-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The 2.5-8 is an excellent choice for a lightweight. I've got several on Kimber Montanas. All of my 2.5-8x36s except one have the B&C reticle and, contrary to what a lot of others feel, I don't find the reticle too busy at all. On my lightweight rifles it's always been a toss-up between the 2.5-8 and the fixed 6s with dots.

Last edited by TheBigSky; 11/22/16.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
HR IC

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by bellydeep
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Originally Posted by bellydeep
You're not going to find a rail for the Forbes.

I've got 3 different Forbes and NULA's with rails on them. Pick your model and 0 or 20 MOA:

http://swfa.com/Ultra-Light-Arms-C4489.aspx

Oh man! You made my day. I called Melvin over a year ago asking if there was any other option than Talley LW's. He said they were the only bases/mounts available.

Should say that SWFA has been out of the base I needed twice but it was only a week or so for them to get it.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
You might do well to consider the current Zeiss Terra 3x9x42. Nothing is clearer or brighter, and the resolution is what you really want. $234 locally, right now, a huge bargain.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I'm getting to be an old timer. Judge accordingly. My LW .270 (Blaser) wears a Leupold 2.5-8 and has for some twenty years. No dots, no knobs, just a duplex. It works for me. I have likely made my last 500 yard shot as I am getting a bit shakey, but it has been done.

I may be missing out not using turrets, but up until now,everything has been OK.

Best,

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
My Forbes has a 3.5-10x40 CDS Leupold, works well for me

Double_D
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Scott, lots of people recommend that Nightforce. I better start saving!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

Thanks Sam,I may have to look into one of those. How does the glass compare to other scopes you have used?

I have one pet peeve about scopes. I like for the image to go all the way to the edge of the ocular tube without a black ring at the edge. I use both kinds of scopes but I much prefer for the image to extent right to the aluminum. How does that Tract look in that respect?

R H, I only have 'newer' Leupolds and one Zeiss Conquest to compare it to and honestly haven't a done a side by side test yet.

It is very clear and bright.

As far as image to the edge goes a 6x42 Leupold will beat it. The 6x42 beats all my other scopes though as well. I would say the Tract is similar the 6x36 and 2.5-8x36 Leupolds in that regard.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Jeez,does everything have to turn into a pissing contest?

Does it matter if one guy wants a light weight scope on his light weight rifle but another prefers to choose something heavier that he has more confidence in? I don't think either one is necessarily wrong. Personally I'm glad we aren't all the same.

Anyway,sorry I got anything started.My thanks to everyone for their input.

RH, I wish you the best luck in finding the perfect scope for your lightweight 270. I have the same conundrum, and have been trying to deal with it. I know these guys mean well with their suggestions, but I for one would not use a 6x leupold for shots extending to 500 yards, as you mentioned in your OP. I also wouldn't throw a 19 oz. scope on a lightweight rifle. That's just counterproductive. Some of these guys don't get what "balance" really means. It's not balancing it on the head of a pin, but how it feels in your hand when you're packing the SOB all day long. A light azzed Montana with a 19 oz. scope is going to be top heavy and not pack well at all. Not a problem if you have it slung across your shoulder all day, but that's not the way a lot of us hunt. Being in your situation, I've been eyeballing the Leupold vx3i 4.5-14x40 with side focus and 30mm tube. That scope has a lot of nice features, with many reticle choices to choose from, and weighs in at 15 oz's. Having had a couple VX3 3.5-10x40 scopes, that's another great scope to consider. Good luck with your decision...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by SKane

Personally, I'd cut to the chase, save a few more nickels and start hunting for a used Nightforce NXS in 2.5x10 (in either 32 or 42mm with illumination).
You will waste more cheddar trying to find the right fit and selling the wrong fits at a loss.

Personally I think Scott answered the question a page back.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

RH, I wish you the best luck in finding the perfect scope for your lightweight 270. I have the same conundrum, and have been trying to deal with it. I know these guys mean well with their suggestions, but I for one would not use a 6x leupold for shots extending to 500 yards, as you mentioned in your OP. I also wouldn't throw a 19 oz. scope on a lightweight rifle. That's just counterproductive. Some of these guys don't get what "balance" really means. It's not balancing it on the head of a pin, but how it feels in your hand when you're packing the SOB all day long. A light azzed Montana with a 19 oz. scope is going to be top heavy and not pack well at all. Not a problem if you have it slung across your shoulder all day, but that's not the way a lot of us hunt. Being in your situation, I've been eyeballing the Leupold vx3i 4.5-14x40 with side focus and 30mm tube. That scope has a lot of nice features, with many reticle choices to choose from, and weighs in at 15 oz's. Having had a couple VX3 3.5-10x40 scopes, that's another great scope to consider. Good luck with your decision...

I hunted for two weeks in the mountains last year, carried my 84m w/ 19ounce SWFA SS 3-9x42 in my hands almost the entire time. Wasn't the package I had planned on bringing, but Leupold FX3 6x42 died 2 weeks before time to leave and I had to make a quick change.

The combination of the 84m and SWFA SS 3-9x42 carried really well. I understand completely what you and others are referring to balance. Difference is I've tried it and found it works pretty well as opposed to just talking about it. I've noticed that a lot of folks that actually try come to the same conclusion.

David

IC B3

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I own 2 Forbes, 243 and .260. they wear a Zeiss conquest of 3-9x40 R600 and Zeiss HD5 3-15x42 respectively. Yes the Zeiss weighs more than a Leopold but for me there are 3 things far more important than weight in an optic: quality of glass, eye box and constant eye relief. The Zeiss does all those 3 things much better than. A leupy. I don't care if they are 50-100 grams heavier

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R_H_Clark, why not the Vortex Razor? Interestingly, in an earlier thread on scopes for a Kimber Montana you got me looking at the Vortex Razor HD LH 1.5-8x32.
Optics Planet has 13% off going on right now which would put it at $652 bucks. I may try one out.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

63 members (Akhutr, beefan, 358wsm, 2500HD, bosshoff, 12 invisible), 1,385 guests, and 731 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,924
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.