Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 17 18
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by jorgeI
None of us fell of the sugar cane cart last night. Like I said... We went into this with eyes WIDE OPEN. We also knew that in order to maximize success, we would probably have to upgrade and we did. Some of you folks are SO FORTUNATE to live in great places like Montana, Idaho, NM, etc and more importantly, HAVE THE TIME to invest in a wilderness hunt. We do not.
Suffice to say and my friends have echoed, we worked our butts off going up and down terrain we are not accustomed to, not to mention the altitude, and in the end and most of all what matters to ME, I worked for my elk and a 330 yard shot is the same here as it is anywhere else, including the moon.

Jorge, you could have went on a real wilderness hunt for less than you paid to kill an elk at that high fence operation.

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Jorge, glad you and the boys had a good hunt. Nice bull.

Everyone should be able to hunt how they want. Jorge and his friends hunted how they wanted. Obviously, the OPs hunt was not what he wanted and he called a halt to it. Everyone did what they thought was right and decent and no one did anything illegal. We shouldn't all get our panties in a twist over this.

In everything I've ever seen about them, Broadmouth Canyon has never represented themselves to be anything more than what they say. They are a high fence operation that gives hunters opportunity to stalk and kill decent sized bulls. Any experienced hunter would or should understand what type of hunt that is. Jones has been in many of the hunting magazines over the years and it is always stated that it is high fenced. So, if you hunted there and didn't understand that was what you were getting, you either didn't pay attention or chose to ignore it. In any case, if the OP is unhappy, it's his own darn fault. JMHO.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by test1328

Everyone should be able to hunt how they want.

Hear! Hear! That's the spirit!

Let's call Fish and Game and git them azzholes straightened out straight away!

LOL
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
There is a lot of dumbass in Oregon.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Kind of a weird "report" from someone with your credentials. Would you go on another high fence hunt?

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I would think anyone with experience who objects to high fence hunting and does not want that type hunt, would know to avoid Broadmouth Canyon Ranch.

The place is not exactly spot news.It's been around for years..... sick

But I guess it's possible for stuff to fall through the cracks.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
it must be a big crack......

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by hatari

Again, sorry your experience was negative. I wish you had come with our group and perhaps it would have been a better time.

There is always someone on the internet to oppose any thought, idea, or experience.
You had a good time with friends, sounds like you had all of the exercise you could enjoy, and you took a great trophy to remind you of it. Thumbs up!

The OP reminds me of my brother. Everywhere I took him with me he had problems with the management. It didn't matter if it was my favorite rifle range, restaurant, hunting lease, auto salvage yard, whatever.

I don't go anywhere with him now, life is full of peace.

Last edited by StrayDog; 10/09/16.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by StrayDog

Again, sorry your experience was negative. I wish you had come with our group and perhaps it would have been a better time.

There is always someone on the internet to oppose any thought, idea, or experience.
You had a good time with friends, sounds like you had all of the exercise you could enjoy, and you took a great trophy to remind you of it. Thumbs up!

The OP reminds me of my brother. Everywhere I took him with me he had problems with the management. It didn't matter if it was my favorite rifle range, restaurant, hunting lease, auto salvage yard, whatever.

Sounds like the 'fire in general. There are an awful lot of folks here that choose to live miserably.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EdM

Sounds like the 'fire in general. There are an awful lot of folks here that choose to live miserably.

You are right, Seems like just saying great hunt glad you had good/great time is hard for some folks too say..

Last edited by 79S; 10/09/16.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Well, what I know is that I trust jorge and hatari's accounts of what happened, and their experience 100%.

The timing from the other party is, well, a little fishy to put it nicely.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by EdM

Unfortunately that's way too accurate. Makes you wonder if they know how to have a good time of if they just enjoy being miserable.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Yes, but to the uninitiated, phrases like "5000 acre preserve" and "fair chase feeling" can be misleading.

Not to mention front and center the " 518" World Record Typical Elk".

World record of what?! Feedlot cervids?........

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
:::SIGH::: ad-puke, the only one "shocked" at the well-described and long in existence operation was the OP. As to the world record, I suppose the antlers were glued on and regarding feedlot cervids, unlike here in the south, I did not see a single feeding station and I'll let the photos speak for themselves as far as the terrain. While there is no doubt elk in an eight square mile high fence operation lead short lives, I worked pretty darned hard for mine.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Jorge,

I look forward to meeting you next year at the DSC show.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Same here. We'll be there Wednesday through Sunday. Once we get closer to the date, I'll start a thread over on the Africa Forum and maybe we can exchange contact data via PMs.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by EdM

Couldn't agree more. I wouldn't waste a single breath trying to justify why I went on a legal hunt, with friends, and had loads of fun doing it.

Misery loves company, as EdM correctly pointed out.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hunters truly are our own worst enemy.

It is NOT because some hunters choose to spend their dime on a ranch hunt...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
From the website:
"The elk that live on the preserves are self-propagating."

link

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Not according to the link MIKEWERNER posted, here are a few excerpts:

"Officials inspect the fence twice a year and ranch hands check it regularly, Jones said, almost on a daily basis in summer months. Bad fences can cost the ranch its investment in domestic game animals, he noted, as the elk to stock a preserve cost from from $3,000 to $10,000 each."

"Since the eleven (elk) from the Howe ranch were tested, he said about 18 more elk have been imported from other areas around the country to keep the guided hunts going in the preserve, which earn in the $5,000 range and up. Testing on those elk taken by hunters has been negative for CWD, officials and Jones said."

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Page 5 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

223 members (320090T, 17CalFan, 1OntarioJim, 30incher, 24 invisible), 1,240 guests, and 975 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,980
Posts18,519,942
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.