Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 18 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 17 18
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jaguartx
I guess some think the blessing of our once wild game animals should stay game animals rather than be equated with something bought and paid for. Let the moneyed get a Maserati.

I have a friend who makes more than a quarter million a year. He drives a seven or eight year old car. If you didn't know you wouldn't know he makes a lot by most standards. His wife has a nice van for to haul the kids.

What would he do with a Maserati?

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
My view is that high fence operations are farming. Privately owned elk or deer are livestock. The farmer can breed, raise, and butcher his own livestock in whatever manner is most profitable.
Elk fed hay and/or grain from feeders will become as tame as cattle. OTOH, range cattle can be as wild as wild elk, although a whole lot noisier when they run. A large fenced range where the elk are never handled or hand fed can produce elk as wild as those outside the fence.

These abnormally large antlered elk are the product of carefully controlled breeding programs and won't be found in the wild. The rancher has a pile of money invested in his breeding program and deserves to get the biggest return possible on his investment. It's no different than any other businessman who develops a product and tries for the biggest possible return in the market.
It's not my cup of tea but I have no problem with anyone who has the money to spend on it.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Ringman

It doesn't matter what Kind of car you drive. Hunting wild animals is hunting wild animals, and hunting animals that were bred, raised, and released is animal husbandry.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by jaguartx
I guess some think the blessing of our once wild game animals should stay game animals rather than be equated with something bought and paid for. Let the moneyed get a Maserati.

I have a friend who makes more than a quarter million a year. He drives a seven or eight year old car. If you didn't know you wouldn't know he makes a lot by most standards. His wife has a nice van for to haul the kids.

Well of course, what do SOME of the wealthy do with their $20,000 whitetails, elk and plastic tits?

Sorry, RM, I didnt mean to indicate ALL the wealthy do that.

I erroniously once harboured the stupid idea some things besides salvation should be sancrosanct. Of course, as you know, some would disagree even with that. Thanks, jag frown

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
5000 acres isn't squat for an elk. This was nothing more than a canned hunt. The B&C club agrees with me as well.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by smokepole

It doesn't matter what Kind of car you drive. Hunting wild animals is hunting wild animals, and hunting animals that were bred, raised, and released is animal husbandry.

Okay.

Everyday Hunter
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by BWalker
5000 acres isn't squat for an elk. This was nothing more than a canned hunt. The B&C club agrees with me as well.

Sorry but yes,a canned shoot. Nothing more nothing less. If you broke a sweat climbing off a horse to shoot does not change the facts. As some one else said they could have had the same hunt on a ranch elsewhere and the animals would have been free range. However they have groceries in the freezer. JMHO

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by sidepass
Originally Posted by BWalker

Sorry but yes,a canned shoot. Nothing more nothing less. If you broke a sweat climbing off a horse to shoot does not change the facts. As some one else said they could have had the same hunt on a ranch elsewhere and the animals would have been free range. However they have groceries in the freezer. JMHO

I mentioned a few ranches earlier that many people hunt yearly. They are all "free range and fair chase", but most of the elk are born and die on the same property. A few of the ranches have full time biologist to manage the elk for hunting.These ranches have ran 100% success for years.

Are these really that different?

I completely agree that high fenced hunts are not eligible for B&C or P&Y but is an animal that came off a ranch like this "equal" to an animal that was killed DIY on public land? I guarantee the bow hunter that kills a 375 bull on public land DIY doesn't think so.

Sometimes I think we are our worst enemy, not the non-hunting or anti's.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I can guarantee that this rifle hunter who killed a 320" bull with two of his best friends couldn't be more proud of his 100% wild, public land, free range, no horses, no fences, sleeping in a tent diy memory.

[Linked Image]

tedthorn, Snellstrom, graybird/imgoofy
[Linked Image]

I will add.....we had over an 8 mile round trip and took two trips.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I've hunted free range elk on public and private land and they act entirely different towards hunters because of hunting pressure.

8 square miles of high fence on a horse might just be comparable to fishing in a stocked trout stream

Its not for me

But as stated by myself on AR....

Jorge, I'm glad you enjoyed your trip and I'm also glad you accomplished harvesting a very large bull elk.

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
tedthorn,

Guys who use horse are not really hunting? How 'bout mules or llamas? Are those guys hunting?

