Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by 405wcf
I sure would like to find a do it all duck hunting glove. Until that happens here's what I use for decoy gloves in December ice water hunts:

https://www.amazon.com/Extreme-Weat...19029&sr=8-7&keywords=pvc+gloves

My hands do get cold pulling a lot of frozen decoys, but they stay dry. It's much easier to warm them up if they are not wet.

I wear shooting mittens for the shooting part.

405wcf

Those are what I use for picking up decoys. I've often wished for a do it all glove for duck hunting but there's just no such thing. Most of the thin, waterproof gloves will end up ripped, sooner rather than later with all that's involved with launching a boat in the dark at freezing temperatures and none are worth a schitt for handling a gun. About the only way to go is something like shown for picking up decoys, another pair of work gloves for boat launching and travel, two or three pairs of warm gloves light enough to handle a shotgun (because one will get wet no matter what. Still, always have that dream of a pair of gloves I can put on when I get out of the truck to launch the boat and not have to take off or change out until I get back in the truck. Seems like in this day and age someone could come up with something.

Mathew 22: 37-39

GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by UNCCGrad

The Seirus Xtreme gloves get good reviews.

i have had them for a couple years. seem waterproof but i'm not a duck hunter. but they ain't close to what i'd call "extreme". my fingers were cold the other day and it was 30 degrees. they are a very tight fit and take some work to get on but they do allow a good level of dexterity once they're on. because they are tight, when you pull them off the liner comes out and then you have to push each individual finger back in.

My diploma is a DD214
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
As most have said their is no one glove answer. There is no beast that is both trigger weight light, waterproof AND warm. Fix your mind on a two glove system.

Need a pair of gauntlet length heavy rubber or neoprene for the decoy pickup. That is the only purpose for those gloves. Separate pair of thin shooting gloves, some hand warmers and one of those muff's (or whatever their called) that you wear around your neck to put your hands in. That's the system.

I've shot ducks, or hoped to shoot ducks, in some terrible stuff. I don't like being cold. I won't tolerate being wet AND cold.

Liberalism; The impossible yet accepted notion that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
For late season, long neoprene gloves for setting and picking up decoys (I sit on them to keep them from freezing solid) and for everything else, a muff, hand warmers, and black foam nitrile coated gloves to keep the sting off.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Kast gear makes good fishing gloves. https://www.kastgear.com/

These work well; Orvis was making a similar one, I use them for cold weather fishing.

Fine for shooting & loading shells, probably not what you want for picking up decoys.

MM

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I used a pair of those gauntlet insulated gloves for tossing out and picking up decoys for years. I took them off when in the blind and wore a pair of cabretta leather foam insulated Bob Allen shooting gloves. That was at least thirty years ago but I have never found a warmer glove for hunting than those. They could not be around water as they sucked it up.

I also have one of those hand muffs that your wear with the strap around your neck. Good place to stick a hand warmer.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Seal Skinz do the trick for what you are wanting but once your hand gets wet they are a bitch to get back on. When you are pulling blocks just put a pair of crabbers gloves over them.

Lowcountry Wildlife Management
Knowing Wildlife Beyond Science
[email protected]
Genesis 9;2
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Strick9
Seal Skinz do the trick for what you are wanting but once your hand gets wet they are a bitch to get back on. When you are pulling blocks just put a pair of crabbers gloves over them.

I had a pair of them several years ago, but they didn't hold up to everything involved with launching a boat and getting set up, within a short time they had ripped out on the seams.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Kast gear makes good fishing gloves. https://www.kastgear.com/

These work well; Orvis was making a similar one, I use them for cold weather fishing.

Fine for shooting & loading shells, probably not what you want for picking up decoys.

MM

I have thought about getting a pair of these for steelheading, but they look like something that wouldn't hold up to a lot of late-season waterfowl work. At $80/pair I don't think I'd risk it.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Harbor freight carries different mil thickness nitrile gloves that might work for you.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
The problem is that with damp hands, you can't take them off without the inside layer inverting as you pull your fingers out. Then you have to push them back in with a stick or something before you can put them back

Rock Chuck, with surgical/sterile gloves you can blow inside to re-expand them, not done in sterile fields of course, but it works without stuffing anything inside. Can also spin them so they close and squeeze them, fingers stretch again. Not sure if Goretex will responde the same as latex, and clearly I have no input into the OPs question grin crazy

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
I use these for hunting and fishing

https://www.sealskinz.com/US/gloves?limit=none

Still trying to be the Man my dogs think I am
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Sponxx
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
The problem is that with damp hands, you can't take them off without the inside layer inverting as you pull your fingers out. Then you have to push them back in with a stick or something before you can put them back

Rock Chuck, with surgical/sterile gloves you can blow inside to re-expand them, not done in sterile fields of course, but it works without stuffing anything inside. Can also spin them so they close and squeeze them, fingers stretch again. Not sure if Goretex will responde the same as latex, and clearly I have no input into the OPs question grin crazy
Gore-tex gloves have the GT membrane inside. When your hands are damp, it'll stick and pull out when you take them off. Blowing in the certainly won't put it back in. I've tried every trick and the best way is to leave them at home. I have 2 pairs that aren't worth the effort.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

638 members (007FJ, 1minute, 1936M71, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1234, 64 invisible), 2,880 guests, and 1,285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,371
Posts18,469,186
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.