-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Well, okay. I've never owned a camper with a toilet, but I slept in one that did. Once. Was like having an farmhouse privy inside.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
J.J Hack had some sage advice on this earlier and he is spot on.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pal
Staying in a motel is not camping. The reason to have a travel trailer is to enjoy the outdoor experience and to be right near the fishing or whatever.

Regarding the suggestion to have a trailer with no toilet, but to crap outdoors, WTF is wrong with you? smile If your RV toilet smells bad, fix the damned thing! This is a non-issue.

This^^^

Spend the $10 for the tank chemical, close the door, turn on the fan. I ain't stumbling outside at 32 degrees to take a piss.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
I use a porta-potti in my 16' cargo trailer camper that I built long before they became commercially produced. It's very covenient. And, it tucks under the counter out of the way.

I carry both Honda atv's in it. I have had the two in the camper, one in the bed & one on the utility trailer behind the camper. God bless diesels.

For two hunters it has been simply great since 2003.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Crappie_Killer
My father in law did service work for Play-Mor trailers for over 25 years. The best advice he gave me on buying a used trailer was to look very closely at the roof and seams and if there were any signs of water intrusion, don't walk away, RUN.
Most of the older ones used putty tape around the seams, doors, and windows. That stuff has caused a multitude of headaches. They'd just install it using the pressure of the screws to seal it. That didn't work. If it wasn't squeezed tight, it would leak right from the factory. Then, after 5 or 10 years, it would dry out and crack, making bigger leaks.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
We just retired our tent after last season. Brother bought an older 17ft that we took this year for the two of us. As others have said gear storage can me an issue. Only real issue was almost freezing up the water one day. When we leave camp we usually leave the furnace on pilot and open any cupboard doors that have waterlines in them. The shower is our boot and gun locker once in camp.

A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.
Theodore Roosevelt
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What are you looking to get out of it, comfort wise, for you and the family? Hard side, pop up?

We are somewht minimalist in our wants and needs. Grew our family up between a family cabin with all the amenities and tents. Wife and I backpacked throughtout Colorado when we were younger and back into it in later years still. We finally upgraded from tenta to an off road pop up. Water, tiny refrigerator, furnace, 2 burner stove and an outdoor grill, solar panel for recharging the battery. We go civilized camping about 1 weekend a year, with friends who have an RV. Our fun is off the grid stuff. Me, the wife, 2 labrador retrievers and connect with our grown boys at least one week every year. We bought it slightly used, it had a small chemical toilet that was never used and "pull up shower enclosure". Biggest waste of space, even the wife wanted it taken out. When you are off the grid, the world can be your outhouse! The views outstanding and natural air freshener. It all depends on what you want/ need as far as creature comforts. .

There's 2 dates they carve on your tombstone.
Everyone knows what they mean.
What's more important is time that is known
as the little dash inbetween.

Razz
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
For more primative camping, one of these works great. Forget the bags and just take a folding shovel. The older you get, the better they work.
Don't get a Stansport, though. They're too flimsy. The Rothco is twice as strong and the same price.

[Linked Image]

― George Orwell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had a 21 footer that was great for wife and I and another couple went with us a few times. We made use of shower and toilet facilities at campgrounds but the main drawback was not having a real bed. We decided we would not buy another one unless it had a real made up bed in the rear.

24' tandem axle is the way to go and only one door.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I have a 22' Artic Fox travel trailer and it has worked well for longer trips dry camping. Larger water tanks,holding tanks, and well insulated. It equipped with heavier running gear and shocks on the axles. Does well on forest service roads.I highly recommend dual axles,blew two tires this last summer and was thankful for the tandem axles.Cheap trailer tires abound, spend a little extra for upgrade. Airstreams are awesome but very costly.

IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
For two adults and two kids. I second looking for a travel trailer with a slide out. I wouldn't buy a new one, they depreciate in value quickly. Looking for a used will save you a bundle. I do see a lot of Forest River models in Colorado but couldn't tell you how they compare to other makes.

Last edited by LostHighway; 10/28/16.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Tent trailer. One of the newer ones that sit higher with a small rack on the front that will fit gear or even a quad.

Deserve's got nuthin to do with it- Willam H Munny
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Having had both small and medium sized camp trailers, go with a twenty plus foot. If I was buying again I would get a 25 ft toy hauler. Remember if you camp and hunt in rain drying clothes is important. Most camp trailers have very little area to hang and dry! Plus the moisture gathers inside the trailer. We bring a small tent with a wood stove for hunting trips of a week or more in rainy weather. It might not rain where you live like it can here, but dry clothes are important! Dual axle,two propane tanks and a small generator. I lift my trailers three or four inches, and tuck the sewer drains up in the frame. Allowing access to many hunting spots I couldn't pull the trailer before lifting. One more thing load range E (10 ply) tires, on any camp trailer. My two cents for a hunting trailer!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My trailer originally had drop axles and the sewer drain was always in jeopardy. It didn't cost all that much to switch to straight axles with raised it 4". It makes a huge difference. It did necessitate a 2 step step instead of the original single step, though.

― George Orwell

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
My trailer originally had drop axles and the sewer drain was always in jeopardy. It didn't cost all that much to switch to straight axles with raised it 4". It makes a huge difference. It did necessitate a 2 step step instead of the original single step, though.

I need to have this done on mine.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just got back from hunting and tent camping yesterday,and I swore I'd never tent camp again.
Got up this morning and started reading this thread.
This afternoon I bought a 2017 Coachman Viking, 21 ft single axle

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I gave up and just built a house on a lake.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

659 members (16gage, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 12344mag, 160user, 70 invisible), 3,273 guests, and 1,359 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,751
Posts18,476,196
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.