Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 14
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
I wonder what RL 26 will do with 200s in the aught-six?

Buddies are using 26 and 200 ABs. One 20" suppressed and one 22" rifle. The 20 is getting right at 2700 and the 22" is in the mid 2700's. both of them are very accurate with the combo.

Semper Fi
GB1

J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
My old push feed M.70 Featherweight with 22" barrel gets 2730 fps with 60.5 grs. H-4831, 200 Sierra GK.

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
With Partitions I get 2700 with 59.0 grains from the 24" barrel.

Many years ago used to load up to 61 grains of H4831 (probably the made-in-Scotland version, the transition powder between the mil-surp and present Australian-made H4831 Extreme) in a 22" barreled Ruger 77 to get 2700. But that was in Winchester cases. Remingtons were heavier and only required 59 grains.

The Hodgdon top charge for 200's these days is 59.0 with AccuBonds, but that's at the long-time SAAMI maximum average pressure, which isn't very warm. Am sure I could add another grain, or maybe two, of H4831SC to the load for my NULA, but so far haven't bothered. 60 grains would get around 2750 and 61 2800.

Actually 2800 should be be reachable at 65,000 PSI in a 24" barrel with several modern powders.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks guys. Didn't think it was possible but glad I asked here.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Tag for later

Thanks for all the info. Considering a 200 NP as an elk load next year

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Has anyone tried R26 for the 200 grain load? I can't find any reference to R26 in the 30-06 at all but it could be a good match since it does so well in other 06 cases with heavy bullets.

Should at least equal R22 and 4831 or possibly exceed it in velocity.

RE: R22 & MRP
They well may be the same powder now. But what I gathered from internet lore and gun nut ramblings was they both started out with the same formula but got different coatings. One source claimed that R22 was a Bulk powder with up to +/-20% variation and MRP was a canister grade powder with +/- 10% variation. This could explain the kernel size variation of the older lots MRP was more carefully screened. No idea if this is fact or legend but sounds reasonable. MRP did seem more uniform lot to lot and less temperature sensitive than R22 but maybe not anymore.

Last edited by Tejano; 11/08/16.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by shaman
I have a question for y'all. I have a bunch of 30-06 rifles. I spent about the first 20 years of my deer hunting shooting 180 grainers at whitetails and thought they were the shizz. I switched to 165's and 150's only in my last 15 years. My question why 200's?

What are you hunting and how? What does 200 grains buy you?

I admit part of my exclusive use of 200 NPTs is I just like them. But I also want one bullet to hunt anything with in one rifle. I want a bullet that will work under almost all conditions. And I want a bullet that will kill from most any sane angle. I have no desire to experiment or change loads based on what I'm hunting.

There are other loads that will do this, but I could pick up my rifle and my 200 NPTs and hunt most of the World, without dinking around with loads and sighting in. I'm not hunting the World anytime soon, but it applies to anything in Wyoming too.

What would be the downside to using 200 NPTs?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I started using 200-grain Partitions in the .30-06 during the late 1970's. At the time I was doing a lot of my elk hunting in the thick, steep woods of northwestern Montana near the Idaho Panhandle, and shots were rarely much more than 100 yards. I had a .30-06 and wanted to make sure the bullet would penetrate sufficiently at almost any angle. At the time Partitions were basically the only controlled-expansion bullet available, though some guy in Idaho was also making a few bonded bullets he called "Bitterroots." I soon discovered 200 Partitions penetrated plenty, and also expanded easily on any deer I encountered without ruining much meat at all, even on very close shots.

A couple years later I bought a chronograph and started trying 200 Partitions at longer ranges. Back then "longer ranges" weren't 500+ yards, but out to 400, and I discovered the 200's shot just as flat as 180's. A year or two later I started experimenting with using a plex-scope reticle to judge distance, and as a longer-range aiming point. I started using the 200's in more open country, and found they expanded fine. Even shot a pronghorn with one, and found it killed the antelope pretty dead, pretty soon--and as on short-range deer, the bullet didn't shoot up much meat at all.

These days there are a lot of controlled-expansion bullets, but 200 Partitions shoot really well in my NULA .30-06, and on the ridge where I do most local elk hunting it's rare to find a place to even see past 300 yards. Just in case, however, I've also shot the 200 Partition load well past 300 at our local range, and can consistently hit hit a 6-inch gong at 450 yards from prone with a forend rest.

In fact I was just doing it this morning to make sure the rifle was properly zeroed, because I plan to head up there right now and see if I can find a legal elk (antlerless or brow-tined), a big mule deer buck or, closer to the creek bottom, a whitetail doe. I have tags for all three, and know from past experience the 200 Partition works well on all three.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Ralphie

There isn't one I can think of.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Ralphie

They kick more than 180's, which coincidentally, kick more than 165's.

Etc.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I shoot and have killed plenty of elk with 200's in both ought-six and 300 mags.

