A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Troutnut
Originally Posted by tkinak
I like a 10mm , mine are Glocks a 20, 29 and 40 . Kinda comes down to personal preference between revolver or semi. I like both but for different reasons.

Troutnut: How do you like the Glock 40, do you have optics on it? I have a 29 for hiking but was thinking a 40 for hunting.

To the OP, kinda depends what you want to do with it. That Dan Wesson would make a dandy hunting handgun. If you're just plinking 45's are cheaper to shoot. I ran a Delta for a while and have a S&W 57, still have the 57. If you can get the Delta for a fair price go for it. They are worth a pretty penny these days.
I like the G 40 so far , haven't shot it much yet though . Recently mounted a Burris ff3 just haven't shot it like that yet.

I have the Glock 40 with a Docter Optic on it, it's fast on target pick-up, and I haven't had any issues with the pistol or the optic. The long slide is pretty easy on recoil, much more than the straight 20 IMHO. I was pleasantly surprised by the lack of snap that I was expecting.

The gun carries as well as any revolver I have packed, and it's not going to rust in the rain without working at it. Holsters were sparse for it, but there are a few options popping up.

I just acquired a SW 357 in .41 that might beat it for carry, too soon to tell, and I haven't shoot it, yet. Some tell me that will be the day I decide to sell it as well.

I like the Delta Elites, but can't see paying the asking price for a 1911 with a pony, YMMV.

GB1

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by AH64guy
Originally Posted by tkinak
I like a 10mm , mine are Glocks a 20, 29 and 40 . Kinda comes down to personal preference between revolver or semi. I like both but for different reasons.

Troutnut: How do you like the Glock 40, do you have optics on it? I have a 29 for hiking but was thinking a 40 for hunting.

To the OP, kinda depends what you want to do with it. That Dan Wesson would make a dandy hunting handgun. If you're just plinking 45's are cheaper to shoot. I ran a Delta for a while and have a S&W 57, still have the 57. If you can get the Delta for a fair price go for it. They are worth a pretty penny these days.
I like the G 40 so far , haven't shot it much yet though . Recently mounted a Burris ff3 just haven't shot it like that yet.

I have the Glock 40 with a Docter Optic on it, it's fast on target pick-up, and I haven't had any issues with the pistol or the optic. The long slide is pretty easy on recoil, much more than the straight 20 IMHO. I was pleasantly surprised by the lack of snap that I was expecting.

The gun carries as well as any revolver I have packed, and it's not going to rust in the rain without working at it. Holsters were sparse for it, but there are a few options popping up.

I just acquired a SW 357 in .41 that might beat it for carry, too soon to tell, and I haven't shoot it, yet. Some tell me that will be the day I decide to sell it as well.

I like the Delta Elites, but can't see paying the asking price for a 1911 with a pony, YMMV.

Among my .41's is a 357. With full house loads it stings.

Mathew 22: 37-39

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
It took me a couple of years to find a S&W 357PD, love the gun. Even with full house loads less recoil to me than a 629 4". It is my hunting pistol, a joy to carry all day for the whole season. It will be one of the last to ever leave. As to 10mm vs 41 mag, depends on your use, the 10mm will never be able to do what the 41 mag can. A 41 mag revolver is not what a 10mm auto is.. Horses for courses.

Last edited by smithrjd; 11/18/16.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Never have been able to convince myself that I need a 10mm.............for anything.

But I rue the day that I let my S&W M-57 go; I'd keep the DW if you want it to hunt with & pick up a 4" or 6" M-57, depending on your needs.

The 41 is an extremely flexible round & is easy to load for & shoot.

JMHO, YMMV

MM

When it comes to acquiring a gun where exactly does "need" factor into your decision? Just so you know where I stand, I learned from my dad. My dad was a very frugal man. We didn't do without the basics and we had some nice things, but he managed to put away quite a bit of money as a Professional Civil Engineer. When he needed something, it still called for weeks of self-deliberation before he could justify buying usually a tool, as something he needed. He raised us that way, more leading by example than lecturing us. When I was in my 30s, my dad was talking about guns and he told me, "son, you don't have to need a gun to buy one; wanting one and having the money to buy it is fine." You can't imagine the shock to my system to hear him admit that. He had a very nice gun collection that he passed on to my brother and me before he passed from Alzheimer's in 2012.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ok, I'll clarify it for you then.

Never been able to convince myself that I wanted a 10mm..........for anything.

MM

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Ok, I'll clarify it for you then.

Never been able to convince myself that I wanted a 10mm..........for anything.

MM

Sorry about that. I didn't mean for my post to be a serious critique of your decision making style when you pick which gun you want. It makes me happy whenever anyone acquires another gun that will then be in private hands and harder for the government to find. If you don't need it or want it isn't really my business. I apologize, I didn't mean to offend you.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Magnumdood
Never have been able to convince myself that I need a 10mm.............for anything.

