+1

+2

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
Allipunol 300 mg daily will prevent it

So will an 8 oz. glass of tart cherry juice...I'll bet the tart cherry juice is a lot easier on both the pocket book and the liver...

What's the cost per day for the cherry juice dosage?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Uloric

Move up the 21st century.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Anybody here have it? Curious what you've done to deal with it. Short of cutting out red meat and alcohol. laugh

Yes. The flare-up shown below was the last one I had before going on allopurinol. In addition to the purple swelling, the tophi on the side of the joint grew quite a bit. This was the worst one I'd had and the effects were still being felt two months after onset. That's how long it took to get into my regular doctor to discuss going on the preventative. For me, I don't think there was a direct connection between alcohol and a flare-up. I say that because I hadn't had any alcohol for a long, long time leading up to this one. I did have one a few years ago after drinking beer but I think it had more to do with the dehydrating effect of alcohol than the beer ingredients. Like others have said, our triggers are somewhat unique. The common denominators for me have been dehydration and commercially processed meats, specifically sausage. My doctor didn't want to put me on a lifelong preventative until the attacks became frequent or severe enough to affect quality of life. I reached that point in Feb. Super Bowl weekend to be exact.
[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Thanks all

Been mixing the concentrated tart cherry juice with wild turkey but should be mixing it with Pepto lol.

Was mighty close to putting the 12 gauge to my big toe.

If you have dry eye that will cure it.

Briefly.

Dan

PS: You have big toes?????

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by slumlord
Uloric

Move up the 21st century.

You must have a much better prescription plan than me. Allopurinol is 15 cents per day versus $4.51/day for Uloric. For that difference I'll stay in the dark ages as allo keeps my uric acid below the danger range. It does work really well for Rick Bin though and he pays a lot less than I'd have to for the same dose.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
A big plate of chilaquiles should get you dancin' in no time.

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The pain is Frickin miserable!!! Mine always starts in my big toe!
Was on crutches a week before I could get in to see the Dr. a few years ago when it got into my knees.
I've been taking Alapurinol ever since and it's been like a miracle drug.

Foods that set mine off are peanuts, red beans, spinach, and gravy.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dingmo
Had it a few years now. Went to Doc to get a Rx for Allopurinol - works wonders to treat outbreaks or as a preventative.

For me - it helps to ensure my feet don't get cold, that seems to be a trigger. About time for heavier socks to come out...

As the temperature gets colder, I switch from beer (avoid porters and stouts after Nov) to Crown Royal. I'll still have an occasional beer - but it will be something light colored like a Bud.

Another key is to up your hydration. When I feel an attack coming, I'll drink water like crazy to drown it out. I'll try to take on 5 gal of water in a day to stave off an attack I feel coming. The combination of having excess fluid and the additional exercise of walking to the bathroom every ten minutes seems to work most times.

I will cut back on red meat during late winter - esp. venison. Pork, turkey or chicken about 75% of the time in winter.

Good luck - it can be brutal during a nasty bout!

You should give whisky a try.... wink

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
Check into tart Cherry juice, I've heard that's effective.

A few years ago I grabbed two quarts of tart cherry juice based on comments on one of the previous gout threads and put it in the pantry. When I felt it coming on, a slight itching sensation and ache in my left big toe joint I drank a quart, and then a second quart to be safe.

It didn't make the gout go away but I [bleep] like a goose for a few days.

Dave

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
You guys describing your problems with gout makes me a little paranoid.

Question, does gout have a genetic influence? In other words, do Genetics have a play whether or not you are susceptible to gout?

Any of you gout sufferers have parents that suffered from this also?

Last edited by Tarkio; 10/11/16.

Montana MOFO
RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have read a lot and had more than a few tell me what food and beverages I need to avoid but I am pretty consistent with my diet and I have never seen a trend.

However, I have noticed that before I have a gout attack, I have typically felt kidney pains likely due to dehydration due to insufficient water intake; I have been stoned a few time too.

With gout being a buildup of uric acid crystals in the joints from a buildup of uric acid, I thought it possible that dehydration may contribute to the buildup of uric acid. When I feel the symptoms, I start drinking like crazy madman, mostly water but some soft drinks too until I am pissing every hour and I have not had a serious attack in a few years.

Edit:

Coincidentally, my left kidney began aching a week ago and I started feeling the gout symptoms in my left toe and ball of my foot over the weekend.

Oddly, the kidney ache and gout seems to be on the same side each time.

Edit II:

If you have never experienced gout, to me it feels like someone smashed the joint where my big to joins my foot with a 5lb mini-sledge, and then every time something touches my foot it feels like someone slapping the swollen joint with a metal ruler.

Last edited by RDW; 10/11/16.

Dave

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Also, there is a rambo anti-inflamation drug called Indomethacin. This knocks my flares down pretty good. You need an RX to get it though.

But 458, I agree with you, now that I'm retired and have more time for bicycle riding and x-c skiing, the gout hasn't showed up for quite awhile. Also could be I'm in better shape, out doing things, and not being parked behind a desk in an air conditioned office.

JD

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Definitely get on the Allopurinol, and get the colchicine for flare ups. Hope you have Rx insurance for that one though. Try to figure out what foods trigger it. Took me forever to figure out pinto beans were what was kicking my ass. Google a list of foods that cause gout, and figure out which one is setting you off. Along with alcohol, cokes and the like are bad for it also. I wish a gout attack on Hillary daily...

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by JohnDog
Also, there is a rambo anti-inflamation drug called Indomethacin. This knocks my flares down pretty good. You need an RX to get it though.

But 458, I agree with you, now that I'm retired and have more time for bicycle riding and x-c skiing, the gout hasn't showed up for quite awhile. Also could be I'm in better shape, out doing things, and not being parked behind a desk in an air conditioned office.

JD

I take indomethacin at the first feeling that gout is coming on.
Colchicine tore my innards up!
The indo, and lots of water, seem to divert things before they get out of hand. Haven't had an attack in a couple of years+

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
BTW - there is a genetic link, IIRC - eastern Europeans (ie - Slavs) seem to have a high susceptibility.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Suffered from gout more than a few times. I've learned to stay ahead of the curve of an oncoming bout. Miss the symptoms at your peril!

Tart black cherry juice at the first symptom; the itch, mild pain and some redness. About 4oz couple times a day is all that's really necessary. Get off the beer, wine and hard liquor, also red meat. However, it's OK to keep a stash of allopurinol at the ready.
My Dr explained to me that beer is the worst contributor, next is wine and least is whiskey.

So, it's fish and whiskey for a while. Above all, moderation in all you do.

The things that come to those that wait may be the things left by those who got there first.

Unk
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by Tarkio

Question, does gout have a genetic influence? In other words, do Genetics have a play whether or not you are susceptible to gout?

Wifeys is all heart related.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
200 MG Allipurinul a day works for me. Can tell in one day when I quit.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Tarkio

IME, no. Both Pop's (86) and bro (60) have it full time on meds. I have never had it.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

258 members (308xray, 2ndwind, 30Gibbs, 338Rules, 257_X_50, 32 invisible), 2,150 guests, and 1,142 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,862
Posts18,478,596
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.