Everyday Hunter
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Those horse guys are indeed hunting....

But in our area a horse or mule is mostly not an option.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
tedthorn,

Guys who use horse are not really hunting? How 'bout mules or llamas? Are those guys hunting?

Explaine how you derived that I said that using a horse is not hunting?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by SLM

I mentioned a few ranches earlier that many people hunt yearly. They are all "free range and fair chase", but most of the elk are born and die on the same property. A few of the ranches have full time biologist to manage the elk for hunting.These ranches have ran 100% success for years.

There's a lot of truth in that, and there's a broad continuum of difficulty in fair chase hunts. One thing's for sure and that is, no matter how far you hike or how "hard core" your hunt is, there's always someone right around the corner who can make you look like a piker.

Personally I don't consider it "hunting" when the animal was bred, raised, and bought by someone who then turns around and sells me the privilege of shooting it for a profit. That's just a business transaction.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
My two cents for what it's worth, but it seems like jorgi is up front about what this "hunt" is. It's obvious this sort of thing isn't for the majority of us even if was within our means, but at the end of the day a guy got out in the outdoors with his friends and came home with meat. Sounds good to me. Never fails to surprise me how tough hunters are on each other in regards to how their way is the only way and if you do anything else you are less then.

The only point that got me thinking in a negative way against this type of deal was the point made about how this kind of operation can potentially lead to loss of opportunity for other hunters. I think that's a thought worth pondering though it would probably take an extremely long time to come to fruition in any large way.

Jorgi, congrats on a fun time with your buddies. Not for me, but if it floats your boat good for you.

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- Michael Scott
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by SLM

There's a lot of truth in that, and there's a broad continuum of difficulty in fair chase hunts. One thing's for sure and that is, no matter how far you hike or how "hard core" your hunt is, there's always someone right around the corner who can make you look like a piker.

Exactly.

Unless you run around in a loin cloth chucking spears, someone will always say there way is more "sporting".

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SLM
Originally Posted by SLM

Exactly.

Unless you run around in a loin cloth chucking spears, someone will always say there way is more "sporting".

Maybe some here will remember the flack some guy got for taking an elk with a spear. You just can't please some people. crazy

Everyday Hunter
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
He didn't get flack for taking an elk with a spear. He got flack for being a douche on YouTube.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by LazyV
My two cents for what it's worth, but it seems like jorgi is up front about what this "hunt" is. It's obvious this sort of thing isn't for the majority of us even if was within our means, but at the end of the day a guy got out in the outdoors with his friends and came home with meat. Sounds good to me. Never fails to surprise me how tough hunters are on each other in regards to how their way is the only way and if you do anything else you are less then.

The only point that got me thinking in a negative way against this type of deal was the point made about how this kind of operation can potentially lead to loss of opportunity for other hunters. I think that's a thought worth pondering though it would probably take an extremely long time to come to fruition in any large way.

Jorgi, congrats on a fun time with your buddies. Not for me, but if it floats your boat good for you.

Good post, I fail to see how this will affect average hunter?

Sounds like Jorge and friends had a great time and fun hunt.

Jorge didn't portray this hunt as though it was a wilderness hunt and didn't brag as if he accomplished the same as a public land hunter on his own or even an outfitted wilderness hunt I don't see the problem?

I for one am glad they enjoyed themselves.

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is β€œgood” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Some of the responses here just bewilder me.

Jorge, Hatari, et.al. went on a nice hunting trip/vacation with their spouses and good friends. They paid for it with their own money they worked hard for and earned. They never represented the trip as anything other than what it was and posted a story and pictures about the fun they had.

Yet, some here take on like they robbed a bank to pay for it, then spotlighted the elk out of season then tried to claim the heads were the new B&C world records.

Why such a visceral reaction from some quarters? It makes no sense.

Last edited by hillbillybear; 10/13/16.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

οΏ½If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.οΏ½ Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Would the OP complain about hunting pigs in Idaho? We have only 1 tiny herd of wild pigs here and they can be very hard to find. That's why they haven't been eradicated by the F&G. There are game ranches that have pig hunting and that's the only way you can reasonably expect to hunt them.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Page 7 of 18 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (12344mag, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 55 invisible), 1,630 guests, and 1,281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,993
Posts18,520,295
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.