all. It's had about 4000 rounds through it so far without a hickup of any kind while shooting my reloads and the accuracy has remained excellent using the Taurus barrel and bushing. I was surprised and pleased with that. I had expected to have to replace them also. If you can get over brand names on your pistol, you might want to try one of those. Or not. Some guys just have to have that fancy brand name. It must be nice to have money.

Sweet Jesus, that's a bunch of words for 'Or just buy a Glock'

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
It's really amazing. You say the 1911 isn't reliable and people have a melt down, yet they themselves talk about how modern 1911s aren't reliable.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

[/quote]Or perhaps it's something else...naw, couldn't be.

I mean it couldn't be that other people honestly have a very different experience...and have so for decades.

So is any contrary opinion a consciousness of guilt? Do you see what a ridiculous statement that was.

I guess the only valid opinions are those who say the 1911 is crap.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Last response to you & it is now clearly evident that you are now most definitely & profoundly one who should never, ever own a 1911.

My 1911's (double digit numbers) don't need any defense, & yes, as a matter of fact, they are all flawless.

But I'll admit to keeping them reasonably clean & not attempting to run them through 5,000 round durability tests w/o cleaning......which neither accomplishes nor proves anything; and, yes, they were all set up correctly before a single round was ever run through them.

I have no consciousness of guilt whatsoever either.........whatever that is.

As to a Top 5 gun for reliability (according to anyone who's been around the block, whoever that might be), I probably wouldn't argue too much with that when it comes to buying samples for all the various 1911 manufacturers & comparing them against all the various (better, top tier) plastic guns.

But............

A good 1911 can easily be a Top 5 pistol if it's right (but, still, maybe not according to anyone who's been around the block).

I own various other pistols not 1911's, like various Beretta's, M&P's, H-K, & Glocks & I have no problem liking any of them & carry a
G-19 equally as often as a 1911.

What I really don't like, & can't tolerate much of, is dumbasses who know nothing about 1911's yet want to condemn all of them because of getting a hold of a schitty one or two, which are surely out there, given the multitude of different manufacturers, some of them pretty schitty, & then not having a fu^cking clue about the gun & then getting on gun forums like this & running their mouths about how bad theirs (& by default) all other 1911's are.

And I could care less about the "old" 1911's or "the good old days" either..............the oldest 1911 that I own is a mid-1970's Combat Commander.

And, yes, it needed some work to remedy the non-throated barrel & the schitty stock Colt magazines from that era that came with it...........after that, it, like all the others, has been flawless, let me repeat that for you.............flawless, with all types of ammo, even with the schitty factory Colt magazines, with reconfigured lips & with correct followers & springs.

So smallfry, I hope you have a really nice day..........maybe suck on an egg or two.

Sincerely,

MM

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Lmao love the post and admissions.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by GunGeek

Or perhaps it's something else...naw, couldn't be.

I mean it couldn't be that other people honestly have a very different experience...and have so for decades.

So is any contrary opinion a consciousness of guilt? Do you see what a ridiculous statement that was.

I guess the only valid opinions are those who say the 1911 is crap. [/quote]

No, but you don't need to defend your flawless 1911s, because some 1911s are quite a bit more reliable than others. I had one built by Nelson Ford that I felt was fairly reliable. But I sold it because I didn't think it was reliable enough and better defensive pistols were on the market. Really I think the 1911 makes an absolutly $hitty combat gun for a lot of reasons. grin

Last edited by smallfry; 07/18/16.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Never saw anyone say all 1911s were flawless, just like not all Glocks or M&Ps or anything else is flawless. Your obsession is hilarious, though.

As for the 1911 being a terrible combat pistol; show another with the track record and years of service in as many theaters as the 1911 that beats it. You've only got the last 105 years and all the wars in it to go back over...

Page 13 of 22 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 21 22

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (1minute, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 06hunter59, 222Sako, 257 roberts, 53 invisible), 2,413 guests, and 1,202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,778
Posts18,515,708
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.