But I rue the day that I let my S&W M-57 go; I'd keep the DW if you want it to hunt with & pick up a 4" or 6" M-57, depending on your needs.

The 41 is an extremely flexible round & is easy to load for & shoot.

JMHO, YMMV

MM

When it comes to acquiring a gun where exactly does "need" factor into your decision? Just so you know where I stand, I learned from my dad. My dad was a very frugal man. We didn't do without the basics and we had some nice things, but he managed to put away quite a bit of money as a Professional Civil Engineer. When he needed something, it still called for weeks of self-deliberation before he could justify buying usually a tool, as something he needed. He raised us that way, more leading by example than lecturing us. When I was in my 30s, my dad was talking about guns and he told me, "son, you don't have to need a gun to buy one; wanting one and having the money to buy it is fine." You can't imagine the shock to my system to hear him admit that. He had a very nice gun collection that he passed on to my brother and me before he passed from Alzheimer's in 2012.
Your father was a great man. That's how I try to live my life as well. May he rest in peace.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by AH64guy
I just acquired a SW 357 in .41 that might beat it for carry, too soon to tell, and I haven't shot it, yet. Some tell me that will be the day I decide to sell it as well.

...having had both the 357PD and NG do yourself a favor and buy a set to S&W Hogue 500 grips before you ever pull the trigger especially if you are planning on shooting a standard factory load. Although the recoil isn't near as bad as a 329PD it is still stout and the recoil with the open back or wood grips is not at all pleasant...

The Winchester 175 Silvertip or Federal 180 Barnes recoil much less than the 210s...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Still kicking this around, I just like to try diffrent hand guns, the 41 Dan Wesson is my 1st 41 ever! has the best trigger of any rev. Iv ever shot. I just dont know how much ill use it same with the 10MM, right now Im loveing the 44 Bulldog I got not to long ago! its a keeper, Iv owned at least 40 handguns in my life, but now days just getting a few that Iv wanted, to try, I have no kids to leave them too, But Medical & Health troubles made me sell 52 guns in 2012, down to a Handfull now! Thanks for the info!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Sorry to hear about you medical/financial troubles!

That is the great thing about firearms, purchase wisely and you can always get your money back. Usually with better earnings than any bank.

That Colt would be a great investment.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Your father was a great man. That's how I try to live my life as well. May he rest in peace.

Thanks Ethan, I really appreciate that. As I grew older, married and had their first grandchild, my dad became my closest friend and yet remained my father. The breadth and depth of his knowledge amazes me to this day. I still find myself seeing something odd and thinking, "I need to call dad and tell him about this". I'll miss him forever. He was the Patriarch of the extended family. Losing him shook everyone up.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I'd keep that .41 forever.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
i showed a friend last evening a 2.75inch ruger .41mag redhawk.
then i showed them those 270grain cast hollowpoints, solids, pentads etc i had loaded in that weight.

His comment was "much smoke."
And i can go the other way with a .41special load too.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Waders
....just get a 1911 (or Glock) in .45 ACP.

And make it a 45 Super.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Having had a few 10mm's and a few .41 Magnums I prefer the .41, only because I don't like chasing brass and I handload for both cartridges. If I could find a S&W 610 I could have the best of both worlds grin

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
You need both or at least that's what I told myself... I have a custom caspian 6" 10mm and a custom Blackhawk in .41M

ML

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all my gear for what I said I paid for it.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
i showed a friend last evening a 2.75inch ruger .41mag redhawk.
then i showed them those 270grain cast hollowpoints, solids, pentads etc i had loaded in that weight.

His comment was "much smoke."
And i can go the other way with a .41special load too.

He should have asked "much flame". Lol

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've only ever owned 1 10mm , a Glock 20. It stayed a while then it went away.

I have several 41s , including a Dan Wesson. 41s come here & stay.

In my mind , 41 or 10mm , either one is a cartridge for handloaders if you want to shoot much.

The 41 doesn't have me chasing brass.

Days that I feel like a semiauto pistol I just pack a 1911 45

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Fellows Thanks to all the input! Ill think the 41 has a forever Home! looked at the Delta this afternoon, and for the price its more than im going to fool with, I have the 41 mag. the dies brass ect. already! Thanks again!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mntngoat
You need both or at least that's what I told myself... I have a custom caspian 6" 10mm and a custom Blackhawk in .41M

ML

You are a horrible person, sir. smile

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (17CalFan, 007FJ, 160user, 12344mag, 1337Fungi, 10gaugemag, 73 invisible), 2,456 guests, and 1,225 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,777
Posts18,477,000
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.