I like them for the above stated reasons.

I also find not a whole lot of difference between the Partition and the Sierra Gameking.

200's may have a little more push off the bench, but they sure don't in the field.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I'm not as recoil-tolerant as when younger, but didn't really notice the recoil of my 6-pound NULA with 200's during this morning's range session--which also included a 6-3/4 pound Tikka T3 Lite in .260 with 140's at 2650. Both worked equally well on gongs out to the same ranges.

One reason I've started using 200 Partitions in my NULA more for local hunting recently is an increase in grizzlies, including several sightings within a less than 10 miles (which is nothing to a grizzly) from where we do most elk hunting. I'm not grizzly-paranoid, having spent plenty of time around them for over 50 years, not just in Montana but Alaska (where I've hunted them twice, taking one) and several Canadian provinces and territories. But they weren't anywhere around here when we started hunting that area 26 years ago, and are now.

John Steinbeck
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by SU35
I shoot and have killed plenty of elk with 200's in both ought-six and 300 mags.

I also find not a whole lot of difference between the Partition and the Sierra Gameking.

200's may have a little more push off the bench, but they sure don't in the field.

You do realize the Nosler fanboys and Sierra haters are going to pout all over you for that statement....

Mathew 22: 37-39

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G

Terminal performance, or trajectory? What are your observations of the Sierra 200's penetration and meat damage when hitting bone?

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted By SU35

You do realize the Nosler fanboys and Sierra haters are going to pout all over you for that statement....

I'm a total Nosler slut and probably have more 30/200 NP's on my shelf than SGK's. but, the reality is, heavy for caliber Sierras do very well.

If I had a trophy elk hunt next week I wouldn't shy away from using them, SGK's.

They are a whole lot cheaper to shoot and practice with unless you can score on some Nosler 2nds or overruns

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Always felt the JOC 160 and ) 30cal 200s were underappreciated and used.

How do they compare downrange? The JOC still a "Semi-Point?"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I started using 200-grain Partitions in the .30-06 during the late 1970's. At the time I was doing a lot of my elk hunting in the thick, steep woods of northwestern Montana near the Idaho Panhandle, and shots were rarely much more than 100 yards. I had a .30-06 and wanted to make sure the bullet would penetrate sufficiently at almost any angle. At the time Partitions were basically the only controlled-expansion bullet available, though some guy in Idaho was also making a few bonded bullets he called "Bitterroots." I soon discovered 200 Partitions penetrated plenty, and also expanded easily on any deer I encountered without ruining much meat at all, even on very close shots.

A couple years later I bought a chronograph and started trying 200 Partitions at longer ranges. Back then "longer ranges" weren't 500+ yards, but out to 400, and I discovered the 200's shot just as flat as 180's. A year or two later I started experimenting with using a plex-scope reticle to judge distance, and as a longer-range aiming point. I started using the 200's in more open country, and found they expanded fine. Even shot a pronghorn with one, and found it killed the antelope pretty dead, pretty soon--and as on short-range deer, the bullet didn't shoot up much meat at all.

These days there are a lot of controlled-expansion bullets, but 200 Partitions shoot really well in my NULA .30-06, and on the ridge where I do most local elk hunting it's rare to find a place to even see past 300 yards. Just in case, however, I've also shot the 200 Partition load well past 300 at our local range, and can consistently hit hit a 6-inch gong at 450 yards from prone with a forend rest.

In fact I was just doing it this morning to make sure the rifle was properly zeroed, because I plan to head up there right now and see if I can find a legal elk (antlerless or brow-tined), a big mule deer buck or, closer to the creek bottom, a whitetail doe. I have tags for all three, and know from past experience the 200 Partition works well on all three.

That's as good a synopsis of the usefulness & flexibility of the '06 & a 200 grain load as I could have written myself. wink

MM

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted By SU35

I'm a total Nosler slut and probably have more 30/200 NP's on my shelf than SGK's. but, the reality is, heavy for caliber Sierras do very well.

If I had a trophy elk hunt next week I wouldn't shy away from using them, SGK's.

They are a whole lot cheaper to shoot and practice with unless you can score on some Nosler 2nds or overruns

Been tossing the idea of trying the .30 cal 200 gr SGK's in my .30/06.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wow, what a great thread! A lot of good information and experience being discussed and written AND about a great topic too. Feels like an old school 24hr campfire thread from back in the day when we all got along for the most part. grin

200 gn Partitions are great!

Carry on gents

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Picked up some Hornady 30 cal 225 grain BTHP this evening...

and have 4 pounds of that elusive RL 26...

going to try out that combo with some experimenting for velocity and accuracy...

and then compare that with my 4831 SC loads for the 220 grainer RN...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Page 4 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

400 members (10ring1, 160user, 163bc, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 35 invisible), 1,975 guests, and 1,067 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,760
Posts18,476,500
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.