Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 47 of 150 1 2 45 46 47 48 49 149 150
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
if you can't drive a Hot Wheels Camaro through your see-throughs, they don't count.

and extra points for one of them TV screen Redfields.

My diploma is a DD214
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by battue
Well ya. They push the ocular down for LR shooting and pull it up for the closer range opportunities. wink

I learned that in Red's old joint. grin

LOL. Red's is the epicenter of people/hunter-watching in the northwoods.

It was fairly tame....until the Bear hunters arrived....

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by battue

It was fairly tame....until the Bear hunters arrived....

LOL!!! And you knew your cue to leave when you heard dueling banjos? smile

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Have to admit it became a little tense when this one gal was friending up while I was at the bar buying beers. No one in the seat beside her, so we were getting kinda close. Well, you know how crowded that place can get. Then her significant wanted his seat. We had a few words, but all calmed down shortly. grin

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Probably the most conversation she'd had in months. laugh

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well, you guys cost some sweet moolah today with this thread. I found a 7600 Carbine in 30-06 at the Syracuse gun show today. Used, but in great shape. I put a 2-7 Leupold VX-I on it. The action works pretty stiff though. Any suggestions on how to smooth it up?

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
RR

Good snag. And good choice on the scope.

As for the stiff action...the problem usually is a rubber 'O' ring inside the forearm mechanism. Take the forearm off and shoot some Rem Oil inside the tube. Work the action a couple of times. If that doesn't help, remove the slide and replace the 'O' ring. Get one the same size at Menards or some plumbing shop.

Most used 760/7600's that have been sitting for a couple of years have this problem. Easy fix. No worries.

WN

'Tis far better to walk alone than to follow a crowd going the wrong way.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Why hasnt anyone come up with a teflon ring in-lieu of the rubber crap? I remember replacing one the rubber ones, and the smith lubed it after replacing. Then at zero temps it froze up. Teflon would last forever and never need to be lubed.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I replaced the rubber o-ring on a 760 before. It wasn't easy.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
On the older 760's (I have a first year production .300 Savage) is their an o- ring? Also how would you replace it ? Mine does not have one.

IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by River_Ridge
Well, you guys cost some sweet moolah today with this thread. I found a 7600 Carbine in 30-06 at the Syracuse gun show today. Used, but in great shape. I put a 2-7 Leupold VX-I on it. The action works pretty stiff though. Any suggestions on how to smooth it up?

Couple things. Clean it, the slides and the o-ring. Simple fix and cheap. Take the trigger assembly out and clean it as well. The lever to be able to move the slid sometimes gets gummed up.

and the best fix...use it! Run a few mags through that sucker! Watch TV and work the action. She'll slicken up after a bit.

Camp is where you make it.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Remove the trigger assembly and clean out the receiver, bolt, and action bars. I use brake cleaner. Allow to dry and use a good synthetic light oil or Rem Drylube. Put a few drops of oil on the action tube the fore end works on.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Remington Dry lube works well in those for me as well.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mike_S
On the older 760's (I have a first year production .300 Savage) is their an o- ring? Also how would you replace it ? Mine does not have one.

Only the telescoping foreends have the o-ring.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hate to be a dumb a--. What is a telescoping fore end? My 760 rattles and I would like to fix it. Have had it apart and didn't see an o-ring.

Last edited by Dillonbuck; 09/19/16.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
In order to replace the O-ring you need to remove the barrel. The barrel is secured into the receiver by the lower steel tube under the barrel. The twin action bar slide with o-ring slides on this lower tube. You usually need heat to loosen the tube to remove the barrel. When re-assembled its needs to be loc-tite'd again. Its a lot of work for a 13 cent o-ring which brings be back to my teflon idea. Next one I do will get a teflon ring.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by TomM1
In order to replace the O-ring you need to remove the barrel. The barrel is secured into the receiver by the lower steel tube under the barrel. The twin action bar slide with o-ring slides on this lower tube. You usually need heat to loosen the tube to remove the barrel. When re-assembled its needs to be loc-tite'd again. Its a lot of work for a 13 cent o-ring which brings be back to my teflon idea. Next one I do will get a teflon ring.

Thanks..

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A good cleaning fixed it. It was a lot dirtier than I realized. I took it apart and hosed it out with electrical contact cleaner several times and lubed it. Then I cleaned the barrel, inside the receiver and trigger assembly. Now it works slicker than deer guts on a door knob. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by TomM1
In order to replace the O-ring you need to remove the barrel. The twin action bar slide with o-ring slides on this lower tube. You usually*** need heat*** to loosen the tube to remove the barrel.

They make a TOOL for removing the barrel on 760-7600-6 Rifles.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I've never used heat to remove the barrel. And I don't use loc tite to reinstall them. They are firmly attached and need to be RE firmly attached. I use a short 2x4 to bump the tool handle to loosen. Conversely, I BUMP the handle to RE attach.

Originally Posted by River_Ridge
A good cleaning fixed it. It was a lot dirtier than I realized.
Now it works slicker than deer guts on a door knob. Thanks for all the suggestions.

VERY GLAD it only needed a cleaning.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Hate to be a dumb a--. What is a telescoping fore end? My 760

rattles and I would like to fix it. Have had it apart and didn't see an o-ring.

If you retract the forearm and everything comes back with it, it's telescoping. If there is still a slide bar in front of it, it isn't.

Page 47 of 150 1 2 45 46 47 48 49 149 150

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (21, 160user, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 219 Wasp, 68 invisible), 2,569 guests, and 1,325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,088
Posts18,482,895
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.